Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Picked up a Ruger No. 1

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Frank_O 
#1 ·
I just put a 1970's vintage Ruger No 1 on it's 10 day wait. It's chambered in 270 Win which was not my first choice but when I saw the wood on this thing I had to have it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Baja Dreamer said:
Wow, very nice stocks there Frank! What's the scope" Was it included?
That's a 4X Leupold that came with the gun, I'll probably change it out for a 3x9 Leupold that I have extras of. The funny thing is that the guy hasn't shot it in 30 years and the scope is mounted 90 degrees off. The elevation turret is pointed to the side.

This post edited by Frank_O 03/31/2013

#11 ·
I took it out last week to the range since I had to go out and check the zero on my 7Mag that I took pig hunting last weekend. I just threw together a starter load of 50 grains of H4350 and a 140 grain Barnes TSX just to see how it would shoot. After a quick bore sighting and one shot on paper at 25 yards, I shot four rounds at 100 yards.

The group on the left is the four, 270 rounds and I'm pretty happy that it shoots a nice group at 1.5" with no load development. I'm sure that with some load development I can get it below that. I'm just glad it wasn't stringing shots as it heated up like a lot of No 1's do.

Ignore the group on the right, it's a three shot group with my 7mm Mag that I was checking before my pig hunt.

#13 ·
Frank_O said:
I took it out last week to the range since I had to go out and check the zero on my 7Mag that I took pig hunting last weekend. I just threw together a starter load of 50 grains of H4350 and a 140 grain Barnes TSX just to see how it would shoot. After a quick bore sighting and one shot on paper at 25 yards, I shot four rounds at 100 yards.

The group on the left is the four, 270 rounds and I'm pretty happy that it shoots a nice group at 1.5" with no load development. I'm sure that with some load development I can get it below that. I'm just glad it wasn't stringing shots as it heated up like a lot of No 1's do.

Ignore the group on the right, it's a three shot group with my 7mm Mag that I was checking before my pig hunt.

I'll bet the one on the left can be tightened up when you have time to work with it a bit. ;)

#14 ·
Took it out again this morning.

I loaded up the 140 grain TSX with H4350 and shot some 3 shot test loads. 50.5 grains went into .550" and .758" Hodgdon says that I should get about 2800 fps with that load and everything up from there opened up the groups.

I was shooting using the tailgate of my truck as a rest with the 3-9X scope. I'll probably put a 24X scope on it and see what it will do when I can hold a smaller aiming point off of a good bench when I chronograph it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.