All Coast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What speed do you troll for Marlin? How do you catch flying fish for bait? What temp. do they hang in? Just some questions may try for tails and dolphin this weekend at cat. but would like to run into a marlin if possilbe.
Thanks
Tony
PS bad tuna bones you gonna be out there this weekend? i will be out friday maybe but sat and sun for sure.
see ya

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
We trool for marlin at about the same speed we troll for tuna. Keep the lures in the water - skippin = not fishin.

As for "catching" flying fish, well, we used to catch them at Catalina AND we'd buy them in Avalon harbor from some local guys. We'd buy "tied flyers" for marlin bait. This is a flying fish that is dead, and has its eyes and mouth sewn with light cord to keep the mouth from being ripped off and eyes from blowing out during the troll. Expect to pay several dollars a piece for them. In any event, if you catch your own and use them dead, be sure you tie the mouth and eyes.

As for "catching" flying fish, well - it goes like this:(Note - I do NOT know if this is legal, or what other aspects may be in violation here - but this is how we did it 30 years ago)
Get your self three floating barber poles that reach about 4' above the water. Be sure they have enough rode with anchor to reach the bottom.

Next you'll need about 50' of drift net that's about 4' wide.

Anchor the two outside barbor poles about 50' apart and put the third one between the two outside poles, and attach the drift net between the two poles, using the middle one to help keep the net from drooping to the water. Attach kemlites to the top of the barber poles so you - and other boater can see them and hopefully stay clear and not drive over your net.

By the way - do this in the evening.

After it gets dark, you'll want to drive around the area of the net with a big serach light ON, spooking up the flyers. When they break the water, hopefully they are flying in the direction of the net.

I think you can figure out the rest??

JB

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much that info is very helpful to have go at it at least. as for the flyers, ya i kinda figured at night when i was young and was at the island we would go out at night and shine a light and they would just jump in the boat.. just wondered if there was a different way of doing this. thanks...so just skip the lures across the water on the troll, cool no problem.. thank you again.
tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts