All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys probably saw my post before about fuel prices. i did get a very professional letter back from the manager of the dock. i won't go into details but basically there are several ways to go about lowering the prices but when i responded with the suggestions i got no further response. apparently janks sells for less than the local fuel dock's cost per gallon, or so i'm told. common logic says to buy from janks in bulk and get a price break on their price for volume....thus forcing the current supplier to lower their price to compete. that's business.

anyway in unrelated news i just stumbled on this link:

http://www.doi.gov/news/06_News_Releases/060605.htm

it's a report from the US dept of the interior on money to be allocated to various rehabilitation projects in marinas and harbors nationwide. under the plan over $800,000 is granted to the fuel dock to revamp it and make it "state of the art". the fuel dock, boatyard, and various nameless places are to match those funds by almost 300% to get the project done. i can't wait to see what the fuel dock looks like with a $3million revamp. i wonder what you can do for THAT much money on a dock! purely speculation but it makes you wonder how much of the increased fuel prices are supposed to be going in the kitty to fund the project. call me lame, but i was rather fond of the reasonable prices and wood dock.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Interesting!

What I have heard is that the present fuel dock is to be torn out with some provision for re-fueling during construction, the slips behind also, and large concrete area to be built with a coffee bar/sandwich joint, tackle store, etc. to compliment the fuel dock. I'm sure we are paying for some of the re-hab with the outrageous fuel cost. The good news is that the best quality bait business on the coast, Larry Deere's Inseine Bait, will remain.

The former lessee told me that LA County, the owner of MDR, gets 20% of each gallon sold. That would naturally make MDR fuel more expensive. But I suppose LA City must get something from Yank.

Just keep this in mind - we are generally getting hosed in CA on fuel. A guy recently posted on the tech board that he is paying, ready for this, $1.88 a gallon for diesel in either Port Elizabeth or Port Arthur, Texas, forget which. Sure remember the price!

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh the good old days! if you really want an upset stomach, check out this info....

in 1999 in los angeles county the average price of diesel each month when purchased at a volume of 600gallons at fuel docks fluctuated between 71cents per gallon and $1.05 a gallon. doesn't seem like 1999 was that long ago, but i guess a LOT has changed since then....most notably 9/11. crazy that the price could quadruple though in 7 years. imagine if other products did that!

i have a pdf that goes into detail with charts and such on fuel dock prices in alaska, washington, oregon, and california. i can email it if anyone is interested. it's just good reading, that's all.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
There is a partially approved proposal to "remodel" a fuel dock in MDR on the books. The applicant is "The Boat Yard". Is this a competitor to the existing operator? There is also a proposal to install drystack storage in MDR. Should be interesting to some of you that store on hydrolifts and liner systems (read Freddie)
CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

EDIT:
Should have read Freddie's post before hitting enter

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Jake,

Sent you an email. BTW, I keep a fishing log which includes a maintenance schedule and fuel fillups at MDR.

In 2002, I paid a low of $1.20 to a high of $1.79
in 2003, I paid a consistent average of #1.59
in 2004, I paid an average of $1.92

2004 is only 2 years ago!!! Now MDR is $3.79 a gallon! At the same time the oil giants are reporting record profits. what's changed, the oil companies' profits have changed. If I hear the spot market prices, of which only 5% are ever delivered, quoted again as the explantion of high fuel prices, I'll puke. As if the oil companies buy spot oil - hell they pump it, transport it, refine it, and market it. My blood pressure in rising, so I think I'll stop right here.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts