All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go further out to explore/spearfish some high spots outside Nick and Cortez Bank. There is a 40 fathom spot on the maps at aprox. 33.03/119.37 southwest of San Nick. Does it have a name, good gps numbers and has anyone fished/free dove it this time of year? Any other high spots outside of Nick that have big game? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=33.348536668&lon=-119.819597022&scale=1444000&zoom=50&type=0&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=7624491&CFTOKEN=84036312&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bob, check out 33.18'32/119.27'26, just north of the middle of nick, dove it on scuba, was as beautiful a dive as any in california, saw some huge yellows. Top of the reef was loaded with baitfish and life of all kinds.Truly a little known great dive spot.By the way, the spot you described in your post is called the no 40 fathom spot, as there is no 40 fathom spot anywhere near there, but there is a lot of high spots off the west end of nick that are very productive for bugs, but i've never dove them this time of year. I would think that they would be good for yellows and whites because all the reefs off the north side are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cowcod closure and offshore gaming. Check your chart and locate closures and regs. Make sure you know what you can hunt for since the depth restriction is 20 fathoms or less in Cowcod closure. You can hunt pelagics but no bottom grabbers. If you get out there make sure if you can even have bottom grabbers on your boat. The Cowcod closure is a very............large area. good hunting

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I should have explained in more detail..I am looking for high spots in deep water to hang over while free diving and spearfishing for large pelegics...something within 100 or 200' of the surface where bait fish congregate on top and draw tuna, yellows, etc..Found the spot I mentioned in my first post on an older map..it is called the 107 spot...I have heard rumors of some spots outside of Nick and the Cortez, but, can't locate the info...Have dove Tanner, Cortez areas...guess I will try Osborn Bank next..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts