Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the swap meet Saturday looking for a reel with a little more beef that my old 500 Jiggy for YT WSB and Albacore. I know all you yougins are into the Tld's and allot of the newer stuff since the good old days of the 70s and 80's when i was a youngin. I also got a triple wrapped custom made Calstar built in 1988, 655 6' with no other ID. It is listed as for 30# trolling. It has a removable Unibutt with 7 Aftco roller guides in great condition. As I've mentioned before even though i was a fishing fanatic making several dozen Baja trips for everything they have to offer with my Penns from a Squidder to my 6/0 and my Sabre's. The 320GTi is a level wind that i've never owned i liked the fact that it had bigger drag washers than the 500 and was one piece graphite frame. The Calstar 655 rated at 30# looks to be capable of bigger fish. The Calstar was custom made in 1988 with a triple wrap and the blank is white. On my Google searches most posts on the Penn are all good but seem to be mostly east coast. I got the combo for $120. I'm on disability and have to limit the size fish because of my fused spine. I have to watch my money so i look for deals. Could i get an opinion as to what i bought and the prices I paid. I would appreciate all opinions for this old fart the gave up fishing to work in many cases 7/12s that left little time for my Baja trips since 1989 but i have the fever again. My last vacation was 19 years ago and i have all the time in the worls now and i'm only 56. My hard work and loyalty didn't help much because Boeing Long Beach laid the older guys so we couldn't reach retirement even though my back is so bad it hurts to shave. Sorry this is so long but more info is better than less. Thanks a bunch for all your informative knowledge that i always get here. I need to buy a fighting belt that will help my back so i would appreciate suggestions for one for a person with a real bad back?

This post edited by boeing461 06/11/2008

·
Registered
161 Posts
I own a 340GTI wich I use for rock cod and Humblt squid. Loaded with spectra your 320GTI it is a great reel for heavy applications, in wich you want a slow retrieve and a level wind.The reel should work well for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.