Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
When she wakes up, take her outside, when she eats, take her outside, if she is sniffing around on the floor, take her outside.

EVERYTIME WITHOUT FAIL!

It will be over very quickly.

ALways take her out the same exit. Soon she will be asking for it.

Good luck.:tu::tu:

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan_Cole wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jackpotJennings wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any idea on how long it will take the dog to learn the basics of housetraining?

This question is often better asked BEFORE buying a dog ........

She said she was a quick learner at the initial interview :p

Great advice AZfishkiller..day #2 and we are doing just as you indicated. She already catching on. Also thanks HD! Great link with great info. Much appreciated. :tu:

I also wanted to call her "squawky" after Americas Deadliest Catch/Time bandit episode when the comerant landed on the boat and Jonathon Hillstrand adopted her.However, I was quickly out voted by Wifey. Funny how 1-1 vote ends up a landslide victory in marriage @(

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi,
My name is Carol, Marks other half. As a breeder of Pugs for 15 years and guide dog trainer, I can help in the potty training division.
You must and I mean MUST have a crate for the dog. It will take about 2 days of CONSTANT, DILIGENT work, which will last the lifetime of the dog, so very important.
The dog must be crated at all times during the 2 days except when taking her OUT to get her thing done.
1. Every 2 hours take the dog out of the crate and put her on a leash, DO NOT LET THE DOG TOUCH THE FLOOR, CARRY her out to the ONE place you want her to go.
2. Stand in ONE PLACE and encourage, her to go using a basic word, go POTTY or get BUSY... repeat with encouragement.
3. If it takes an hour, stand there as long as it takes, this is the diligence part. PLEASE PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE, if there is ANY progress, such as squatting to start... it has to be quick and happy for the puppy to "get it".
4. Walk the dog back inside to play for 5 minutes, then RIGHT BACK TO THE CRATE. This is the only chance to be allowed on the family floor until all training is done. That way no accidents for her to do follow ups on. No deviations of this routine as the dog is not getting hurt or being neglected doing this.
5. After the 2 days, extend your time out of the crate, you will see that she will be eager to please and pee on command, just like my guide dog puppies do (they have no choice).

This is the best method I have found to train them. The crate is the best thing for them, it lets them have their own "den" as they use naturally and it confines them when you absolutely need them to be in one area when you leave or travel. They tend NOT to soil their crates if taken out every 2 hours or so. Put in a toy, but not food or water. Don't worry about any whining or vocalization, it is normal to get your attention, which will come when she achieves her goals each time she is out. LOTS OF PRAISE and PETTING for rewards.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but really this will be the best 2 days and the longest 2 days. I can definitely tell you it has always worked for me and many other dog trainers. Let me know if there are any setbacks, problems, questions.

Now if I can only get Mark to put the toilet seat down, wonder if crate training is the answer??;) :Carol

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Carol has it exactly right. Crate is the best thing for pup. First for potty training, soon it becomes their comfort space. They'll lay in it whenever they're feeling lazy. Sleep in it at night. Don't even have to close the door... Back to the potty thing. Dogs sniff around because scents trigger the potty response. You can substitute the sniff reaction with a verbal command. Same result. 'Take a break' is what we used. They'll tinkle on queue. 'Take a big break' before going for a walk so hopefully we won't have to use the scooper along the way.

This post edited by jiggermyster 06/16/2008

·
Banned
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mojomizer said:
Hi,
My name is Carol, Marks other half. As a breeder of Pugs for 15 years and guide dog trainer, I can help in the potty training division.
You must and I mean MUST have a crate for the dog. It will take about 2 days of CONSTANT, DILIGENT work, which will last the lifetime of the dog, so very important.
The dog must be crated at all times during the 2 days except when taking her OUT to get her thing done.
1. Every 2 hours take the dog out of the crate and put her on a leash, DO NOT LET THE DOG TOUCH THE FLOOR, CARRY her out to the ONE place you want her to go.
2. Stand in ONE PLACE and encourage, her to go using a basic word, go POTTY or get BUSY... repeat with encouragement.
3. If it takes an hour, stand there as long as it takes, this is the diligence part. PLEASE PRAISE, PRAISE, PRAISE, if there is ANY progress, such as squatting to start... it has to be quick and happy for the puppy to "get it".
4. Walk the dog back inside to play for 5 minutes, then RIGHT BACK TO THE CRATE. This is the only chance to be allowed on the family floor until all training is done. That way no accidents for her to do follow ups on. No deviations of this routine as the dog is not getting hurt or being neglected doing this.
5. After the 2 days, extend your time out of the crate, you will see that she will be eager to please and pee on command, just like my guide dog puppies do (they have no choice).

This is the best method I have found to train them. The crate is the best thing for them, it lets them have their own "den" as they use naturally and it confines them when you absolutely need them to be in one area when you leave or travel. They tend NOT to soil their crates if taken out every 2 hours or so. Put in a toy, but not food or water. Don't worry about any whining or vocalization, it is normal to get your attention, which will come when she achieves her goals each time she is out. LOTS OF PRAISE and PETTING for rewards.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but really this will be the best 2 days and the longest 2 days. I can definitely tell you it has always worked for me and many other dog trainers. Let me know if there are any setbacks, problems, questions.

Now if I can only get Mark to put the toilet seat down, wonder if crate training is the answer??;) :Carol
Thank you so much Carol for your reply. We are doing the Crate training, yet not entirely as you have outlined. I have printed out your response and have given it to the General (my wife Wendy :) ) to follow.

Since picking her up early saturday...now its monday night...that little pup has changed a 240lb meathead into a emotional little twit. She is so cute and loving I can't find words to describe how much I care for her. Mark's a lucky man and you tell him I said so.Thanks again for your response. Any tips on biting and nipping? I'm fine with it...but my wife was a bit ovewhelmed(not unusual..keep that between us Allcoasters') when she turned into Tizzy of needle fangs this morning after I went to work.

This dog is soooo smart and caring. I'm PUG crazy now. Can't wait to see her every morning. Your insight and experience is greatly appreciated. For the record...I still leave the toilet seat up too.

Big thanks you to you Carol!:tu:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you have the training nearly done... LUCY!! After owning pugs since 1980 and breeding them for 15 years, I know that it is hard NOT to be trained by them. Lucy will have you melted down and molded in no time.
My heart is more into training dogs and making them compatible for owners. Can't tell you how many times I have seen a "bad dog" be left out of a familys life because the training does not happen. Make an effort to take her to a basic training class this summer. Try to find one that does NOT use treats for a reward as this tends to lead to a dependence on having treats on you at all times. Praise is the drug of choice for service dogs and I can attest that they LOVE their reward if given with gusto and a lot of petting at the right time. The nipping can be dealt with by using the opposite, pull away and turn your back. Pet her when she prances around and does not nip right away. It will take you about 20 minutes to get that slowed if not stopped. Give her a toy she can bite, they do teeth and need the chew toy to help that along.
Enjoy!!
Carol, RNCC

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I am not an animal person. Never owned or wanted to own a dog or cat. My youngest has hounded me to get a puppy and I always said no. My 2 older kids were on my side as well. My wife was kind of neutral.

Our neighbors got a pug several years ago and decided to breed her. My youngest son, 10 at the time went across the street every day to bond and play with the 5 puppys. My wife kept telling me I needed to go see them as they were so cute. Not interested. Finally as they were now old enough to be sold, I made the flippant comment that he could get one as long as I got to name it. He got the pick of the litter, a little guy I named Klaus (after Scorpions lead singer Klaus Meine).

What has happened is that little dog has transformed my entire family and is my best friend. I take him on the boat fishing, we go on walks, he sits on my lap. I am now a dog person. My 2 older kids have had similar experiences.

You are gonna love that dog! Pugs are the greatest. They are cuddlers who will do anything to be with you. I am now contemplating getting another one and will probably do so by the end of the year .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.