All Coast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want/need to keep the bugs alive until you remove the tail? I seem to remember reading that when a lobster dies, it release a toxin into the meat and it will be no good. Now if I do have to keep them alive, how hard is it? Since I am hooping at night and fishing the next day. I see pics of peeps just keeping them in ice chests.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've never heard about toxins, but the best lobster (or fish) is fresh fish, and once it dies you'll need to keep it cold. So keeping your bugs alive keeps them fresh = they will taste better.

You can throw your bugs in a bucket or cooler, then throw some kelp on top (or a wet towel) and they will stay alive for a long time.

I prefer to tail them when they are still alive, but almost dead. They start to move very slowly. When they are alive and kicking they really don't like it when you try and tail them!!

Once you tail them you'll want to immediately fridge or freeze them, depending on how long it will be before you eat them. I wrap them in tinfoil and then put them in a baggy if keeping fresh or vacuum seal them if saving in the freezer. Wrapping them in tinfoil keeps their spines from punching holes in your bags.

I ate 2 bugs about a month ago that were from last year and they tasted great!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Dead bugs spoil fast. Keep em in the bait tank . If the bait tank is not an option, like Jason said put them in a empty cooler along with a wet gunny sack, or some sea weed.
BIG TENTACLES OUT !!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I've had bugs stay alive for 2 days in an ice-chest in a cool place.
We dunk a towel in saltwater, ring it out 1/2-way, and then lay it on top of them.
The bait tank is a great option if you have the power to run it all night.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts