Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend bought a 20' Trophy with 2-stroke, 150hp mercruiser outboard locally and took it to Utah. Motor starts fine, but when put into gear and rev-up, the engine stalls. If put the engine to neutral and rev-up, the engine seems to rev fine without stalling. Any idea where to start the trouble shooting?

Stats: new spark plugs,new gas, new oil, etc. Utah elevation is higher than sea-level of course, but not sure if carb. needs to be adjusted. Exhaust seems too burn rich.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
just a guess, but whats the elevation in utah?...you may need to lean out the fuel mixture to compensate for the differance in elevation.....also make sure the timing advance linkage is still connected........

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Could be what Taurus said. I have the 125 Merc 2 stroke and took it up to Big Bear Lake (7000 feet)one weekend. It didn't actually stall but was running and missing so bad that it may as well of. I didn't bother adjusting anything because I was only there for the day, once it was back down at sea level it ran great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TAURUS said:
just a guess, but whats the elevation in utah?...you may need to lean out the fuel mixture to compensate for the differance in elevation.....also make sure the timing advance linkage is still connected........

The Elevation where he lives is about 4000ft. Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to my friend to try your suggestions and see if the engine improves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.