Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
A lot of QUALITY Halibut were weighed-in this past weekend.
The question(s) I ask . .
Were these fish there the whole time?
If yes, what made them snap this past weekend?
Was it the rise in water temperature?
Was it the fact there was HUGE COVERAGE by a HUGE amount of boats?
Both?
Something else?
What was it?!
If no, then what made these fish stage so quickly?
Was it their natural instinct?
What was it?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
It was a weird weekend to fish.

The bite was slow and their were not many fish around. That said there were a few very big fish if you knew where to find them.

The fish are not on the move but sitting in the mud. I'd say a good half of the fish we caught were totally mudded out. I hooked one that felt huge, couldn't budge it then like "pop" it came out of the mud like a cork on a bottle. They are definitely buried deep.

I got a good look at the winning fish and it was just like that covered in mud. Vic the guy who caught it and I pre-fished last weekend for one short. He's a hell of an angler, dialed it in for the tourney and dropped a bait right on it's head.

Vic I know your not an internet angler but if you see this...Congratulations!!! you deserve it!!!!!

I'm not going to say where he got it but I will say it was North, in one of my favorite areas, deep.

I'd say luck had very little to do with it.

Vic knows his $#!t and has some line class records on butts to prove it. He's a class act, and it wouldn't surprise me to find he took that fish on ten pound. He likes to definitely fish the light gear.

He told me he got the fish on squid on the "lucky rod" which is this old jigmaster he has that he got his line records on. Piece of junk rod and reel that's been blessed by the fish gods :7 I think I'm finally beginning to understand why he likes it so much. ;-)

Bottom line is there's big fish around but they are not moving. I think the sheer number of boats out there helped people find them.

Good time to try for big fish if you don't mind a slow bite.

I'll definitely be out this week. Slow fishing but a great chance to get a true trophy.

Tight lines, Jim

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Females have been there, but dug in as I expected with cold water. Avg. water temp (surface) on 3/16 = 54.5, Avg water temp 3/31 = 57.5 to 58 degrees. Males will arrive in numbers soon and the spawn will begin. John, coverage obviously was a big factor - you have to just about hit them on the head to make them give up all that energy used in covering themselves to feed. Just surprising, amazing size in this tournament. I took second in Sm Bay Hal Derby in '92 with a 29# fish, and won the MDR Anglers tourney team title in '93 anchored by a 27#, the 3rd place overall fish. In '94, my last tourney entered, I took 7th in MDR Anglers with a 11#! Those fish would be a joke this weekend.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
>It was a weird weekend to fish.
>
> The bite was slow and their were not many fish around. That
>said there were a few very big fish if you knew where to find
>them.
>
> The fish are not on the move but sitting in the mud. I'd say
>a good half of the fish we caught were totally mudded out. I
>hooked one that felt huge, couldn't budge it then like "pop"
>it came out of the mud like a cork on a bottle. They are
>definitely buried deep.
>
>I got a good look at the winning fish and it was just like
>that covered in mud. Vic the guy who caught it and I
>pre-fished last weekend for one short. He's a hell of an
>angler, dialed it in for the tourney and dropped a bait right
>on it's head.
>
>Vic I know your not an internet angler but if you see
>this...Congratulations!!! you deserve it!!!!!
>
> I'm not going to say where he got it but I will say it was
>North, in one of my favorite areas, deep.
>
>I'd say luck had very little to do with it.
>
> Vic knows his $#!t and has some line class records on butts
>to prove it. He's a class act, and it wouldn't surprise me to
>find he took that fish on ten pound. He likes to definitely
>fish the light gear.
>
>He told me he got the fish on squid on the "lucky rod" which
>is this old jigmaster he has that he got his line records on.
>Piece of junk rod and reel that's been blessed by the fish
>gods :7 I think I'm finally beginning to understand why he
>likes it so much. ;-)
>
>Bottom line is there's big fish around but they are not
>moving. I think the sheer number of boats out there helped
>people find them.
>
>Good time to try for big fish if you don't mind a slow bite.
>
> I'll definitely be out this week. Slow fishing but a great
>chance to get a true trophy.
>
>Tight lines, Jim

Did you fish the derby Jim?
If you did, how did you do?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
Did you fish the derby Jim?
If you did, how did you do?

You don't see my name up there :7

I fished both days but for reconnaissance purposes only. Highlight of my weekend was two legal seabass.

Honestly: I thought the tourney was going to be a total bust. Spent most of my time close to shore so nothing extraordinary for me butt wise ;-)

Seems the last couple years all my fishing energy is going in other directions then Halibut. (bugs, kayaking, swimbaits etc..)

I'm sure you know what I mean. I will say this weekend reminded me of why I like fishing them. Nothing like seeing a forty pound monster butt to peek the interest.

Tight lines, Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
I fished the derby both day's on a friend's boat with his 18 year old son. I will post a report with pictures and details as soon as I get a chance to download all the pictures.

Bottome line is Sunday I nailed 1 fish 27.2 lbs which gave me 13th place, and my friend's son Ryan nailed not the barn door, but THE WHOLE BARN with a 39.2 lb fish that took 3rd place. For the record this fish was Ryan's FIRST halibut. Just unreal.

I have fished many many tournaments on the east coast but I place this experience as one of the highest highs I have had on the water.

To Big Fish & Sharp Gaffs,

George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts