Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the weekend i noticed that my tanks are down below half. it's about time for me to fuel. i wandered down to the fuel dock to check prices and they are at $3.79 for diesel with 201 to 500 gallons only yielding a 10cent price break. OUCH!

i talked to one of the attendants (very nice people) and asked who i could write to about the excessive price. he told me that the owner of "the boatyard" (not to be confused with windward yacht repair) is the new owner of the fuel dock.

well this got me thinking.....you can't get prices down at the fuel dock because their is no competition. many people go to jank's in san pedro for fuel...but some people just swallow it. you CAN however hurt the boatyard revenue by not hauling out there. in fact, i'll be the boatyard revenue is the majority of the company's income. the fuel is probably an afterthought.

when i schedule my next haulout/bottompaint/underwater lights/etc it's not going to be the boatyard. i'll use windward (superior service and quality anyhow). i'd urge anyone else with a slip boat in MDR to do the same. also, let people on your dock know who's sticking it to them for the fuel as well. i have a feeling a little wakeup call can make a difference in fuel prices over the next year or so.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Craig Campbell is THE NEW GENERAL MANAGER and OWNER.
The NEW TELEPHONE NUMBER for the Del Rey Fuel Dock is (310) 574-4443.
Craig can also be reached via email @ [email protected]

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Another Approach

I agree that the problem is a lack of competition. There used to be two fuel docks, both leased from the County. The story I heard is that the former owner of the 76 dock acquired the second lease and closed the station. That station's remnants (an old dock) still sit vacant today.

The real solution is to bring a little competition by encouraging the County to lease the second station to a competing operator. Of course, the county has an economic interest in maintaining high fuel prices, since they get percentage rent. Even so, a bunch of letters to the Supervisors may get some action. If that doesn't work, it may be possible to get some news coverage (especially in light of the other criticism of the County's Marina planning actions).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. the phone number really doesn't do a lot of good because the guys on the dock can't do anything about it. the email address is VERY helpful though. in fact, i've already sent a very polite email to craig. i've heard he's actually a nice guy. that nice guy is taking a lot of my money though.....not good!

thanks for the info jsea. let me know if any of you other guys make contact as well. i'm curious to know what the feedback is.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I talk to Craig periodically, although I won't be contacting him on this.
That is up to you okay.
You have the issue with the fuel prices, not me.
That is out of my control.
He'll email you back I believe, and you can go from there.

Good Luck!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no problem jsea. i won't mention your name of course and i understand you don't have an issue with the fuel. my boat when run at planing speeds can really sucks it down. i've slowed down and now run at hull speeds with the stabilizers on like a freaking grand banks due to fuel prices. i'd like to punch it up but at nearly $4 a gallon that's just not going to happen.

i don't believe i'll get anywhere asking a guy to lower his prices but i have to try. i know i'm not the only one upset by the prices....it seems to be pretty much universal. everyone complains and then drives to san pedro for fuel. i'd rather at least TRY and reason with someone before heading out to another harbor just for fuel.

thanks again for the contact info...i'll let you guys know when i get shot down and it is worded. might be nice if i weren't the only one to write to him though

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
2 things.

I have nothing to do with this situation other than having commented on it here.
There's no reason for me to be involved let alone have my name mentioned.

DO NOT under any circumstances post ANY private and/or personal emails here.
It's against ALLCOAST policy!
Not sure if that's what you had in mind or not, just be proactive.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts