All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, the sponsors love our Capture the Flag Tournament. Got word today that Rogue Rods will be donating 7 of their top of the line sticks as give aways, Baker Reels is giving two custom-engraved 50W frames, Allfishwear is embroidering some very cool fish jackets and JF Albert is actually designing some custom jewelry for our tournament. These prizes will be given away at the awards banquet...I want to enter!

Watch for Ernie Cown's column in the North County Times which will feature Capture the Flag. I will be on KRLA with Ronnie Kovach Saturday mornings and we have a nice ad running in WON. Here is the ad.

Don't forget the kick-off meeting on May 25th will feature Mark Wisch talking about "Targeting Trophies". It is $40 at the door or free if you sign up for Capture the Flag. www.afishinados.com

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Here's the article John.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/05/11/sports/cowan/21_45_495_10_06.txt

Lots of money to be won in Capture the Flag tournament

By: ERNIE COWAN - For the North County Times

Ocean fishermen will have a chance to win up to $6,000 starting May 26 as the second annual Capture the Flag multispecies fishing tournament kicks off. It runs through July 4.

The angler who catches the biggest bonito, barracuda, calico bass, halibut, white sea bass and yellowtail will win $1,000 per fish. Tournament boundaries are the Pacific coastal waters between Point Conception north of Santa Barbara and Rio Thomas in Baja.

Tournament organizer Capt. John King said 37 anglers participated in last year's tournament, and an average of $505 per person was awarded. Stan Miller Yachts will also be awarding $2,500 to the "Grand Slam" angler whose set of six fish ---- one of each species ---- is the heaviest in combined weight.

"We have more sponsors and more prizes this year, so we are expecting participants will win even more this year," King said.

King said there will be 18 weigh stations between Ensenada and Santa Barbara, but weights will also be accepted if submitted by an official weighmaster of a fishing club, a certified landing scale, or even a certified fish market.

"We are trying to make this as easy as possible," King said. "Our goal is to introduce tournament fishing to a lot of people who have never done this before."

As fish are caught and weighed, participants will fax their official weigh slips into tournament headquarters and the leaderboard will be posted online.

In addition to the adult divisions, there will be a junior division for kids 16 and under. Shopping sprees worth $250 from Big Fish Bait & Tackle in Seal Beach will be given away for each junior big fish and also for the heaviest six-fish "Mini Slam."

Prizes will be awarded at a fisherman's banquet on July 5 at Cabrillo Marina Plaza in San Pedro.

According to King, the entry fee for the tournament is $295 and anglers must be entered three days in advance of registering a catch.

For complete tournament rules, list of sponsors, prizes and entry form, visit www.afishinados.com/leaderboard.html or contact King at (323) 447-4669.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
RE: Here's the article John.

Welllll, . . . called onto the carpet again. :eek:

John, what you have started seems like a lot of fun.
At this point for me though, it's just not in the cards,
and I'd really rather not get into it here about why it's not for me.
I think the last time I participated in a tournament/derby was close to 5 years ago.

I call it personal evolution.

On another note, it's been close to 7 years since I've fished
on one of those big floating platforms they call Party Boats. LMAO!
And I don't miss that fishing interaction for one single solitary moment.

Maybe, somewhere down the road it will work for me. WHO KNOWS?

Thanks for asking John.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

JK - don't encourage JSea to enter as he would just be a lock for the $1,000 halibut flag prize :). Better he's not in and we just have Behdad to contend with there - he'll be tough enough. That's your compliment for the Day JSea.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

That was nice of you Rob. :)

Will this be a DAILY THING NOW (compliment of the day)? :7

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts