Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am buying a new 18' hydra sport center console and I am looking for insurance companies. I have a couple of quotes from a few places and so far BoatUS has the best prices. I would appreciate any info you guys could give such as customer service and best bang for your buck. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have Boat US after I got 3 or 4 quotes. They were the cheapest. I have had them for 12 years. "BUT" I have never had a claim to really give you the answer you are looking for.

The only thing that ever came up was that we were going to rent a ski lake for a day and the lake wanted a writer for 500,000 and Boat US would only go 300,000 on my comp boat. We had to use a friends boat.

Willie
Trophy 23.5 WAC

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Call Dawn at Allstate (949) 645-8288 -- you get discounts with multi-line policies, so you end up saving money on your home/auto insurance as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jess,
I sell boat insurance at Mariner's Insurance in Newport Beach, give me a call 800)992-4443/949)642-5174 or go to our website marinersinsurance.com and I'll get you a quote. We write only boats, have been in business for nearly 50 yrs and write agreed value policies. Hope to hear from you. Thanks, Teri Kemp

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
AAA has been doing a media blitz on the fact that they are now going whole-hog into on-the-water insurance. Probably worth a call.

It really pays to shop around AND compare apples to apples. See if any of them will send you a copy of the policy and then compare them closely. Often, the major differences in prices is evident in the policy.

As Jason mentioned, you can often get substantial savings if you contact your provider of your home and auto insurance.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks a million for the responses!! I will try all the companies you referrd to and see who has the better policy. I will call AAA since I am a member and state farm who is our home and auto provider was nto up to par with what I wanted.

Teri, I will give your company a shot also, thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
>Hey guys,
>
> I am buying a new 18' hydra sport center console and I am
>looking for insurance companies. I have a couple of quotes
>from a few places and so far BoatUS has the best prices. I
>would appreciate any info you guys could give such as customer
>service and best bang for your buck. Thanks in advance guys.

I would tell you to stay as far away from Boat US as you can......I have heard 2 nightmare stories from good friends. Bottom line is they cover nothing....and refuse to pay for anything.....without a fight....and then they still won't pay!

In one instance my buddy threatened to sue if they wouldn't cover his claim....their response was we will counter sue if you sue us. In the boat insurance world.....you get what you pay for....bottom line.

I have my insurance thru "Bannister and Associates" in Newport...and yes its expensive.....but I have a HUGE investment.....and I want it covered IF I need it. Doug Bannister is a fellow boat owner himself and will get you coverage that will pay if and when you need it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
BUYER BEWARE- DO NOT USE BOAT US!!!

Like many out there, I went the low price must be ok route with Boat US Insurance and got burned badly 2 different times. They cover almost nothing and they depreciate everything. The surveyors they use on claims do not allow any reasonable claim...they suck!!

I paid a little more for an agreed value policy with Sawyer-Cook 909-793-2814 and I have been extremely happy with their service and coverage. I just had a major outdrive overhaul due to a piece of the Davie's launch ramp at low tide, and the coverage was awesome!

If your boat has any reasonable value, and if you use it often, don't even think about discount insurance!!

Late- Kawakawa

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I received a great quote from AAA for my 38'er but a survey will be required..no big deal, since I will go into the boatyard soon anyway. Just make sure you are covered for fuel spills and containment..Cities and Coast Guard can hit you with a whopper bill on that end of it...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have used Leisurecraft Insurance Agency, a broker in Santa Ana since 1987. They have always gotten me the most complete and affordable policy with a triple A rated company. Boat US wouldn't give fair value on my boat, State Farm, with which I have every kind of policy imaginable, wanted hundreds more than the companies Leisurecraft has put me with and also wanted to low ball my boat. I now have Travellers, but my former company Royal Yacht, now not writing boat insurance, paid immediately without hassle for my old outdrive that was ruined by line through the seals with a Volvo Penta factory remanufactured outdrive, and paid my yard costs on top of it. Give them a call and see what they have to offer you: 1-714-547-9324.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ted Cox of Cox Insurance in Newport Beach is a reputable broker who can underwrite with various carriers including Travelers and others above. He's well regarded.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I believe Travelers is who my policy is written by also. I'm covered all the way to Mag Bay and out 200 miles. I figure i can stay inside that zone :)

Good Luck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts