Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Last year I upgraded from a 12 foot aluminum to a 1988 Sea Ox 23O C walkaround. The boat came with a 2.7L OMC SeaDrive (225 HP) that runs fine but is a gas pig. I'm thinking about repowering with a 225 Yamaha four stroke mounted on an Armstrong bracket, mainly to decrease fuel consumption and increase range. My best MPG is about 1.7 at 24 knots under ideal conditions, but average about 1.2 during a day of fishing. I'm looking for estimates of MPG from people with a similar hull design and weight as the Ox (Grady White, Parker, etc.) in the 23 foot range with a 225 4 stroke. With a full tank of gas, gear, etc., the boat runs around 5,000 lbs. Considering the cost of the new outboard and all of the extras for rigging, I want to know if I can get a substantial increase in range before ordering. So, what MGP do you get at trolling speed and cruising speed, and what do you average on a day on the water? Thanks! Jan

This post edited by Lobito 06/23/2008

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jan,

A significant part of the decision to repower lies with the amount of hours you typically use your boat on an annual basis. Given the cost of fuel and inital cost to repower, someone who uses their boat 100 hours a year would not benefit from a repower, irregarless of the minimal fuel consumption decrease. I have heard stories of 15-35% inprovements in fuel consumption but that will vary on how the boat is run. WOT is WOT, irregardless of what motor is being used.

I have a 265CC Edgewater (5000 lb dry no motors) and run twin 225hp Yamaha 4 strokes. At cruise, I get about 1.7 nmpg. Trolling I burn 5 gallon per hour. For longer tuna runs (110 nm each way plus a full day trolling), I log about 23 hours of running time and burn about 180 gallons of fuel. Fishing for threshers, I can idle around all day on one motor and burn less than 12 gallons. So the repower question is heavily driven off how you use the boat.

I see a lot of skipjack guys not getting into diesel motors due to the inital up from cost, particularly due to their annual usage (less than 200 hours per year on average) and diesel/gas fuel difference. Some prefer diesel for safety and when that is the one factor considered, then cost isn't an issue.

Hopefully this answered some of the questions you had.

Shad

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.