All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So letâ??s see, first choice is to go fishing, second is to read about the otherâ??s trips on Allcoast and third is sit in your boat, in the driveway and listen to the radio chatter on the VHF radio. OK, so my neighbors think Iâ??m a nut sitting in the boat, beer in one hand, fiddling with this or that and the radio squawking away.

My question is, can I communicate with the other boaters if my boat is not on the water? I know that physically, yes I can make the trip via radio from here to Cat and beyond, but is there any rules in regard to having to be on the water to use the VHF?

Thanx ERIK

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
The simple answer is NO!!!!!!!!!

With that said, all we need is for the whole land bound population talking over the radio!!!!!!!!!!

Don

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes you can, same as land based yacht clubs, harbor patrol, vessel towing services, marine radio shops and other services. Technically you may need to be licensed I havenâ??t dealt with the FCC in years regarding this subject so I may not be 100% about the license. The content of your communications must be related to marine and not general communications.

Mike

·
Registered
307 Posts
Land based VHF radios must be apply for and prove the need for a "Marine Coast Station Authorization" licensed by the FCC. Authorized land stations are only allowed to broadcast on those channels for which they have coordinated authorization.

Bottom line: it's illegal to transmit from the shore unless you have the auth/license. Do 'they' ever actually catch and prosecute. I know 'they' have busted hoaxsters broadcasting from trailer boats in the driveways....

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Got my FCC license years ago when it was required, have updated since, but the answer is yes, you need the license to broadcast, not to listen. Not very difficult to aquire, however, it takes a while to recieve, since it is "A Government entity!"

·
Registered
852 Posts
>Land based VHF radios must be apply for and prove the need
>for a "Marine Coast Station Authorization" licensed by the
>FCC. Authorized land stations are only allowed to broadcast
>on those channels for which they have coordinated
>authorization.
>
>Bottom line: it's illegal to transmit from the shore unless
>you have the auth/license. Do 'they' ever actually catch and
>prosecute. I know 'they' have busted hoaxsters broadcasting
>from trailer boats in the driveways....
>
>

what sano said.

monty
21' striper
jake's dream

1 - 7 of 7 Posts