Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed from lake fishing to ocean fishing now that I have a larger vessel. Although, I'm learning ocean sport fishing by trial and error, I notice that the experienced fishers talk about going to a certain number to fish i.e the 180, 300 etc etc. What do those numbers mean. I suspect they are refering to navigation, but not sure. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JR

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS, I thinks I posted this in the wrong topic, but I appreciate the help.

Thanks

JR

·
Registered
102 Posts
When a skipper refers to an area like the "377" and "311", he is referring to a known fishing area where there is a high spot or pinnacle. In the case of the 377, this number refers to the depth (in fathoms) of the high spot. A Fathom is equal to 6 feet.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
JR: Not certain about 180 or 300. Perhaps those are numbers as example. If you are referring to numbers such as 267, 277, 209, and many others for example they are fishing areas. They are off shore high spots, where the bottom has risen to 267 fathoms, 277 fathoms, and 209 fathoms using my examples above. Sort of like islands that just did'nt make it. You can see them on local charts, just look at the soundings in fathoms. I hope this helps. Others can probably assist and attach examples.

"Jack one"
Skipjack 20

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its starting to make sense. So the 377 is approximately 63 ft. deep.

The ocean depth that is written all over the charts are in feet and not fathom, correct????

Ocean boating overall sure is way more complicated than lake boating, but I'm enjoying learning the ropes.

JR

·
Registered
102 Posts
The "377" is NOT 63 feet deep. 377 is the number of fathoms, and as 1 fathom = 6 feet, that makes the 377 fathom spot 2,262 feet deep. This might seem too deep to have an impact, but the area surrounding a spot such as this could be much deeper. High spots like this can attract all sorts of bottom fishes as well as bait fish and inevitably game fish. These spots can have an effect all the way through the water column to the surface.

Most NOAA charts have depths marked as fathoms.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scratch my last post. I understand now. The 377 (fathoms) is 2262 ft. I'm sure my first years will be a learning process. I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks Again

JR

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
your first years will be a BIG learning process, but in all actuality, your whole life will be a learning process when it comes to ocean fishing. anyone that tries to tell you that you should know it all within x amount of years probably doesn't catch very much fish. there are sooooo many different kinds of species out there to target and each requires something different.

it's good that you're asking questions, that will help a LOT. and you'll get a LOT of good info on these boards. so keep asking!!!

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome JR to the world of "the BIG POND" & this board... two words should be first & foremost in your ocean fishing plans...knowledge & safety! It's great you're asking questions, but for the sake of your safety & any others who ride with you, seekout & signup for a Coast Guard Auxilary or Power Squadron boating course, fishing needs to always be in 2nd position to safety... the reason I emphasize the safety issue so much is because it can have a direct relationship to what type fishing you should pursue... what size boat & hull type do you have? (tri-hulls don't like the ocean) How much fuel do you carry & what range do you get? What electronics do you have? Do you have charts & compass headings to backup a GPS unit? Do you know how to properly set an anchor? Are you familiar with reading between the lines of a weather report (remember, the ocean can go from a placid pond to a raging sea in what seems like the blink of an eye... as you can see lots of key questions and we've only scratched the surface... I'm sure everyone on this board will be happy to assist you in your learning curve, but please gain vital knowledge before venturing far offshore... again, good luck in your fishing pursuits & welcome aboard! I'll send you a follow-up email as well.

Jeff (Moonfish)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jeff....

I taken the US Coast Guard Auxillary seamanship/boating safety course and will continue to sign up for what ever classes become available. Right now i'm going out with experienced boaters, and the few times I went without one, I stay close to the shore/harbor. I'm spending most of my time getting to know my 26' Seaswirl Striper. Not really doing any fishing right now, just learning navagation, weather, chart plotting etc.
I'm not ashame of being a rookie, everyone has been there at one time or another. I'm just greatful that I can afford the privelage to own a nice vessel and live near the beautiful pacific ocean. My buddy is 45 years old, living in Kansas and the only ocean he has ever looked at was on TV.
Boating safety is certainly number one on my list and fishing will be taking the back seat.
As far as electronics, I only have Furuno GPS-1650F GPS/Plotter/Sounder-Fishfinder and needless to mention a VHF radio. I'm currently shopping for a radar and having trouble choosing between the Furuno 1731 CRT display or a color display. I'm also looking for a handheld GPS as a back up, so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Back to some of your questions, it's a v-hull, 135 gal fuel tank, i/o 280 HP Volvo Penta 5.7 GSI w/ DP. I'm still uncertain about the range or fuel burn, even the broker did not know. I'm still waiting to hear back from Seaswirl. I'll find out with a little research.
Thanks for your reply, and again, any suggestions on a radar system is welcome. I've been scrabling my brain trying to choose CRT or color.

JR

·
Registered
76 Posts
WELCOME JR,

As posted earlier, the ###'s are spots by depth in fathoms. Check out www.tempbreak.com to locate.

Reminder: Besides Safety and Knowledge, don't forget to fallow the Law. Since your so close to Mexican waters, know CA and MX fishing regulations.

To fish Mexican waters, you must have a boat permit, Mexico fishing license, and understand there fish limits.

Dont be afraid to ask questions on the board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts