Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Zuker / G Loomis on the Angler.....just a quick version with a full blown report a bit later.

Great Yellowtail Action in a couple different zones..........the Jig Sticks were plenty busy by me and my two sons....the 10 footers were a riot.

The BFT......light line (25#)......flouro (20# - 25#)and a small ringed flyliner
( # 2 or #4 ) some guys were using bigger. Big area of fish, great conditions and yes......Bluefin do hit the trolled feather. John Lloyd ( Zuke ) knows every trick in the book when it comes to feathers and I thank him for passing some of those tidbits on to me.

A quick word about the AA.....to quote Monte at M&M Rods
" The best damn sportfishing boat.....period."
Brian has got that fishy zen thing going on and the guys on the deck ( Ray, Taro, Jordan and Cameron ) are some of the very best in the business. Paul and Greg in the Galley are in a word.....amazing.

I love this boat and the guys..........missed Sam on this one but he was in full on let's go rip fish mode when I saw him on the dock and to the one that holds it all together in the office.....Lori.....Thank You

.....this is like family and I know that my boys appriciate everything you all did for them.

Jim Hall

It's time to quit wishing and go fishing.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paulskier said:
Thanks for the report--how big were the BFT??
Paul
That was just a quick hitter for anybody getting on the water within the next few days.

BFT were to 20 - 40 pound range but.........we all know that BIG fish swim with little fish. The BFT was a ripper........catch to hook ratio was 80 -90 %....we had some casualties

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get a couple of those Bluefin on the trip. Actually landed 3, but the first was a hook and hand from Jordan, one of the crew. We donated that one to the galley for the Thursday sashimi spread. The other two were about 25-26 lbs, and tough little buggers on that 25 lb line, but we got 'em.

Hey Jim, how did your trolling team do? Was it Team One?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Okie Man if your on the Shaker trip next Wed., prepare to have fun. The trip has a lot of Sam & Brian's long time passengers back to the Pacific Queen days. It's a great group of people that are good fisherman and fun people. There's a lot of good natured ribbing going on at all times and when the fish bite we getm' good. The passengers are real good at working togeather at the rail.

Tight Lines
BG

·
Registered
376 Posts
yes that's the trip i'm on. how about you, you on this one? i a'm just about to crawl out of my skin reading the reports from the last week. sounds like a little offshore variety and then some outstanding yellowtail action. when you only get too do one of these trips every other year its good to hear that i'll be sharing the rail with a good bunch of guy's.can't wait

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okie man said:
great news, glad to hear youand the boys had a great time. sounds like we are going to hit it just right on our trip next week. what were the hot colors on the iron? damn i can't wait!
Hot Colors;

Mint, camo green (aka Bird$hit)during the day. Blue / White in the evening and swirled yellow brown in the morning. Thats the pattern that worked for me and my son Matt took 3rd in the JP with a 36+ Yellowtail on the mint fishing the Ulua. We did seem to have a good time on the long sticks.....I know my body is still sore but it is a good kind of sore.

Steve K is a bit smarter than I am.....he scored on bait and put a good score together but when he got froggy.....yeah...he grabbbed the Ulua as well.

Hope you guys rip it up

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve K said:
I was fortunate enough to get a couple of those Bluefin on the trip. Actually landed 3, but the first was a hook and hand from Jordan, one of the crew. We donated that one to the galley for the Thursday sashimi spread. The other two were about 25-26 lbs, and tough little buggers on that 25 lb line, but we got 'em.

Hey Jim, how did your trolling team do? Was it Team One?
Yes, the name of our team was "Trolling Team One Sucks".......you know that the color that got hit was my old reliable....stopped the boat first than had a double then we finished with all four of us going off. Got a nice picture of the feather color full of blood. Zuke just smiled when he asked what I was fishing and the little modification that gave it a different track we discussed.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
"Steve K is a bit smarter than I am.....he scored on bait and put a good score together"

Actually, Steve had a rather low score compared to most other anglers. Seemed like I kept zigging when I should have been zagging. When the fish came up to boil I was dropping in with the dropper loop or a yoyo jig. And then when they were hitting the deep stuff, I was up top with the surface plug or a flylined bait.

And then there were several tackle failures, just broken line for a variety of reasons, probably all my fault. But, it's pretty hard to get bummed out about only taking home 5 Yellowtail with a total weight of about 100 lbs. I mean, they're fun to catch but how much Yellowtail can a guy eat?

Matt and his brother Steve probably soaked a few baits while we were offshore tuna fishing, but when we were in Yellowtail mode, they were "Team All Iron" and it paid off for them. I think with all the krill and bait in the water at Cedros, a flylined Sardine did not stand much chance of getting bit, but the reaction strike on the iron was working really good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
titan05 said:
Okie,

I got you covered.....I will either see you on the dock or leave it with the office

10 foot Ulua work for ya?
right on dude, never swung a 10footer but i will sure give it a try. thanks a bunch. i would rather meet you in person , i get in to sd tuesday afternoon. pm me your # and i'll give you a call when i get there and maybe we can hook up and have a cold one down by the docks or something. thanks again .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.