All Coast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never taken my boat into mexican waters before and I know I'm supposed to purchase a boat permit and license, however, given the taxes we are robbed of every year because of illegal immigration and the mexican governments encouragement of it, I really have an issue with giving them any money. Now I realize it's not all that expensive, but I've fished many times on party boats at the coronado's and various offshore banks and was never boarded. So what I'm asking is what the likelyhood of being caught is. I launch out of MB and not SD by the way.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
With the chance of getting your boat and everything on it impounded in Mexico, to maybe never see it again, including yourself entering Jail as John Doe? Depends on what value you put on that, and what kind of Gambler you may be?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't spent all that much time down there, and I have been boarded by the Mexican Navy (very sketchy) and the US Coast Guard in Mexican waters...both asked for ALL of my paperwork...Call Vagabundos Del Mar (Google them for contact info)...a years permit and license are going to be way less than the gas you will spend getting to the spots, and WAY less than bailing yourself out of Mexican jail...the freedoms and rights we have in this country do NOT exist south of the border...

Andale

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Of course it's not illegal if you don't get caught.
The chances IMO at better than 50/50 that you will.
As Bill has stated above, . . .

Start carrying duct tape and cotton balls because
if they catch you you're going to need them both. :eek:

[blink]IT'S NOT WORTH IT![/blink]

BTW, welcome to Allcoast!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Let me tell you what I think you want to hear...Over the years I've fished mexican waters on my boat and friends boats say 40 or so times. How many times were we boarded. Zero.
Did we have permits? Of course..Why? because it only takes 1 time. I've heard some real horror stories about guys getting boat and gear impounded and spending months in mexican jail and costing them thousands of dollars.
My advise...If you want to fish Mexico..make sure all your papers are in order.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Quote: "So what I'm asking is what the likelyhood of being caught is. I launch out of MB and not SD by the way."

Even if you launched out of Santa Barbara, the moment your boat's bow crosses into Mexican waters, it does not matter where you launch from, you also need to check-in with US Customs (or suppose to), it's only a $5,000 maximum pocket change.

I can tell you of the many times we've gone out, come Feb., 2004, a friend from San Jose wanted to fish with us, we got him a week's permit, lo and behold, we got boarded by the Mexican Navy, just south of the Rockpile (first time ever after 10 years or more). I can't tell you the laughs we had on the boat, showing the Capt. the date on his mexican permit.

"Muy bueno, no carcel por hombre" and a thumbs up, signaled the Captain. Carcel is spanish for the Concrete Holiday Inn in downtown TJ and you don't want that kind of maid service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Is there anywhere near the Riverside/Temecula area I could pick the permits up, or do they only sell them near the border?

G

·
0 Posts
you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

Classic Dirty Harry :+

·
Registered
119 Posts
You also have to worry about DFG. If you bring sport caught fish into the US from Mexico without a permit you will get a ticket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts