Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first time in the tournament and the first time getting a mooring at Catalina. Whatâ??s the best way to go about all this? We donâ??t have to get a mooring for both days just to spend a few hours at the island do we? It just seems stupid to pay for two days when we will be fishing most of the time. I talked to one of the harbor guys at the Fred Hall show and he said they will give you a mooring for a couple of hours free anytime you want to get off the boat and stretch your legs. What do you veteran tournament guys do?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
John,

The moorings are a first come first serve basis (radio the harbor master as you enter the harbor, or approach a harbor patrol boat in front of the harbor), unless you own the mooring, then you need to reserve the mooring at least 24 hrs in advance..... During the off season, the harbor patrol will sometime allow individuals to use a mooring for a few hours at no charge. It all depends on the officer and his discretion.

I would expect this weekend to be fairly busy....the tournament, along with the last weekend before the holiday weekend...so many who wish to avoid the rift raft of Memorial day will come this weekend instead.

You can do one of three things...
rent the mooring for two days and pay the $22-$24 per day fee for a boat 25 feet or less, and fish and not have to worry or stress over getting a mooring, or you can rent one Saturday, and chance it Sunday (most likely one will open up). Or you can chance it and hope one is available for a a few hours and you get a officer that is easy going.

If you gamble and loose, i am sure you could find a fellow angler who would let you side tie (you still need to get the harbor patrols permission and pay the same fee's).

Or you could always find a nice cove and anchor up for the night, and fish through the night....bettering your chances for a prize fish :)

Good luck to you this weekend...hope you get a nice toad wsb or butt.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you cant get a mooring at the Isthmus or Avalon,, Whites cove is a great place to drop an anchor,,Calm,,Safe. If you tuck in behind the lea side of the point keep a line out,WSB do come around the point,,,

Whites is about a 20min cruise from Avalon or 25min to the Isthmus good luck!

Raz-N-Kane
SeaRay 27
Channel 69& Scan

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess I should have been more clear of what I mean. The only time I would use a mooring is for tournament check in and BBQ "Saturday" and weigh in and awards "Sunday". Maybe WON has some kind of arrangement set up. I'm sure the powers that be are set up for this. I just wanted to know what everybody else is doing so I could think over my options.

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I am fishing in it with my son, he is 7, so we will get a mooring, you are welcome to tie up to me, even though I do not know you, I was there last weekend and unless there are hundreds of guys fishing in the event, I really do not think you will have any trouble just hanging out, it is our first fishing tournement also ! My son likes the moorings to the left of the pier if you are facing the island, less boats, so look us up if you need to ! See you there !
Craig
2520 XL Parker
"HULIHAN"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts