Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday my friend and I went paddy hopping. Slowwww fishing in the early part of the day, quite a few paddy's with good temp up to 75.1 south of Laussen. About noon we found a very nice kelp with lots of life. We work for 15 minutes to chum up a nice mix of dodo and yt's and hook one up. In the distance we see a boat, as soon as it see's us hookup it comes racing over and starts circling us about 25 to 75 feet away.

There was no to slight wind and current so we are dead in the water about 25 feet from the paddy and hooked up. Next thing we know this mid 30" range boat comes right up next to us with twin engines which they left running. Thats bad enough! It gets worse!

As all this is going on, here comes another boat. A 30' or so proline with twin outboards and 5 guys ob. They were cruising past about 1/4 mile off, then make a hard turn towards us and the first boat. They motor right up to, then onto the paddy with engines running. In the process they run over the line of our hooked fish! Needless to say the bite died and my buddy was bummed he lost a nice dodo (it jumped twice). At that point we cleared our lines and left to look for another paddy. The others were still there.

I know no one owns the paddy (or the fish), but a little courtesy sure would be nice to start with. Common sense would be even better!

Up to that point we had not had a boat within a mile of us while stopped fishing. It appears that good judgement and courtesy have given way to greed. Why look for fish and paddy's on your own, use the motto - "There hooked up and i'm going right in to where they are - screw-um". These other boaters just barged thier way in and killed the bite for all of us. No waves, no radio call, just slammed thier way in! I guess this is the way they do it now.

Just think, this was on thursday, wait for the weekend!

Just my personal rant, thanks for the chance to vent.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
That's a total bummer, but this is typical of unexperienced boaters and fishermen whenever there is a paddy bite going off in our waters. Hopefully if anyone out here who reads this thread and is guilty of doing this will be honest with themselves and get a clue. Unfortunately there is not much you can do other than to shake your head in disgust and go try to find another paddy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
well out on the 181(paddy) with rx and on a fish-dodo this parker comes running up on us with two jack a*$$*$ on board with there dive gear on and in the drink they go and shut the bite down for us and they stick one wright in front of us i tell them a few words and they waunted to go at it. with two kids on board i started the motor and got out of there. you now i remember when i had my first beer !!!!! peter 24ft skippy-p.h.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
>That's a total bummer, but this is typical of unexperienced
>boaters and fishermen whenever there is a paddy bite going off
>in our waters. Hopefully if anyone out here who reads this
>thread and is guilty of doing this will be honest with
>themselves and get a clue. Unfortunately there is not much
>you can do other than to shake your head in disgust and go try
>to find another paddy.

Perfect/excellent response!
I couldn't have said that better myself.

I was also thinking of posting what you posted in your 2nd post,
until I remembered . . . be very very careful if you actually
follow through with that. That could be costly!

It's only going to get worse as the fishing heats up.
That's the part that really sucks!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
My buddy and I actually did do that a couple of years ago when we had two boats pull up on a nice paddy we were catching fish on. One boat came right up and tossed a line out to snag the kelp and sit almost on top of it. We immediately lit two seal chasers and tossed them pretty close to the paddy and fired up our boat and took off to look for other paddies that no one had hit yet. The thing about is if the guys would have hailed us on the radio...we would have gladly let them come on in asking them to lay up on the outside of the paddy drift as to give us and them some room to fish it without disturbing the action that was happening on it. What's funny is if you come up on the outside of a paddy...a lot of times you can get the fish to come to you and basically chew the paint off of the hull of your boat like it was a paddy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
With the dodos here and paddy oriented fishing in full swing, expect to see more of this idiotic paddy poaching behavior in the near future.

Some people are just too stupid to own boats.

FWIW, we found a monster paddy on tuesday near the 182 and setup a drift. Another boat that we'd seen about 1 mile away came up to fish it but they stayed WAY off the paddy behind us. Didn't really matter since the fish were everywhere from right on the paddy to well out beyond them. They hooked up quite a few fish and stayed well away from us. Kudos to them (don't remember the boat name) for playing well with others.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Just remember, it's not about owning a paddy, it's about catching fish. I will never ask you if I can fish a paddy your are on. I will setup a drift upwind/upswell and do my best to not interfere with your fishing.

When people come up and troll around you, run over the paddy, etc, they aren't just screwing you out of fish, but themselves too.

Just leave and find another paddy. That's why I'm not even going to bother fishing this weekend. It's going to be a zoo, and every wanna-be and his brother will be out there. I bet vessel assist will be very busy as well.

The only reason I'm happy when somebody asks if they can fish a paddy is that typically indicates they know enough about fishing not to run it over.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Hi there,

Not directed at anyone specifically but why don't two or three boats buddy-boat? Then when one finds a 'live one' they put out the 'call in' code to their buddies.

With one's two or three boats properly fishing a paddy, it would take a real piece of garbage that didn't worry about their boat to muscle in on the paddy.

Is my suggestion just as bad as selfishly going after paddys already occupied because it's easier?

·
Registered
652 Posts
We need flags :)
You set up a drift with two buddy boats all displaying the same flag and approaching boats will know you are a team and not want to interfer?

Seems people are leaving earlier and earlier. Soon we'll be heading out the night before searching for pattys... Crazy.

And it gets worse as the season progresses? This will be my first year and won't have a new boat for maybe two weeks... I'll either miss the Dodo explosion or find conditions even worse with paddy poachers etc etc... Kinda makes me wonder if it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
i bet we could go back to the start of allcoast and each summer find at least one post just like this. it SUCKS, don't get me wrong, but it's something that we have to deal with when the dorado are close like this. should we have to deal with it? no, but there are a LOT of f'ing MORONS out there that don't have the first clue how to approach a paddy. like i said, it SUCKS.

i'll be out wednesday, and if something like this happens, you can bet that right before i leave the paddy to find another one, i'll run over the paddy myself, rev up the engines and scare are many fish away as i can (assuming the other boat(s) haven't done it already). :)

just my two cents.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
63 Posts
>When people come up and troll around you, run over the paddy,
>etc, they aren't just screwing you out of fish, but themselves
>too.
>

Now, I am new to this board, however I am not new to fishing or patty fishing specifically.....But could you explain to me the problem with a boat circling ~ 80-150 yards *outside* of the boats drifting on a patty?

I have been out looking for pattys when I come accross a parking lot---I almost always as a rule troll once cirlce around the armada--mind you at well over 80-100 yards because that is where the fish I am targeting swim at.

I just want to know if this gets under some peoples skin, AND there is something to it?

Thanks

Dave
"In Pursuit"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts