Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any? I would have thought that you owe it if first in and then can allow or call others in, but it would be your choice. I'd hate to get some people crashing a productive paddy if I found it first.

Can you shoot 'em? We're in International Waters right? ;)

Just curious what to expect this summer.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I personally would not pull up on an occupied paddie. There is plenty of ocean out there and if there is one paddy out there...you can bet there will be another. I laugh when I see more than one boat on a paddy. Usually 9 times out of 10 it will not be productive because of all the inexperienced boats that run up on it. Fishing paddy's on a weekend around the 209, 267, and etc. is a joke IMO also. Too much boat wash and yahoo's on weekends.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you find a kelp its yours till you leave or call someone else in.Never slide on another boats kelp it just plain wrong!Too many times I have seen boats slide on a kelp that we are fishing just because we drifted down swell a bit and we had every intension of hitting it again but could not because some ignorant person just thought they would swoop in for easy fish instead of putting in a little effort and finding their own productive bush.It is also not cool to troll back and forth by someones kelp in hopes of mooching a fish off the top side of their kelp.Common curtesy is the best rule to follow as we get private boaters from time to time that will get in our chumline and circle around us when we stop on fish like Indians around a wagon train.No Bueno!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bottom Line:
If you see another boat, drive around it. Give them at least 1/4 mile when you cruise around them. They may have worked on a 4 hour expensive chum slick ($300, I do it in tournaments), or have been working a nice yellow or albie bite. Then, Bobby "Jack Ball" comes sliding up next to you in his 1981 Bayliner looking at you like what's up..... Hey guys, what are you doing??? What a fool. Thanks for squashing the bite you ass.

Stay clear. Do your homework and find your own spot. I find when I really spend the time, and formulate my own game plan, I do better anyway. In fact I do NOT want to see anyone.

Seriously, unless you see me waving for help, stay clear! If I wanted you fishing with me, I'd invited you.

Team

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I agree on the etiquette observations above.

It's worth keeping in mind however that there is certainly no rule that says that just because you found the patty first means no one else is allowed to fish it. I've heard stories of guys throwing jigs at other boats getting too close and the bottom line is that if someone wants to push it, the guy throwing the jig is going to jail.

It's a free ocean and no one has a right to claim ownership of any piece of it. It may be rude for someone to poach your patty, but there's nothing that can be done within the law.

Bill

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I'll probably get flamed a bit for this, but I'll say it anyway....

This whole 'It's my patty, I found it first' attitude tends to grate me. Patties offshore can be difficult to find and with the price of fuel going higher and higher, you'll probably see more 'head butting' over patty ownership than less this coming summer.

Myself, if I'm working a patty that I 'found', as long as someone approaches in a manner that doesn't spook the fish, takes their turn in the drifts, etc.... I could really give a hoot that they didn't ask me first. I don't feel they need to. However, the 'pecking' order should be retained to the guy or guys that got there first.

Now if there's a half dozen boats on the scene and you're the seventh, please move on.

No one 'owns' the ocean and that guy who is heading to 'your' patty has probably burnt just as much fuel as you have and as long as he approaches correctly and joins the 'pecking' order, take the opportunity to meet a new friend.

Life's too short to burn out over the little things...

The difference in my book would be a sportie who's trying to earn a living. This would obviously be a situation where tempers could flare, so yes...., I believe one should ask.

However, the flip side should hold true as well, meaning the Sportie, knowing he would dominate the patty..., should ask as well...., or at least provide burgers and cold ones for the crew already on the patty, kinda like a good get to know the neighbor gesture.

Not every one reads fishing message boards on the Internet, so I think common sense and common courtesy should prevailâ?¦.., which doesnâ??t necessarily mean others understand â??ownershipâ?? with pattiesâ?¦., however they all can understand â??pecking orderâ?? and politeness, if itâ??s approached that wayâ?¦

Anywayâ?¦, now I went and said it.

What say you? :)

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
396 Posts
Who,s gona listen to me on the rubber ducky out there 50 miles from nowhere ??? Bigger boats seem to take advantage of small boats out there. Just what ive observed !!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm with you Bill, Play n Hookey,,, This Macho thing sometimes is a little to much, If I was on the spot doesn't bother me to share, And Lal 50 miles out whoa, You better go with us ,,,, Later I'm out, Glenn on Pacified, VHF # 69

·
Registered
277 Posts
>takes their turn in the drifts, etc....

We did the eight boat drift over a few years ago, everyone got fish and everyone actually had a good time. The fish will leave the paddy and follow the closesest boats, thus spreading out the bite all the way to the end boat, I'm with Bill on this one, no one has the right to hold a paddy hostage and if you get some fish move over and let the next gut drift over the "spot", if you expect to clean out the paddy by yourself your just asking for an unexpected chance to share anyway.

Mike

My-Tie
Bertram 28

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for the responses...

Being new, I think I was more concerned that I needed to just catch a, or some, fish on a paddy that I may have found first... Sharing would be cool and now seems like something I may need to do regardless.

I guess if I choose to slide in on someone elses paddy I may meet a new friend or have some hatin' comin' my way. I think I would rather find my own paddys but judging from Sundays crowd that may be a little too much to ask.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi first watch,

On the fuel business..... just what I was thinking! Guys that most often do really, really stupid things are invariably motivated, in part, where money and or women are involved! Doesn't fishing range = money?

The 'go find your own' policy is what I find most agreeable. However, some people don't want to burn the fuel. For the small boat PBer I would imagine it would be a matter of range (just how far you can go (including searching for paddies) with the fuel on board as well as the cost.

Just 2 cents from a guy whos boat is a kayak! Low fuel bills! :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Steve
Best way is to set up the boat just above the fish, upwind and simply drift right over or near the spot, if a paddy hog is keeping tight with motors on, just drift near as you can with your motors OFF, nobody can bitch about a dead boat drifting nearby, it's the jackass who plows into the area and runs right into the spot making waves, noise and spooking the fish. When you drift your not making noise, your just a bigger paddy.

Mike

My-Tie
Bertram 28

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
A lot of great questions and well thought out answers here as well....I think we are evolving! That's a good thing! I am not in the camp of my patty my fish as CaptChris states. I have no doubt that he is the exception to the rule in approach and courtesy, however if his compatriot's acted in the same way that he does then maybe the problem would be lessened! I don't have enough fingers to count how many times a sport boat has rammed up to us on a patty, brailed tons of bait, pulled the fish from us, and then began firing iron's at us because we are not a sportie! Different rules for sporties as they, and I mean some not most, don't utilize the same courtesy's they preach! Granted, they are faced with many more Bozo's on a day to day basis, and I understand their plight! However, when they break the golden rule they preach, then all bet's are off! Please understand Chris I am not directing this at you at all, in fact, I believe you are not one of these....in all the years I have fished, I have never, ever heard a bad or tainted thing about you or your business.....and that is extrememly commendable!

My point? Use common sense and courtesy! Don't take the Machismo attitude, my patty my fish,and help a brother out! If you are getting into the fish, and a fellow fisherman asks to come in let him! Communication is the key, as 72 is kind of the public channel, tell him how you would like to approach, tell him what's working, tell him what's not! Maybe he goes and finds the next and calls you in! I've done it for sporties....sadly with no thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bill,
You have the right attitude and I agree. I have been out and been called in on a patty when in the area and found that to be awesome!
I have also run into people that are going to be nasty regardless of any etiquette.
Personally I don't go near a patty that is occupied unless called in. On the other hand I am more then happy to call someone else in on a patty that is holding well. It just seems like more fun when more then one boats enjoy our resources.
I don't go near a sporty in the area.
It seems no matter what you do, if there are jerks out there then they will be jerks regardless.
Karma and common sense should prevail fellas!
Life is too short and fuel is too expensive to be aggravated.
See ya out there! I'll be on channel "69"

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
how do you signal someone to see if they don't mind you coming into the paddy?

~jim~

--------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, when i finally found a paddy with fish, a boater slowly approached from down current.....asked if there were YT, and if he could fish in....no problem....he was respectful, and new how to fish the paddy...he drifted one side while I drifted the other.....I would have drove me crazy if he would have got a YT and I got skunked...but hey, I got one.....who says Nice guys always finish last :) :)

Either way...fishing is suppose to be fun...people need to lighten up, or the day is a waste. JMO

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I agree with Bill, nobody owns a paddy. I've had days when we looked for a paddy all day and saw none. In that case, if I see one with a boat on it, I'm going to approach and see what's going on. It may be the last paddy we see that day. I'll stay 100 yards away and watch a while to see if anything is happening, direction and speed of the drift, just general conditions. If I'm waved in, I'll thank him and proceed. In not, I'll wait until the 1st boat drifts away enough so I won't interfere, shut down my engines and drift by the other side 20-30+ yards off the paddy. I never try to stay right next to it, just quietly drift thru 10 to 20 yards off.

Once I approached one with a 40+' boat on it. This guy was parked right on top, using his cockpit controlls to stay there and not getting bit. We were more than 50 yards away uphill and way off to the side, watching. One of my crew soaking a bait hooks up a nice 15lb YT and this guy gets so bent, he backs his boat over the paddy to chop it up. If he can't have it alone, no one can. So, he scatters the fish and everyone onboard my boat drops a bait and is on. He drives off with my 5 guys hooked up. We caught fish there for over an hour. That was the only paddy we spotted covering 80 miles that day, and that jerk chopped it up.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Your situation is exactly what I'm talking about.

Someday, that paddy might be the only patty around and the finder keeper thing just doesn't work for me. As long as the guys approach in the manner that's already been mentioned here, I'd have no problem with someone joining in the rhythm.

For those 'finder keeper' mind sets.., no one ever lost a paddy, so how come we 'find' it. Isn't it more that we've come across it?

However, some guys approach it differently and simply bring their own paddy or try to camouflage the boat so it becomes the paddy.

In cases like this, it is very wise to ask permission before you approach as the crew obviously put a lot of effort in to begin with or simply may not be stable at the start...... :) :)

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was making the 209-181-277 run last September and it was
tough locating a decent piece of lettuce. Conditions were
just perfect with glassy water and I was running full speed
having a great time looking around. I stoppped on lots of
little stuff for nada. Finally I see a boat on a nice paddy
and keep my distance, move in slow and talk to the guys
fishing. I ask if it's OK to set up a drift and fish with
them. They say OK, no problem.

The thing I noticed that was really interesting was that they
had a rod in the holder with a jig hooked on the paddy and
the drag locked down. They were just drifting along with the
paddy in tow. Just an interesting side note.

These guys even passed me a few sardines since the only bait
I had was the macs I had made myself and they thought the
fish wanted sardines. Bottom line is that I ended up with
a nice dorado and a couple of bites I farmed. All in all a
very memorable day on the water.

I would do the same if the roles were reversed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
RE: Paddy rage?

"the guy throwing the jig is going to jail."

Good point Bill, a point most people forget I imagine. The cost of fuel and other factors contribute to an attitude that is simply idiotic IMO. It is no different that the party boat argument or the seabass spot argument or......

Somewhat unrelated but similar in a lot of ways...I was running a 10k with my wife a few weekends ago and the course crossed a driveway to a shopping center. Two guys in trucks were waiting to turn into the center screaming at everyone running the race. Mind you this is a charity race with kids, families and the like. One guy get tired of waiting and decides to charge into the pack of runners clipping one guy as he jumped out of the way. there are tons of ventura County Sheriff personel on scene and the guy gets popped. I didn't hear what happened to him mbut if the runner pressed charges I am sure he will to deal with the consequences. A 10 minuted delay will likely cost this guy money and much more than 10 minutes in court and maybe jail.

Bottom line, courtesy and a bit intelligence. In my first hand experience the boat that is usually on the spot first is the one to explode in a rage when someone slides in on a paddy. haven't thrown iron at a boat though, just disgust and conversation about how stupid people shouldn't breed.

CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts