Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone Here Owned...

A Navigator & an Escolade? Turns out my wife hates the diesel Excursion I got her for her birthday and likes these two cars. Both have their good & bad...thought maybe I could get some 1st hand info from an owner. Looking at the Escolade ESV. I love the Excursion but it's too loud and smelly for her apparently. Her birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I don't know which one would be the better vehicle. Have never owned a Lincoln or a Caddy. @(

This post edited by HD 06/11/2008

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Are you sure you wanna go there?

I have a buddy who bought a 2007 Navigator and it gets 9MPG in town, and about 12 on the interstate. I've heard (but not confirmed) that the Escalade gets 10 and 14, respectively. Both of them use premium gas too.

Plus, these are BIG vehicles. Are you sure your wife wants to have to drive such monsters?

There are other SUVs out there that are reasonably luxurious, get better gas mileage, do well in crash tests, and are easier to maneuver.

If you want to stay in the luxury type SUV, the BMW X5 costs about the same as the Navigator and the Escalade, but gets 14 and 19. The Mercedes-Benz ML350 gets 15 and 20, and is about 8 grand cheaper. Both of these puppies get the same or higher ratings in crash tests as the Navigator and Escalade. And both are enough smaller to make them easier to handle. For example the Navigator is 208in. L X 79in. W, whereas the BMW is 191in.L X 76in W, and the Mercedes is 189in. L X 75in. W. Surprisingly, the interior room (in cubic feet) is similar among all three.

Two suggestions: Take a look at Edmunds site; using the comparison feature it's very useful. (Here is a link that may?? bring up a comparison of the four vehicles I discussed.) LINK
Second suggestion (which someone else made) take her car shopping and LET HER decide what to get. If she has no choices of her own, you pick our 3-4 models you think will work, and let her check 'em out and decide. Happy wife.....happy HD.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Ahem

That's a tad harsh, isn't it? You are promulgating a stereotype without actually knowing the individuals involved.

Most of us would like a nice 35MPG vehicle. However, sometimes other factors intrude, and they lead to requirements for larger autos. I know several folks that have to have F350 size trucks......they need the power. A 150 or 250 size won't cut it. They can't afford TWO vehicles, so they drive the large truck. While I personally don't know anyone with the Caddy Escalade, I know people with the Navigator and the Chevy Suburban. They USE the trucks, and need the power and the 4X4. Something smaller just doesn't work for them. Neither of us knows the requirements that HD's spouse has for a vehicle. Perhaps we should be careful what we say, when we don't know the situation?

(Sorry, but I just found your post a tad rude.)

·
Banned
81 Posts
re: Has Anyone Here Owned...

I've noticed more than half of all drivers of big SUV's like Escalades, Yukons, Navigators, etc are women over 35 who can't drive. Why do you need a car that big to fit one or two little kids in the back and to buy some groceries? That's overkill and the reason why gas prices are going up.

This post edited by SAMIAM 06/09/2008

·
Banned
2,950 Posts

Get her the X5. I see a LOT of people, the vehicles that they drive and how htey drive them and...well, Mary doesn't fit the Escalade. Plus, you get all that maintenance free from BMW.
I looked at the X5 when I bought my F150. Just couldn't swing the extra fishing trips, I mean dollars.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

I've got an 05 Expedition and my brother has an 05 Navigator. He gets 15-16 on the fwy, I get 17-18. He has gone through a head gasket at 70k miles, but otherwise likes it. I think the Navigator has more hp than the Expedition, and the Caddy has more hp than the Navigator. I think the Caddy has a longer warranty than the Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

HD, I have not owned an Escolade, but I did own a loaded Yukon. I loved that truck. I had it for 7 years and put about 150,000 miles on it and never had a problem. I was told that this is the same as the Cady save a few creature comforts. I even recall I got high teens in gas mileage in and around the city. I think my best highway mileage was in the low 20's. I now drive an Acura TL and am glad I switched.

·
Registered
356 Posts

HD said:
A Navigator & an Escolade? Turns out my wife hates the diesel Excursion I got her for her birthday and likes these two cars. Both have their good & bad...thought maybe I could get some 1st hand info from an owner. Looking at the Escolade ESV.

I love the Excursion but it's too loud and smelly for her apparently. Her birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I don't know which one would be the better vehicle. Have never owned a Lincoln or a Caddy. @(

Funny, my wife was just saying last week how she is sick of driving the diesel excursion! If I didnt need it to pull the travel trailer and boat I would sell it just because its a pain in the ass to park.

The Navigator is a nice vehicle, but with high gas prices I would look at your options.

A friend of mine has the BMW suv and loves it, more of a car than a truck bu I bet wifey would like it:tu:

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

KID CREOLE said:
Bruce, What year Excursion and is it 4x4. I'm getting ready to buy one for the wife any day, let me know!
It's the '05 turbo diesel 6.0L Eddie Bauer 2X4 w/ tow pkg. White ext. w/ beige leather int and all extras including DVD player, dual A/C, CD changer, yada yada yada and hauls up to 11,000lbs. Has 61k on it and in good condition. We need to seat 7 plus storage space, in complete elegance & luxury...thus the narrow choices. Those long trips to Vegas get longer w/o lumbar support, DVD player and dual A/C. Kinda want the status symbol of the Caddy too (I admit it). The Escalade just looks cool inside & out. Love the nav and hands-free calling functions. The gas mileage sucks and though the '08 version offers a hybrid, they don't offer it in the larger model. :( Mary hauls alot of stuff around, about 1100lbs of cargo on average for the food company. The Prius can't handle it. ;)

This post edited by HD 06/09/2008

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

HD said:
KID CREOLE said:
Bruce,

What year Excursion and is it 4x4. I'm getting ready to buy one for the wife any day, let me know!
It's the '05 turbo diesel 6.0L Eddie Bauer 2X4 w/ tow pkg. White ext. w/ beige leather int and all extras including DVD player, dual A/C, CD changer, yada yada yada and hauls up to 11,000lbs. Has 61k on it and in good condition.

We need to seat 7 plus storage space, in complete elegance & luxury...thus the narrow choices. Those long trips to Vegas get longer w/o lumbar support, DVD player and dual A/C. Kinda want the status symbol of the Caddy too (I admit it). The Escalade just looks cool inside & out. Love the nav and hands-free calling functions. The gas mileage sucks and though the '08 version offers a hybrid, they don't offer it in the larger model. :( Mary hauls alot of stuff around, about 1100lbs of cargo on average for the food company. The Prius can't handle it. ;)
Bummer Bruce,

I need one with a 7.3 PSD, 03 or older!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

KID CREOLE said:
HD said:
KID CREOLE said:
Bruce,

What year Excursion and is it 4x4. I'm getting ready to buy one for the wife any day, let me know!
It's the '05 turbo diesel 6.0L Eddie Bauer 2X4 w/ tow pkg. White ext. w/ beige leather int and all extras including DVD player, dual A/C, CD changer, yada yada yada and hauls up to 11,000lbs. Has 61k on it and in good condition.

We need to seat 7 plus storage space, in complete elegance & luxury...thus the narrow choices. Those long trips to Vegas get longer w/o lumbar support, DVD player and dual A/C. Kinda want the status symbol of the Caddy too (I admit it). The Escalade just looks cool inside & out. Love the nav and hands-free calling functions. The gas mileage sucks and though the '08 version offers a hybrid, they don't offer it in the larger model. :( Mary hauls alot of stuff around, about 1100lbs of cargo on average for the food company. The Prius can't handle it. ;)
Bummer Bruce,

I need one with a 7.3 PSD, 03 or older!
I have a 4x4 02 diesel but I'll never sell it. One of my favorites I have ever had. There is not a SUV around with as much space. Also, about the safest car around if you get in an accident.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

HD said:
We need to seat 7 plus storage space, in complete elegance & luxury...... Kinda want the status symbol of the Caddy too (I admit it).
Ha ha ha... it's good that you're in-touch with your inner needs. Just go buy some carbon credits afterward... :p

·
Registered
77 Posts

jackpotJennings said:
HD:I'd go with the Escalade. Its a sweet ride and they'll hold their resale value better than the Lincoln.

What he said. My ex had an '04 ESV for a few years when we were together. It was a sweet ride, and it's pretty versatile with the truck bed, you don't have to worry about getting the interior jacked up when you haul random stuff in it. I financed 100% on it when I got it for her, and when we traded it in, we got about 1k more than we owed on it(granted gas was a little cheaper then). It averaged a 11-12 mpg on the street, and about 16-18 on the highway as long as you kept it under 75.

If you want a connection at Allen Cadillac I bought a couple of cars there and my salesmen actually came and worked for me for a while. He can put you in touch with someone good over there.

·
Registered
948 Posts

For what it's worth.........Friend owned both, dumped the Nav, kept the Esc. HE couldn't care less, SHE wanted the Esc.. When SHE is happy, HE is happy. Hope this helps.

REK.

·
Banned
81 Posts

rubble said:
Probably two of the Dumbest things Ever said on this Site...... Or Any other........ Darwin Award is a Tie Today.......
OK, so you like to drive big azz cars that get 9 mpg. Ok, that's fine. But if you think the predominance of these cars in the largest gas consumer in the world(us) doesn't add significantly to our overall consumption and that demand has nothing to do with the increase in prices, YOU deserve the Darwin Award, dawg.

This post edited by SAMIAM 06/09/2008

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.