Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to San Diego in a month or so from the Florida panhandle. I have fished south florida and the gulf all my life so I know what the fishing/boating is like here, but am not very familiar with pacific fishing. I currently own a 19' center console, my question is, will this be adequate to fish in southern CA? Been looking at the weather patterns for fishing and looks like it will be rougher there than I am used to here. It may be benificial for me to sell my boat before I leave and buy something more suited to fishing the pacific when I get there. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Bill Allen

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Bill, Joe is right, if your into local waters, harbors, and close to the beach fishing, then your rig is perfect....even a run to Catalina would be ok in the right conditions, although you always want to watch the weather. As Joe said, for offshore, meaning Tuna runs or San Clemente Island ect, I wouldn't even consider it....some brave soles do it....not me! Your looking at a 60 mile run to SCI, and usually much deeper for the Albies....YFT usally are much closer to the beach when they are in town....more in the 30 mile range, however each year is different. Depends on your tolerance for pain and your committment to safety I guess. Bill

·
Registered
852 Posts
yeah, what you said. if it is a carolina skiff type "skiff" i would say sell it. if it is an edgewater type skiff i say bring it. big difference. 19ft will get you out to some decent fishing action on good days. i have read several articles about how you want at least 18 ft of boat to even consider as an offshore boat. walkaround cuddy's though are more popular on the west coast as it gives you a chance to stay out of the elements. but, go with what you got. i would rather have a boat than no boat at all.

monty
21' striper
jake's dream

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It isn't a skiff type boat, but I do like to stay safe when I got out fishing or diving. Don't normally go out in seas over 3-4' or so. Boat measures just short of 20' and can take a pretty good beating no problem. I may have given some of you the wrong idea of what kind of boat it is so I uploaded a picture of it to the message board here. Very new to the site so I don't know how to add a pic to the message text but here is a link to the page. Please take a look at it and give me an updated idea of what you guys think. Kind of making a decision in the dark here, would really like to keep the boat but it is a local manufacturer so I know I would get the best price here in Pensacola. Again, thanks for the help.

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9382/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

-Bill Allen

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Bring it.

You won't be running sixty miles off the beach very often, but being based out of San Diego with that boat you'll get tuna, marlin, shark, dorado, and all the inshore species you can shake a stick at.

And on the right days you WILL be running the sixty miles when needed.

Bill

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bill, your boat looks just fine but you still mite consider selling it and moving up to simething around 23-24ft with a cabin and some bunks for sleeping. Here in Southern Cal. and Northern Baja we have several offshore islands we can visit and this opens up the possability of spinding the night on your boat. This could add a new twist to your boating fun. To spend the day fishing, either offshore or around the island, and then drop anchor and have that spot become your home for the night. Have fresh catch of the day maranated and grilled on the bar-b-que, watch the sunset, joking with your fishing buddys, and then going to bed to get up and do it all again is just too much fun. But be advised, this can be very, very addicting. HardFish'n.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Or, since boats are cheaper in Florida, you could buy a bigger boat like a Shamrock and tow it out here, since you're driving out already......the boat you have now would work very nice here, though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Bring it! You know the boat and how it handles and you are a young guy so you will know when to step up and to what after you have learned the ropes here. That boat will fish the San Diego local waters and the Coronado Islands and offshore when conditions permit, and you will be able to trailer into Baja.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
231 Posts
I also say bring it. I fish an Edgewater 22CC that is not much bigger. You can fish the Sport Boats when the tuna come around. It will be perfect for local stuff.
Jeff
SCALLYWAG
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bill,

Bring it if you want the same style boat and not interested in moving up. You will get to 80% of the fishing from San Diego with a good skiff.

But if you are moving up ... sell it and buy your next boat while you are still in Florida. Boats in Florida are easily 20-40% cheaper than out here ... supply/demand thing. I bought a boat in Miami and a new trailer and had it towed out for me and I still same 20g's over what this Grady would have cost me here.

Cheers,

"De LOCA LOBA"
David Brandt
25' Grady White
Moorpark
Fish till ya drop ...
Drink till ya drop ...
Bulls#&t till ya drop ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts