1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Bill Roekers Website.... http://www.fishingvideos.com/news/

06/24/08

Fishing With ?The Nub?
FishingVideos.com got this report from fishing friend Gary Teraoka, an aerospace engineer with a fishing obsession. Gary is especially fond of catching big tuna, and has a prominent role in our upcoming video, ?300-Pound Tuna.? Right now, he?s very excited about a Spectra-mono connection he has innovated, and sent this, describing how it works:

?The Nub,? New Mono/Spectra Connection Tested

Engineer Gary Teraoka, a pro-staffer for Accurate and Izorline, has designed a new
monofilament-to-hollow spectra connection. He s his system is simple, inexpensive and includes an innovative slip protection feature. Gary inserts the mono into the hollow spectra up to 5 feet. Prior to inserting the mono, Gary installs a "nub" on the mono approximately 4 1/2 feet from the end. He inserts the mono into the hollow spectra so that the "nub" is inside of the hollow spectra. Then he uses 30-pound Izorline green spectra to create a nail knot clamping system on the outside of the hollow spectra, next to
the "nub".

The nail knot performs the same function as a tapered crimp. This nail knot is pulled with an inexpensive "special tool" to the point where the dull green Izorline spectra turns dark and shiny. This nail knot looks very tight and small. The diameter of the nail knot is smaller than a crimp.

Using a nail knot instead of a crimp has been done before. However, Gary says his nail knot looks really strong, small and sleek. The unique feature of Teraoka?s design is that the nail knot on the outside of the hollow spectra is combined with the "nub" that is under the hollow spectra. Gary says this design will prevent the mono from slipping through the hollow spectra when the mono is stretched to the point that its diameter becomes smaller. When this happens, the clamping strength of a crimp or nail knot is no longer as strong as it was when the mono was the original diameter. Gary uses glue from Swifty?s and Tim Campbell.

In Gary's design the mono can slip until the "nub" runs into the nail knot and then it is
blocked from moving any further. Gary said that his design is so forgiving that the nail knot can become loose but the "nub" will prevent the connection from failing. In current connection designs, once the mono starts to move in the hollow spectra, there is nothing to stop it. The "nub" would be beneficial for a crimp system but it cannot be installed on the correct side of the crimp. That is why he had to perfect the nail knot to work with the "nub". Gary originally designed this connection for the heavy mono that he uses to fish for 200-pound yellowfin. He has also developed a version to use on small mono.

Gary has successfully tested his nail knots (without the "nub") on a January 2008 American Angler trip. The improved "nub" version is currently being tested on the Accurate-sponsored June Heat trip on the Red Rooster III. Pro-staffer David Choate has been asked to help test/evaluate this design and said he is very excited to try it out. Gary and David both have blogs for Long Range fishing on Accurate Fishing's web site. Gary plans on documenting the details of his connection system on future blogs.

Gary is a manufacturer representative on a number of fishing trips this summer and fall/winter. If you would like to know more about his connection design, you can sign up for one of his trips and he will be glad to show you all the tricks. He said that each nail knot will cost about 4 cents worth of spectra. He also pointed out that Izorline trips provide free line to fill your reels and Accurate trips provide approximately 50 loaner reels for passenger use at no charge. This is ideal for first time long range passengers, as they can use/evaluate the best reels available without owning them.

Gary Teraoka is scheduled to be on the following trips:
Izorline sponsored 4-day trip on the Searcher July 4 - 8, 2008
Izorline sponsored 3-day trip on the Islander Sep 6 - 9, 2008
Accurate/Izorline sponsored trip on the Red Rooster Dec 12 to 22, 2008
Accurate sponsored trip on the American Angler Jan 5 to 16, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
First off, I am in no way "excited" or going to do some testing on these. I wasn't very crazy about Gary dropping my name on both his blog and Bill Roecker's site as far as my "testing".
I did play with it a little, found it very slow and tedious, and went back to Sato crimps in a heartbeat.

Ok, fast forward to today: Jerry Brown just called me, and informed me I've been putting a nub in front (reel side) of the crimp for years. Jerry's watched me make my topshots, and I put a drop of his glue above each crimp prior to crimping. That drop of glue wicks through, adhere's to the FC or mono, and forms a nub. After crimping I glue the whole area, but that nub is on the mono.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a properly made topshot made with two Sato crimps 1" apart and glued with Jerry Brown glue ever pull out?

In my strictly personal opinion I'll just stick with something I'm 100% confident in.

Aside: When last I saw Gary Sato he was looking into using brass for crimps in the future . . . any word on this?? Wahoodad?? Anybody??

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
sactotuna said:
Has anyone ever seen a properly made topshot made with two Sato crimps 1" apart and glued with Jerry Brown glue ever pull out?

In my strictly personal opinion I'll just stick with something I'm 100% confident in.

Aside: When last I saw Gary Sato he was looking into using brass for crimps in the future . . . any word on this?? Wahoodad?? Anybody??
I have them as well and they are great. The original Pandeles crimps were brass and they were great but the subsequent runs the temper wasn't just right and they cracked, hence the aluminum.

·
Registered
301 Posts
wahoodad said:
Yes, I have some of the first run. The brass crimps are what I plan on completely switching over to.
Brass is far better than aluminum in this application and does not "work harden" as bad. I'm still reluctant to having crimps pass through my guides though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.