Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that Penn has discontinued this reel. I also know it has a very loyal following. What is this reel best suited for? Line weight and use? Also, with the supply dwindling, does it make any sense to purchase one of the few remaining?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I'd say it's best with 40-50# lines, yoyoing iron and fishing bait. It's Penn's take on the classic Southern California Yellowtail Special. They really waited too long to bring it out and it never caught on in other parts of the country/world.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got one for $129.95 on a special filled with P-Line. I love the reel.I was looking for something between my Jigmaster and my 6/0 Senator. I put 40# on mine for a bit bigger fish at Cat. and Albacore.
Buy em while ya can get em but i have a gut feeling they may change their mind.
I was told by a Penn Rep that it costs about $125 to make them and at the original prices up to $275 they were a hard sell.
Ya got a great reel so enjoy.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had already ordered one from Cabela's before Deerhnr posted his comment. Cabela's had been selling them for $199 on sale for a long while but just noticed last night that they had dropped their price. Don't really need it right now but figured at 56% of the original purchase price, it is only money!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Don't see that price of 139.88. I do see 189.88. What am I missing? And Jon, I got some jigs for you but went brain dead and forgot to drop them off at the Excel office! You'll really like this reel for yoyo iron and I think I would like to replace my Newell with one, also. They cast pretty good.

This post edited by Steve K 06/21/2008

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It must have just changed. I ordered mine early in the week and already have it. I checked again on Wednesday and the price was still $139. I would keep an eye out on the price because they might change it again should they not sell it at the current price. I bought it simply because it was too good a deal too pass up. Free shipping too. I don't even have a rod to put it on!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I really like mine too. I have a couple. It would work good as a yo-yo reel with 50#. I use mine on a ulua with 50# for surface. Penn keyed the drag washers seperate from the metal washers. All washers are in play, great drag. Topless and light weight, great for casting.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Outhouse said:
Guys, just checked and Cabelas once again dropped their price on the 113hn to $139. Get em' while there hot!!!
Thaks, Jon, bought another one! might have to build a new rod................... So, back to that question about capacity. 300 yards of 60 lb and what? 50 lb topshot? Seems like more than I need for 40 lb but it sure is a nice reel. I'm too lazy to do the search but I know there were some posts somewhere that talked about how to tell the difference between the older models and the one's with the "inline change" the extra bearing.

This post edited by Steve K 06/25/2008

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve K said:
Outhouse said:
Guys, just checked and Cabelas once again dropped their price on the 113hn to $139. Get em' while there hot!!!
Thaks, Jon, bought another one! might have to build a new rod...................

So, back to that question about capacity. 300 yards of 60 lb and what? 50 lb topshot? Seems like more than I need for 40 lb but it sure is a nice reel. I'm too lazy to do the search but I know there were some posts somewhere that talked about how to tell the difference between the older models and the one's with the "inline change" the extra bearing.
Steve, if my math was right, I am going to be able to put 300 yrds of JB60# plus around 150 of 50#. Someone else said I might be 20% wrong, but so what. I will still have 300 + 100 = 400. Also, I bought a Calstar glass 610 based on several suggestions from the BD site. I wanted to go cheap and yet get a good rod. I now have a 30#, 2 40#, a 50 and a 60#. Now I just need something big and I am good to go for at least a week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just picked one up for $85 new! It was a closeout at Sport Authority marked down to 50% off clearance. It's one of the older models with plastic composite star. Sweet floating freespool for a reeel with almost 20lb drag out of the box. These reels are beefy and indestructible, made in USA. My 113HLW is 20 yrs old and still going strong. A bit heavier than some of the current chech, but what the hell. For 85 bucks it wa a steal.
Now must decide if to go 40 or 50 lb.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.