Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Ok, Ive made semi slick butts from this material before with great results..decided to try rail rod grips. They are solid high density rubber cork composite, much denser than the grade used for cork tape. Very tough stuff! Took me a while to figure out the tooling, but I finally got some prototypes!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/finadict/other%20stuff/rail-grip1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/finadict/other%20stuff/rail-grip2.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/finadict/other%20stuff/rail-grip3.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/finadict/other%20stuff/rail-grip4.jpg

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If it holds up to being dragged on the rail, I love it. I have destroyed a few Hypalon grips this way.

Last January I saw a nice rod with the heavy duty "cold shrink tubing" that had a hole rubbed through it.

I'll be watching to see the results.

UT

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'd be interested in a piece in place of the lower hyp like 10-11" long, will it stretch like hypalon to fit different diameter butt sections?
How long would you make them, 12-14" maybe to replace upper hyp?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used this stuff a few years ago for rear grips I called them "semi-slick butts". They hold up great..easy to pull out of a rod holder under load, but still provides some grip. Never thought to make foregrips for rail rods until recently. These do not stretch like hypalon. They need to be reamed to fit. The ones pictured are 12", im making 14" also.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the stuff from that guy in Florida, right Scott? Cool deal! Those grips oughta be tough as nails.
Very close to the stuff that the bike shop we built out used for most of his flooring, which is showing no wear whatsoever after a lot of high foot-traffic days and having bikes and cleats drug all over it.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Yo Scott!,

I'll be curious to see how well your new grips work, they look just fine. Are they as "tacky" feeling as cork tape or do you think that they will slide on the rail ok?

I'm considering using small steel cable but I'm afraid Norm might make me pay for damage to the rail! :)

FISH HARD!

Chris

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris, the "tackyness" can vary by the grit of paper used to final sand. 400-600 grit will give almost a polished sheen. I personally like the raw machined finish I'm getting...excellent surface grip, but will still slide on the rail because of the density of the material, it doesnt compress at the contact point.

I was doing some bench testing with this stuff yesterday. I glued a 5" piece onto a piece of steel rod, grabbed the ends of the rod like handle bars, and dragged the material around my work bench...grinding it very hard onto the rough edges of the wood benchtop. This would have easily torn hypalon to ribbons, cold shrink too for that matter. If I saw a boat rail as rough as my bench, I would prolly be afraid to board...wondering what sort of disrepair I dont see...LOL! I didnt see hardly any wear at all...only a dark discoloration from the grime on my bench. It cleaned up with a few swipes of 240 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Sounds interesting!
>
>Sssoooo Scott,...................you gonna produce any for
>sale maybe, hhmmm? :)
>
>
>FISH HARD!
>
>Chris

Yup :) I havnt nailed down exactly what the final price will be, once I finish the first run of 35, I'll know for sure. Right now I figure roughly 25 bucks each for 14" X 3/4" bore. Im still machining mandrels for 1/2", 5/8",and 7/8" bores.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>OK now I'm hooked! You gonna distribute thru the boys at
>Cypress of will the factory(you) direct?

I'll prolly go direct until I can crank out enough of em to reduce the cost to be able to sell them on the wholesale level. Need volume to justify that... dont wanna put the cart ahead of the horse. Of course the boys in Cypress always get first crack at my stuff. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Craigen, please re-send the e-mail...my e-mail addy here on this site was wrong! All fixed!

Right now the grips are only one color..they look different in some of the pics when I used the flash. The true color is almost identical to the color of cork tape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds interesting!

Sssoooo Scott,...................you gonna produce any for
sale maybe, hhmmm? :)

FISH HARD!

Chris

Yup :) I havnt nailed down exactly what the final price will be, once I finish the first run of 35, I'll know for sure. Right now I figure roughly 25 bucks each for 14" X 3/4" bore. Im still machining mandrels for 1/2", 5/8",and 7/8" bores.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds interesting!

Sssoooo Scott,...................you gonna produce any for
sale maybe, hhmmm? :)

FISH HARD!

Chris

Available now?
Contact?
Thought real Hypalon and 3m shrink was fairly good but!
Rgds.
Malcolm Hayward.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Available now?
Contact?
Thought real Hypalon and 3m shrink was fairly good but!
Rgds.
Malcolm Hayward.
The thread is 15 years old, but I can say Scott's grip material is great. I've have it on a GFR7465XXH for about 15 years and love it. Still looks almost like new. Much nicer that cold-shrink over hypalon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts