Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trading in my Newell 533 5.5 for an Avet JX/2 or a HX for more strength and versatility. I know I'll be losing some some casting ability, but how much? Also, are there any tweaks needed to improve the Avet's casting ability? I would mainly be jig-fishing with 40#.

Thanks,
YYM

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keep the bearings oiled and mind your thumb when casting. You might also get ready for nicer drag. Newells are known as the king of jig fishing reels, but you should be very happy with the JX. The two speed version also gives you that button if you get a larger specimen. The 3:1 ratio might never be used, but it is there. I just got back from an 8 day on the Royal Star and used a JX 6/3 with 50# mono for a jig reel. I caught a 38# yellowtail on the iron to test the drags and I won! Avets only seem to have if you use them in your living room, on the water they rock! The drags needed to be set over 18 pounds to stop the big fish and the JX did it many times. Below is a sample of one of the typical tails I caught on a JX. I reeled in a fish hooked on a Newell 533 and a Ulua and that combo is great too. I did need to button the Newell's drag to max to get the fish in.

This post edited by markmayo 07/07/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have my HX 5/2 on an Ulua 93H and was throwing a 7X just as far as the crew on the Indy. Funny thing was they were using the same exact setup. So I know its a good combination. I also will put the reel on a GF750H and use it for yoyo or bait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
YoYoMan said:
I'm thinking of trading in my Newell 533 5.5 for an Avet JX/2 or a HX for more strength and versatility. I know I'll be losing some some casting ability, but how much? Also, are there any tweaks needed to improve the Avet's casting ability? I would mainly be jig-fishing with 40#.

Thanks,
YYM
Greetings Yoyoman,

Just got back from a 5 day trip, throwing iron or yoyo, and my JX/2 was the ticket. Outcasted all and handled yellowtail to 32 lbs without any problems. Having an 8ft rod made the difference. 40lbs worked great.

I too have an Newell 533, just not the same after a couple wahoo trips.

Avet JX/2 is an excellent reel. Good luck.

Bass regards,
Mel "Kahuna bass"

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
1122 said:
I have my HX 5/2 on an Ulua 93H and was throwing a 7X just as far as the crew on the Indy. Funny thing was they were using the same exact setup. So I know its a good combination. I also will put the reel on a GF750H and use it for yoyo or bait.
After reading your post I was curious so I asked Jeff on Sunday when I saw him what he fished because I have fished local so much with him and have known him for awhile. He still uses a 5 series Newell 533 4.6 for 40# line on his Ulua. BUT for 50# he uses as you said the AVET HX standard size not the narrow or the wide. He also told me it's spectra backed and that he fishes no more than 3/4 of the spool full. I asked him why and he says it backlashes less. He also tol me he uses the 9' 3" version with this reel and a Salas 5X, the bigger size not a Baby 5X. Lots of times at Cedros where they fish those bigger fish it's kinda windy so the bigger jig fishes the wind better according to Jeff. Thanks for the heads up "1122", you passed on some really good information for everyone here to take advantage of!

This post edited by willy 06/23/2008

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Ghostboy said:
YoYoMan - Dude, by far Newell is the best jig reel on the market. If someone would like to dispute my claim, bring it on! - Ghostboy!
Yeah, you tell 'em! You know they name streets after guys like you; they call them One Way.

Only thing worse than a Know it All, is somebody who thinks he does.

I was talking with a guy who works the Long Range fleet, happens to be a cook. He told me he never thought he would find a better reel than the Newell 533-5.5 for fishing wahoo, but that his new favorite was the Avet HX. Just one guy's opinion.

·
Registered
948 Posts
On my last fall trip, fellow angler had a HX, 50#. He let me try it out. I would say no way it will out cast a 533, not even close. One reel casts farther than the other and one can handle a nice fish better once hooked up. Take your pick.

REK.

·
Registered
638 Posts
REK said:
On my last fall trip, fellow angler had a HX, 50#. He let me try it out. I would say no way it will out cast a 533, not even close. One reel casts farther than the other and one can handle a nice fish better once hooked up. Take your pick.

REK.
REK - Thank you! - Ghostboy!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Steve K said:
Ghostboy said:
YoYoMan - Dude, by far Newell is the best jig reel on the market. If someone would like to dispute my claim, bring it on! - Ghostboy!
Yeah, you tell 'em! You know they name streets after guys like you; they call them One Way.

Only thing worse than a Know it All, is somebody who thinks he does.

I was talking with a guy who works the Long Range fleet, happens to be a cook. He told me he never thought he would find a better reel than the Newell 533-5.5 for fishing wahoo, but that his new favorite was the Avet HX. Just one guy's opinion.
Wow - are you suggesting I should take tips from a deckhand? Ghostboy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ghostboy said:
REK said:

REK.
REK - Thank you! - Ghostboy!
Hold on there GB. I said, take your pick. I did not say one was better than the other. Casting contest, Newell. Do you need a long cast for tails, no. I think more Wahoos are caught closer to the boat so no real big need for the long cast there either. Whatever floats your boat, take your pick. Both are proven reels. Both can cast well enough, both can bring in a fish. I fish the 4.6, not the 5.5 and happy with it.

REK.

·
Registered
620 Posts
NEWELL VS ANYTHING

I've been fortunate to catch more hoo than most will ever catch, on species targeted trips.

For some reason, the 533 5.5 has been bit more often than any other reel. I burned it up once on a 100+ hoo that spooled me. I think the funky clattering sound attracts the fish.
I also use built Penn 500, Chimano 30, 12T/2 and Tib 12HS. I like to use the 2 speeds to cast jigs that sometimes jet a tuna. The HS 533 is no fun with a tuna on the line, so I use it mainly with bombs.

The JX/2 had side load issues with 15# of drag so I dumped that. Haven't tried the HX hoo special, but look forward to it.

With 500+ casts a day, I still like the 533 the best for the bomb, and definately a HS 2 speed for casting a jig.
Hope that rational helps.

I'm not supporting one reel over any other. If I had to limit my gear, it would be a 2 speed for versatility.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
"Wow - are you suggesting I should take tips from a deckhand? Ghostboy!"

Why absolutely not! Why on earth would a savvy and sophisticated angler such as yourself listen to advice from a guy with 20 years experience working Long Range boats and spends somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-200 days a year on the water? That comment was meant for everybody else who can still get their heads and egos through the standard sized doorway. You know, the guys who don't know everything.

You really are full of yourself.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
So back to the Avet vs Newell idea

Minor point....the JX is a 6.0:1 / 2.8:1 so it is a 6/3
the HX is a 5.4:1 / 2.4:1 so it is a 5/2

The Newell has always been a jig tossing favorite and has a loyal following but it does have some flaws. The drags fade, the handles break and the anti reverse has been known to go south and they sound hollow...yeah I know it's "Graphite". The plus side is that they are very easy to work on....for a reason.

The Avet is a stronger reel just from materials used (read not graphite)and the drags seem to last longer although the ramp up on the drag curve is a bit steeper than a Newell. The clicker on the Avet gets bothersome because it drops into gear way to easy but that is a easy fix. From sheer pulling power the Avet will out perform a Newell on big fish....I mean c'mon....how many big fish are taken on a Newell compared to an Avet?

I find that the few Newells that I have now only go on 1/2 - 3/4 trips....you just don't see many of them on the longer trips.

This is just my own opinion from what I have seen and experienced from fishing both reels.

Now I hope I don't resemble the guy that Steve K was referring to as a know it all because I can see the value in honest dialogue regardless of what reel I prefer. I love it when people make "absolute" statements of fact.

"YoYoMan - Dude, by far Newell is the best jig reel on the market. If someone would like to dispute my claim, bring it on! - Ghostboy!"

Just for a different idea in a star drag reel.....I'll take a Saltiga over your Newell anyday of the week.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After much deliberation, I picked up the Avet HX (standard width) and will keep the 533 for those times when it works for the application.Once again, thanks to all for the info and an interesting thread.
YYM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.