Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........cuz I've been following reports for a while and the weather and fishing has been, well, at times dismal. But things are starting to look up. Here are a few quotes.

From the bridge of the American Angler, 6/6-7:

"We made the long run down and found warm water and some of those small Albacore but no BFT'S. After many hours of searching we did find the zone, right before dark. It seems we got in here a little on the late side, so we are going to be here all day tomorrow and see what happens............Today we stayed very busy running from spot to spot of Bluefin Tuna but most of them weren't very eager. We did manage to catch 18 BFTS and 1 Albacore for our efforts. We are enroute to an Island spot and then we'll just take it from there. Despite our score today, there is very good sign around and the conditions look very good for our upcoming trips and the summer. We are going to give the offshore scene a rest and take a look at it again later."

From the Excel, 6/5-6:

"When describing good yellowtail bites we frequently say that "they were biting everything" but thats exactly what happened. Flylined baits, dropper loops, yo yo irons, and surface jigs all got hammered. There is definitely a good sign of fish here...Today we fished offshore to try and get on some albacore and possibly some bluefin. We arrived at the area at first light and put jigs in the water. We didnt get a whole lot for the morning but after a few hours we got into an area of water that was holding some longfin. We scratched all afternoon with single and double jig strikes here and there with a few bait fish mixed in."

And finally from the Independence, 6/7:

"The weather has vastly improved over the last few days. They fished offshore today. Bluefin tuna was the score for today. They ranged in size from 20-40#. Ended the day with 43 total."

So we look very much forward to departure day on Friday for our threepeat of the Zuker/G Loomis sponsored 7 day on the Angler. Yellows at the Island or on the Ridge and favorable hunting conditions offshore. None of these reports are about the offshore fish chewing the paint off the boat and eating the props, but they're scratching out a good day here and there. I like our chances. We need all of you to wish us some luck as we'll certainly need that as well. Keep and eye on us at:

http://www.americananglersportfishing.com/fishing_reports.htm

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
yeah....make em pay Steve.;) The wierd part about this 7 day is that I might boat one fish the whole trip....or not.....the rest of the time will be hook and hand to the boys and taking pictures of the entire thing.

Steve,

Your Ulua is ready to roll and the Rangpur is secure. I am also bringing the 10ft models just for a bit of variety.

·
Registered
376 Posts
this stuff is killin' me ! 17 more days for my buddies and me till we get our shot at them. i'll be watching the reports very close for the next few weeks. good luck to the guys heading out before us and hope you leave some fish for me.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
titan05 said:
yeah....make em pay Steve.;) The wierd part about this 7 day is that I might boat one fish the whole trip....or not.....the rest of the time will be hook and hand to the boys and taking pictures of the entire thing.

Steve,

Your Ulua is ready to roll and the Rangpur is secure. I am also bringing the 10ft models just for a bit of variety.

or........maybe the boys will be hooking and handing to their old man...LOL

Have a great trip Jim...and be sure to get the presentation of the rod on video to share with us...that will be a keeper..

ouch ...10' [email protected]

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
john sturdivant said:
Thanks for the recap of reports Steve..I don't leave until July 5th on the Rooster but I'm already getting excited.I hope the Bluefin are still around in another month and not all wrapped by then...
and mogandave says, "See you there!" I've never done an 8 day in July. Hopefully it's all about bigger tuna at the Stones? Have you guys done this trip before. Look like you'll be watching fishy and Ray unload from their 8 day if you get there early.

Good luck to all of us. Let's hope those strays continue to escape from the seiners so there are a few left for us. I think two or three of those nice 30-40 lb Bluefin would really make the trip. Heck, just one would put me in Sashimi for a while. If the weather lays down for us for a couple of good days of offshore hunting conditions, I'll be stoked. Also looking forward to having some fun next to a pile of dirt, catching Yellows on the long rod.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey Gumba, remember too crimp your crimp this time. LOL, I had to say that. Knowing you, you have gone over your gear probably a dozen times by now, Once again, have a great trip an take care of the cardiac kid O.K.?

Hollywood

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Hopefully it?s all about great weather and good fun! I?ve never done that 8-day before, but I did the following 5-day few years ago and it was great.

Looks like they?ve done okay on the 8-day the last few years:

CAPTAIN: ANDY CATES
DATE OF TRIP: JUNE 30, - JULY 8, 2007
LENGTH OF TRIP: 8 DAYS
AREA FISHED: ALIJOS ROCKS, ALBACORE GROUNDS
FISH COUNT: LIMITS OF YELLOWTAIL, 150 ALBACORE, 50 YELLOWFIN TUNA, 2 DORADO 4 WAHOO,
3 BLUEFIN & 2 AMBER JACKS
1ST PLACE 93.4 LB YELLOWFIN TUNA, TERESA SUMMER OF SOMERSET, TX
2ND PLACE 82.3 LN YELLOWFIN TUNA caught by, MIKE BUTLER OF SONOMA, CA
3RD PLACE 71.7 LB YELLOWFIN TUNA caught by; SCOTT MC FARLAND OF WALNUT, CA

Andy Cates
DATE OF TRIP: THURSDAY JUNE 30, FRIDAY JULY 8, 2006
PASSENGERS: 28
AREA FISHED: OFF SHORE, ALIJOS ROCKS, BAJA ISLAND
FISH COUNT: 341 YELLOWTAIL 127 YELLOWFIN
40 BLUEFIN 6 DORADO
2 PARGO 4 RELEASED MARLIN
1st PLACE JACKPOT 140 LB YELLOWFIN TUNA CAUGHT BY MILES REDMAN OF LAKEWOOD, CA
2ND PLACE JACKPOT 104.4 YELLOWFIN TUNA CAUGHT BY TOM GOLDING OF CERRITOS, CA
3RD PLACE JACKPOT 77.1 LB TUNA CAUGHT BY RICHARD DAVID OF COMPTON,CA

CAPTAIN: ANDY CATES
DATE OF TRIP: FRIDAY, JULY 1 TO JULY 9, 2005
PASSENGERS: 27
AREA FISHED: CEDROS, N. & S. OFF SHORE AND GUADALUPE ISLAND
FISH COUNT: LIMITS OF ALBACORE
300 YELLOWTAIL
100 YELLOWFIN TUNA
10 BLUEFIN
1 WHITE SEA BASS
1ST PLACE 42.7 LB WHITE SEA BASS caught by,
MIKE SHELTON OF CASA GRANDE, AZ
2ND PLACE 41.7 LB BLUEFIN caught by;
3RD PLACE 35.2 LB ALBACORE TUNA caught by;
COACH CLARK OF UNION CITY ,CA
REMARKS: COACH?S BEEFER VI ; PLENTY OF ALBACORE OFFSHORE. GUADALUPE ISLAND FOR QUALITY YELLOWTAIL A HANDFULL OF BLUEFIN

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well the AA left this morning an the gang, Titan (jim hall, steveK and jims son's an the rest are probably getting ready for the steak an shrimp dinner tonight. Jim said when the boat came in, the guys getting off said 40/50# YT freeswimmers were all around the boat an small schools of BFT that made it thru the seiners are still around. Flat seas an great fishing was done. Two weeks from today we will be doing the same thing, all settled down, an drinks flowing an good cigars on the stern. Well, we can give you a club soda Hoodad,,,,,,,,,LOL... Can't wait

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.