All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

Is the Queen Mary going to have a fireworks show this year? Thinking about taking the family out to see it.

If they are doing the show and you have seen it before, how bad is the situation on the water? I don't want to take the family out if it's going to be a couple hundred boats full of drunks who only go out at night once a year.

In our little tin boat, we'd be the loser in almost any collision, so I'd rather not put the whole fam damily in jeopardy if it's a nuthouse out there.

Thanks

Kurt

·
Registered
223 Posts
According to the QM website, there will be a fireworks show @ 9PM the 4th, from the deck of the QM. Not from a barge in the Harbor as was several years ago. I suspect the show may be downsized from the past also.
Ferg
Monterey 302 out of Shoreline Marina

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Kurt I have heard that it is nuts. Once the show is over it is a mad dash in the dark to be the first back to the docks. I have heard horror stories about it running 20 feet away from speeding boats in the darkness just to have someone split you going faster. If you go be careful. Might not be worth it with the family unless they want to set up outside the wall and fish until the crowd dies down.

Dave Abeelen
[link:www.swimbait.com/|Big_Hammer_Swimbaits]

[link:www.pro-cure.com/|Pro-Cure_Bait_Scents]

[link:www.morningstarcc.org/|Morningstar_Christian_Chapel]

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be heading over there with family and friends. Probably 3 boats in all. Having been out there several years on my old mans boat, I'd wait anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hour after the fireworks are done. The idiots out there in the cigarette boats couldn't care less who they run over. Almost every time the harbor patrol is pulling someone off the rocks or another boat.

Be careful and have fun.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Crowds on land and boat traffic should be lighter this year as many people think the show has been canceled after last year's cancellation. Put out some bumpers and you should be ok...

·
Registered
472 Posts
The wife and I will be out there as well. This will be the first time in the last 6 or 7 years that I haven't had to work night shift on the 4th. Last time I watched from a boat was 1985. I'll bet it will be more crowed than it was 20 some years ago. I'll wait till the mad dash settles down before I come back in too.
Have a safe 4th!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts