All Coast banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
Since the kid wants to start going fishing and hooping with me on every trip i need to make some moves, I am in the market for a new boat, i need to sell mine and then i need to decide on what to do. So heres my question, if you had to choose between a New 23ft pilot/sport cabin Parker or a Slightly used 25 ft parker, what would be your choice?
Question #2 Is there any great advantege or disadvantage between a outboard or a inboard? and if i went inboard should it be a Deisel?
Chris (bitesomthing)
21 foot proline

·
Registered
576 Posts
outboards have a short life span compared to diesels and the range is way less.How much you use it and how far you go makes an easy choice.I need range an outboard will not make a long run so I went with diesel slower but I like 3 to 4 miles per gal

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by "slightly used"??? 250 hours? 500 hours? 50?

outboards can last a long time. we have almost 1500 hours on ours right now. we get about 2 miles per gallon which gives us a range of well over 200 miles. that's plenty for a days fishing. and would be plenty for a weekend trip to the island well.

so you'll have to figure out what you're gonna use the boat for.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
hello all,
Since the kid wants to start going fishing and hooping with me on every trip i need to make some moves, I am in the market for a new boat, i need to sell mine and then i need to decide on what to do. So heres my question, if you had to choose between a New 23ft pilot/sport cabin Parker or a Slightly used 25 ft parker, what would be your choice?
Question #2 Is there any great advantege or disadvantage between a outboard or a inboard? and if i went inboard should it be a Deisel?
Chris (bitesomthing)
21 foot proline

How used is used.....and if you're getting a used boat, how mechanically inclined are you? The new boat warranty can be a blessing, as well as a "GOOD" extended warranty.....you know the old saying, B.O.A.T.....break about another thousand....my warranty has paid off well, and on my first boat the extended warranty paid for itself on the first repair.

Inboard/outboard...your going to loose deck space with a IO...but you will have more room on the stern to work the fish the you would with a OB.
I was always under the impression a OB will last longer then a IO (with proper maintence).

Diesel gets better gas mileage, but is slower. I don't know anything about the maintenance of a diesel...but my guess is it less then a gasIO, and would last longer.

23ft v 25ft....2 feet is a lot more boat, but will also be heavier, and probably get less gas mileage. But would ride better then the smaller baot, and may make overnight and weekend trips with the kids more comfortable. It may also have a larger fuel capacity..

Thats my 2cents :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Well, I'm of the opinion that a slightly used 25' will run about the same - if not a little less than a new 23'. I could be wrong on that tho.

Also consider this:

A 23' Parker has an 8' 6" beam.
A 25' Parker has a 9' 6" beam.

This is a LOT more boat. You have approx 19.8" sq ft MORE DECK space. The weight isn't tremendously differernt - 23' = 4100 and the 25 = 4500, but that's without engine. A diesel or twins on the 25' will add a LOT more weight than a single O/B.

If you are a peed houndm then go 23'. Why" Because the hull design of 23' x 8'6" is FASTER than 25' x 9' 6". It takes less energy to get the skinnier ratio boat to go "X" speed.

If money were not a major consideration, I'd go Diesel. Period. But going Diesel will cost you plenty. The pay-off of diesel vrs Gas is only when you run the boat as if it were a commercial boat. I'm talking 150+ hours a month. Then, and only then, will you have any chace of offsetting the cost differential over a period of years.

The other aspect that makes my mind at ease about diesel, is the safety factor. Diesel leaks and fumes aren't a problem like gas leaks and fumes. You can literally light a match and toss it in your diesel tank and nothing will happen. That - to me - is worth the extra mooola.

JB

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i am looking at comparable pricing on the two different boats.
Thanks, i am a once a week/ maybe twice a week on the water person. like to do the normal stuff, CAt, Tuna,Lobster but ido tend to push the distance my boat's can travel.
Thanks
Chris (bitesomthing)
21 foot proline

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Chris,

These are just my opinions.

Diesel power is more reliable, longer longevity, but with the cost of diesel fuel now the advantages of diesel power plants for trailer boats are over!

I have very little knowledge of four stroke outboards but they seem very reliable.

On my 22 ft Mako I have a 2000 225 Yamaha SS II, this is a fuel injected motor, with three guys, 45 gallon of bait tank water and 110 gallon of fuel I'm averaging right at two miles to a gallon.

If I had the money I would never buy a new boat, I recommend buying a low hour used boat, especially from out of state ;). I purchased my Mako in Texas.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Good Point. I forgot about the price of diesel being HIGHER than gas. What is THAT about??? Diesel is a by-product of gasoline production. Talk about being had by the go-nads. And HOW could I have forgotten - I have two diesel vehicles!

You MIGHT get even up on fuel consumption/cost these days. Low maintenance, longevity, etc., are the only things left to use to calculate offsetting cost differentials from gas to Diesel. Meaning, it'll take a LOT longer to make a diesel pay for itself. The real problem is, most guys don't keep boats long enough to to this - and that was when diesel was cheaper than gas!

If you want Diesel, just buy it and be happy. That's why I bought both my trucks as diesels. I have 90,000 miles on my F350 at 5 years and it still is barely broken in. I'll be driving this truck for another 10 years. I couldn't say that about a gasser.

JB

·
Registered
109 Posts
Chris,
I would get the 25' because it would be a lot more roomy than the 2320. Both Parkers have a lot of fishing room but the cabin space on the 23 is very very small. There's enough room for 1 adult and 1 child and that's about it. There is more than enough room to fish 3 people very comfortably however. My buddy had the 2320 with dual 150s and gets about 1.5 to 2 mpg. Make sure you get the 90 gal bait tank =)

David

·
Registered
343 Posts
You'll fill out the 23 far before the 25. Go bigger-you will not regret it.

Diesel is far less per gallon on the water than it is at the pump of the local street side station-I paid $2.19 last time I filled and prices have probably gone down since. Secondly, the diesel will hold its value when it comes time to sell the boat and move to the 29 or 30 or 32 or??? Lastly, you can throw a match into a tank of diesel and it will not ignite-safety first!

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase whatever you choose.

Cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
When we bought our Parker2520 DV Sport Cabin we looked into all of the questions you are asking yourself and others. Range, Safety, Cost of operation Gas/Diesel, Comfort, Deck Space, Towing, Insurance and a million other things. After all that we bought the larger Parker with twin mounted 225hp. Yamaha four strokes, bracket mounted. Safety of two engines really makes sense. We can fish four comfortably with no problem. The cost to operate was only a small item. There is a basic cost to operate any boat. The increase in cost for a larger boat vs. the benefit is low. You still have to by electronics, ground tackle, bait systems, etc. for a smaller boat. To me it made sense to buy a boat that gave me the most bang for the buck. About as large a trailerable boat as was easy to tow up to Morro Bay or down to San Diego. If you really want a good boat make sure you also get one that will get you out of the weather, Sun/Wind/Spray/Cold. Your body will thank you. Down stream you won't need to have as many pre-cancer spots cut off by your doctor. This is no joke.

CaptainCrunch

·
Registered
418 Posts
>hello all,
> Since the kid wants to start going fishing and hooping with
>me on every trip i need to make some moves, I am in the market
>for a new boat, i need to sell mine and then i need to decide
>on what to do. So heres my question, if you had to choose
>between a New 23ft pilot/sport cabin Parker or a Slightly used
>25 ft parker, what would be your choice?
>Question #2 Is there any great advantege or disadvantage
>between a outboard or a inboard? and if i went inboard should
>it be a Deisel?
>Chris (bitesomthing)
> 21 foot proline

Lets go!! Take a ride in mine then decide how big you want to go Or if you want, I make you a good deal on the SeaRay She`s turn key might be a good set up for you and your son.

UP FOR SALE
"Raz-N-Kane"
Channel 69&72

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have done a lot of fishing and hooping on a 25' Parker. It has plenty of deck space for both. My friend has one with a Volvo Diesel. The diesel is good for power and economy, but it eats outdrives. The Volvo outdrive has a small gearbox and just doesn't seem to hold up to the torque of the engine. This has been my friend's experience anyway. He is meticulous about the service schedule also. He is ready to sell his boat and get one with an outboard.

Jan
Seamaster 2588 WA
"Jacqueline Jane"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts