Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
re: phantom vid

I just wasted 20 minutes reading that whole thread at BD, looking for a link to the video, and there isn't one. Without the video, the whole thing is a load of crap.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

hogula said:
I just wasted 20 minutes reading that whole thread at BD, looking for a link to the video, and there isn't one. Without the video, the whole thing is a load of crap.
Just because you haven't seen the video doesn't mean it didn't happen. Skepticism is certainly warranted, but to completely dismiss the story altogether is foolish as well.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

the problem is a lot of people are responding to this alleged video by emailing csun, dfg, and the media. if it turns out that there was no "wsb slaughter", fisherman in general will be viewed as tabloid morons.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Randy_V said:
Start getting the word out!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/inshore-islands-fishing-reports-southern-california-usa/108299-horror-west-cove.html
It's pinned on the main board. While I certainly don't agree with the alleged practice, I'm not so sure it warrants the term "slaughter". As one above poster stated, we need to get the full story first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I fell for it based on the word of some reputable? captains. As the promised video has not surfaced yet I'm inclined to be a little embarrassed/pissed at this point.
Thank God any letters I sent were civil.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
lol

ALL IS OKAY IN WEST COVE?
Internet, Damaging?
BY BRANDON HAYWARD / WON Staff Writer
Published: Jun 13, 2008

Print This Article
Email This Article
Digg This Article

Oh, the internet. It?s a great tool, but one that can do quite a bit of damage? The other day (Thursday) there was eight small gill nets put in West Cove, Catalina Island, for research purpose, by the folks at CSUN.

The nets are 150 feet long and have small, 1- to 2-inch mesh. The goal? Catch juvenile white seabass. It sounds strange, but it?s the only way to determine year-class and recruitment of wsb.

The study has nothing to do with the impeding MLPAs, contrary to the internet posts that slammed CSUN for doing there scientific research that is done BY LAW as part of the hatchery program (see the bottom of this post for more details).

HUBBS does similar research gill netting down south, and there are a bunch of other netting programs that occur at other locations. It just so happened that the day the nets were put in West Cove there had been some good white seabass fishing going on, so some boats were in there.

The Phantom was one of the boats in West Cove the day the nets were in there and skipper Tino Valantine called in a audio report to 976-tuna saying that the nets were doing quite a ?bit of damage? killing lots of wsb. In all fairness I didn?t listen to the post, so I can?t comment.

In turn a post got started on bloodydecks.com and out came the lynch mob.

Not wanting to pass judgement on second-hand info, I contacted Larry Allen, head of Marine Biology. A full story will be in next week?s WON, but here?s some details in the meantime. Copied below are my e mails to and from Allen. At the end is a good, well laid out explanation of the program given by Allen, who is the chair and professor of biology at CSUN.

TO LARRY ALLEN:

Hello Larry,

My name is Brandon Hayward, I am the saltwater editor for Western Outdoor News and Assistant Editor for Western Outdoors magazine. I know we haven't met, but I know you have worked with WON in the past.

Well, I heard the internet "chatter" about the West Cove incident. I would like to hear your take on it. There will be a story in WON next week. I am out of the office until Sunday (this is my personal e-mail). But my cell number is (949) 212-XXXX. My work details are [email protected], (949) 366-0030, ext. 37.

I am sure you are getting quite a few calls/e-mails about this, but I hope you can find the time to call me on my cell today (Friday).

Thank You,
Brandon Hayward

FROM ALLEN TO WON

Brandon,

What can I say. We have been doing this sampling for 13 years for the Dept of Fish and Game. We caught FIVE (usually juveniles) white seabass. The rest was by-catch. Most of the shallow water sharks are returned alive.

RESPONSE TO ALLEN:

Thanks for the quick response,

So FIVE fish were caught from the last round of research netting?

What was "the rest" in terms of bycatch. I'm hearing in the hundreds of 15- to 25-pound sebass ?

I know that a school of 1,000-plus fish were in there doing their spawning thing (up on the surface, rolling over on themselves, etc.) in there (West Cove) the other day. Also in the take was a black seabass (according to them, I'm only going on second-hand info).

Is there any truth to all this internet scuttlebug?

If you would like to talk to any of the six-pack guys I can pass along their cell phone numbers.

Thanks for your help! I'm not trying to stir the pot, just set the record straight.

Brandon

THIS CC?d E-mail explains it all:
FROM ALLEN, RESPONDING TO A MAN NAMED ?ANTHONY?

Anthony,

This scientific gill netting has always been under contract to the California Department of Fish and Game and has been required BY LAW by the California Coastal Commission since 1985. It is required under the permit to release white seabass from the Carlsbad Hatchery (and capture and hold brood stock). Almost 3/4s of the total recovered hatchery fish have come from releases at Catalina Harbor indicating how absolutely essential this sampling was. In truth, these are small meshed (1" to 2" mesh) nets designed to capture juvenile white seabass. We catch almost no large white seabass. They catch other small species for sure, but by-catch is minimal due to small mesh and short length (150' of each net). We set eight, small nets for necessary replication. Our nets, even combined, are much smaller and shorter than the commercial nets which used to plunder the nearshore areas, daily, prior to 1994.

We have learned a great deal from this long-term monitoring program. I have attached three of our publications based on the data collected.

This critical 13 year sampling is now ending. CF&G has cut the program due to lack of funding. June 2008 was the last trip. After this, we will not have any idea what is going on out there.

Look for more on this in next week?s issue of WON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.