All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello just found this reel in great condition NEWELL C338-j5..GONNA THROW IT ON MY JIGSTICK (CALSTAR 90J)can anyone tell me what's the best fishing use for this reel, IM CURRENTLY sculpin & bass fishing but also getting into throwing irons, sp minnow, colts snipers, etc .SHOULD I USE FOR SURFACE FISHING ???. I'm pairing it with a CALSTAR 90J.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW..THANKS..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello just found this reel in great condition NEWELL C338-j5..GONNA THROW IT ON MY JIGSTICK (CALSTAR 90J)can anyone tell me what's the best fishing use for this reel, IM CURRENTLY sculpin & bass fishing but also getting into throwing irons, sp minnow, colts snipers, etc .SHOULD I USE FOR SURFACE FISHING ???. I'm pairing it with a CALSTAR 90J.. PLEASE LET ME KNOW..THANKS..

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
That's a good old reel and is a good mate with your Calstar 90J rod. Yes, by all means use it for chucking irons for yellows, cudas, and bass. Just be sure to back off the drag all of the way when storing the reel at home.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
That's a good old reel and is a good mate with your Calstar 90J rod. Yes, by all means use it for chucking irons for yellows, cudas, and bass. Just be sure to back off the drag all of the way when storing the reel at home.
I agree. Get the reel done up by an expert. Get all the metal screws, studs, gears, and interior plates greased up with a good water resistant grease. Install a carbon tex wet drag. After each trip back off the drag and clean with a light spray of fresh water. These reels don't have the best drag but they are a pleasure to fish with, light, casts great. It remains my weapon of choice for light surface iron from Tady C's on up fishing with 40lb mono.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts