Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Rooster,I remember Ernie, charter master, hooked for over an hour or so, on a monster tuna, Fearing the tuna spooling the angler,Capt,G, moved the boat forward, where the fighter was finally landed. At the dock, the fighter weighed in at only 180 pounds. Over many years on many boats,I have witnessed 6 tunas over 300, landed. All except one, were hooked and landed a short distant from the boat. Most seemingly dead. Many yellowfins, weighing less than 200, can be formidable fighters and tax any one's ability to land them. Most seasoned anglers already know this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Early morning aboard the Excel,two of us on the port side soaking a big bait, waiting for the yellowfin to show. We noticed a friend up at the bow, his rod bent and trying to avoid the anchor line. What you got on there, I yelled.? His answer back, another Chopa,; I think. Minutes later; I asked: the chopa taking out any line? Yes, he answered.! Deck hand needed on the bow, I yelled!, Several minutes later, a skiff appeared on our side of the boat and our chopa hooked friend was sitting there with his rod bent, in the skiff and only less than 100 yards out from us. Later the skiff returned to the Excel, alongside the skiff, tied a big yellowfin which proved to be in the mid 300 pound range. this ,a true story...

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
He was fun to fish with.

He could get from the wheel house to the bait tank in about five steps and three seconds.

Sitting through his seminars were painful though...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
on your personal best.... Use a harness and fight the fish, alone. Or use the boat and the swell to help fight your fish...deckhands fight the fish for you? My personal best, while not that large, except for handing me my rod as I entered the skiff, no crew ever touched my rod. It just seems to me, new methods, while more productive, a lot of the sport has been taken out of the game. Rail rods, miniature winches as reels, and super spectra lines. Everyone today, an expert.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
I think it's okay to let the the deckhand take the rod around the bow or to get it unwrapped.

I don't want any non-crewmember walking the rail around the bow, or hooking their boots in a scupper and hanging over the side. Anyone gets hurt, it can ruin a trip quick, not just for them, but for everyone. Anytime an angle is in danger of hurting themselves or others, the boat has an obligation to stop them, if that involves taking the rod, so be it.

I've never used a harness. or been in the skiff. I think I did use the rail on my PB, but did not hand the rod off but for a couple tangles.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
on your personal best.... Use a harness and fight the fish, alone. Or use the boat and the swell to help fight your fish...deckhands fight the fish for you? My personal best, while not that large, except for handing me my rod as I entered the skiff, no crew ever touched my rod. It just seems to me, new methods, while more productive, a lot of the sport has been taken out of the game. Rail rods, miniature winches as reels, and super spectra lines. Everyone today, an expert.
I personally like today's new technology with smaller and better built reels, spectra, and the stronger rods. The tackle is more expensive, but it lasts longer and is easier for for an older guy like me to land the trophy fish of a lifetime.

The same could be said about 20 plus years ago when guys were clipping rod/reels onto another rod/reel and throwing them overboard tied to a bouy when fighting cows and climbing in a skiff to land their fish. Old timers then probably thought it was unfair because they thought the bamboo rods and linen line was more of a fair fight.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally like today's new technology with smaller and better built reels, spectra, and the stronger rods. The tackle is more expensive, but it lasts longer and is easier for for an older guy like me to land the trophy fish of a lifetime.

The same could be said about 20 plus years ago when guys were clipping rod/reels onto another rod/reel and throwing them overboard tied to a bouy when fighting cows and climbing in a skiff to land their fish. Old timers then probably thought it was unfair because they thought the bamboo rods and linen line was more of a fair fight.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
old timer here,,,not a Zane Grey old but mid 50's on....sila flex rods top of line Penn reels...all good except for crappy line.Fun days,after dinner,strip down reels add new line,,have a couple fresh outfits for the morning bite..make bait at Benedicto.A cow landed,big news,pros like Dan Bodie,Doc and others.Dan gets a cow on a bait catcher,,yes times have changed.next,auto electric reels,,let me know when the tuna is here? Yep technology is now the pro..Ray

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Fish 300 yards of 50# on a reel the size of a 146 or of 80# on a 500?

Fish gear for years with virtually no maintenance beyond watching down?

Catch 10-20 school-size YFT without a re-tie?

Fish the same gear for years with virtually no maintenance?

Fish the same line for years, only changing out a short top-shot?

I love the new gear.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Fish 300 yards of 50# on a reel the size of a 146 or of 80# on a 500?

Fish gear for years with virtually no maintenance beyond watching down?

Catch 10-20 school-size YFT without a re-tie?

Fish the same gear for years with virtually no maintenance?

Fish the same line for years, only changing out a short top-shot?

I love the new gear.
I agree 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts