Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take my 14' Porta-Bote out to either Dana Hbr or maybe MDR & fish the 270 & other freighter lane areas for Dodos. It's a long haul to Dana & I don't know what the parking situation will be there with all the fishing frenzy right now. I don't have the luxury of a live bait tank. I do have quite a selection of lures that resemble sardines, squid & also cedar plugs to cast & troll. Any suggestions on where to try & what lures might work for Dodos? I would be going out Sunday & have never caught one of these exotics. I would really like to see one up close with all the cool colors that supposedly change after being caught. If this is in the wrong forum, moderator go ahead & move it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=312&topic_id=208506&mesg_id=208506&page=

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I would try some cedar plugs in wood color and blue and black...I read on another board where a guy used nothing but cedar plugs and had a great day...this was further down near the 181 and 182.

I wold also try some smaller rapplas type lures that look like small macs....

I checked the belly of the 21 pounded my friend caught. He was plugged with 3-5" macs and only a few dines.

Tried blue and silver Irons, Yellow and green, Silver with reflector tape crocs and did not get any hits....I should have trolled some plastics just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I lost one on a little crock last week, but no way in hell would I go out there in some fold up 14' plastic boat.

KP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fold up PLASTIC BOAT!!!?? I would stay real close to the nearest bay, I have seen "undergunned boats waaaaaay out there getting the $hinot beat out of thier selfs. Its not worth the risk.......................

"Pescado 5150"

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I do not like to be harsh , but going offshore in a 14', low freeboard, foldup boat is NUTS. There's no sugercoating it, the entire concept has excessive risk. Let's think about it:

1. Greater than 98% of the dorado that have been caught are 9-25 miles off the beach. Even with a handheld vhf and gps your chances of getting help in less than 30 minutes is very questionable should the need arise.

2. Yes, recent weather has been "calm" seas; however, calm is a relative term: the 3-5' long-interval swell and 5-10 mile per hour winds that are our current "norm" will produce a far different experience in your vessel than on even a modest 18' CC. If the afternoon breeze stiffens to even 10-15 mph, you're going to be in real trouble.

3. Finally, there's the practical problem of no live bait; ~95% of the dorado that have been caught have been on live bait or slow trolled live bait. Jigs are a last resort. All the risk will most likely pay little dividends.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Do yourself a favor, let other PBers know you'd be interested in tagging along and sharing expenses and I'll bet you'll get your dorado.

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went out Sunday. The Dodos were 18 miles out of Dana Hbr. The marine weather was nice. The fish would not bite any of the artificials I tried. I met John (Quiteman) out there who had some really nice fish that he posted pics of in the fish reports forum. As for the danger level, I've been going offshore for 6 years in Porta-Botes & have encountered all sorts of bad weather & small craft advisories. I know how to handle that boat & keep it floating if it gets damp inside(slight understatement). Should others get Porta-Botes & do what I do? NO WAY!! I have been advised by Porta-Bote not to suggest others to do what I do. BTW, I have a 22ft Whaler Outrage if the weather is too rough for the Porta. Also, when I got back to the hbr, my gps showed 40.3 miles traveled & I burned 2 1/4 gallons of gas. Thats almost 18mpg. Not bad. Wish my Whaler could do that. Thanks for all the concern, but I survived the trip(again).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sounds like the kind of guy who only plays the "YO" and "HARD-WAYS" at the crap table, and lites up cigs whilst transferring fuel.

JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts