Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Finally got the pictures of Elvis

Seadancer, this is directed to you. Who are you to judge the ethical or moral activities or any fisherman. First I would like to state that if that fish is 50-60 lbs the 84 lb bluefin your partner is holding up would be more along the lines of 30 lbs. In the NE a 84 lb bluefin would be used as shark bait because it would be to embarrassing to bring back to the dock, 600 lbs is more the norm.

Now I would like to address the 100 or so "released" billfish. If you used anything lighter than 80 lb test and fought the fish for more than one hour what hard evidence do you have that any of those fish survived, returned tags maybe? If you realized what the mortality rate is of released billfish maybe you wouldn't be so quick to judge a gentleman that has spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on the ocean in his life time to catch fish abroad, who are you to condemn for killing what seems to be the catch of a life time. Let's just say 25% of your released billfish have died that means that you have killed 24 more billfish then this man who has caught this fish of a lifetime and will probably never have the opportunity to kill another.

In closing I would like to thank you Craig for bringing the cockpit's of our boats into the living room. I remember the good old days when men could go fishing and what happened on the boat stayed on the boat, a day when men didn't bitch about on the Internet. You remind of a guy that would tell his wife what would happen at a bachelor party. If you are ever in South Florida and want to kill a legal 47" fish, look me up.

Garrfish

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Kind of reminds you of those brits ragging on a guy catching a 500# plus sword doesn't it? Do you remember that one? We called it the wankers thread.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Well...I think there must be enough said on this subject. Finally got locked up. :p Nice to see some right coasters sticking up for left coasters. I'll see you guys on your side again. I PROMISE.

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Some of the hardcore C&R billfishermen amaze me. They have a fit if a guy keeps the only billfish he has ever caught. Then they go out and fish them every weekend on 30# and fight them forever, stick a miniture harpoon in their back ( If they are a good shot ) and let them go to" maybe " to fight again. If they truly care so much, why dont they just leave them alone ?
This is like a guy saying, I love my kids. I would never kill one of them, but I like beating them up every weekend. This is only slightly, tongue in cheek.
If people realy want to make a difference they have to fight the factory ships that take more billfish in one trip, than all sportfisherman catches in a lifetime.

Photo Ho

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

Enough was enough for me.
Congratulations go out to everyone involved, now go get another one.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

I didnâ??t get a chance to respond before the thread bombed out..

â??That swordfish is a baby, C&R would be nice on those size fish, imho!â??

Stating my opinion on small billfish as I did, â??in my opinion onlyâ??, doesnâ??t say one cannot or I may not keep any particular billfish as they or I please, if deemed legal by the prevailing fish & game commission.

I typically do not fish for billfish by my choice, and have never killed one to my knowledge, but as a seasoned angler, I would love to pull on the challenging swordfish.

â??I've got a few responses to the responses. First, none of the fish were 50-60 pounds, the smaller one looks about 80â??

â??Finally you have to consider where the fish are being taken. If you get into a school of big blue finâ??s while long ranging and get 100 pound plus fish you think you really scored some trophies. On the east coast 100 pounderâ??s are considered juveniles.â??

I agree, pelagic fish visiting different regions of the worldâ??s oceans, where recreational anglers can get to them, vary widely in size, opportunity, and so called trophy catches.

So in the life of a swordfish, is 50-80 or 100lbs. on the small size everywhere? It would be here in Southern California waters. There are definitely fish in the 100-150lb range here, but most are larger. Stick boats routinely capture 300-400-500-600lb fish in the Calif Bight.

And as with the 84lb blue fin I captured last Saturday in near coastal waters off San Diego/N. Baja, being a fairly rare catch for its size I opted to take it. In the past twenty years or so the blue fin population that regularly makes it up this far is 15-40lbs, with larger fish staying more southerly or traveling up & outward of the Channel Islands. Then again, most private boat bft catches are fairly rare here, especially given the huge commercial pressure here now.

â??And this is with out question a once in a lifetime catch.â??

Given the number of shots any individual angler has in their lifetime, sure, I guess. But if you can routinely fish FL waters and the pros are getting more than a few a night, no, not in that size range. Why else would they be going back? To capture a larger model, or go for â??the fish of a lifetimeâ??

On the West Coast, I think any landed rod & reel fish would fall into that category, but like Lake said, the fishery is vastly different on both coasts.

As to â??bring this into our living rooms.â??

I think it is a healthy discussion, and there is really no need to challenge or threaten your will on people. We all spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in this sport, and professional skippers work their ass off to make quality livings for their families, it just doesnâ??t mean everything on the other end of the line needs to be doomed, imho.

And you know Garrfish, feeding an 84lb BFT to sharks for bait really sounds pretty lame, imho. If all fisherman had that attitude the environmental wakos will shut down fishing everywhere.

My latest copy of Saltwater Fisherman has a long article about how east coasters chase and catch bluefin tuna up and down the coast that range from 15-50lbs. Amazingly, they did not have a photo to post showing a fish as large as 84lbs, let alone someone pitching it over to a mako shark!

Not doubt large brut BFT roam the water from Cape Hatteras to Nova Scotia, but from what I have read it is a highly regulated fishery, and the stock has been decimated by over fishing.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts

>And as with the 84lb blue fin I captured last Saturday in near
>coastal waters off San Diego/N. Baja, being a fairly rare
>catch for its size I opted to take it. In the past twenty
>years or so the blue fin population that regularly makes it up
>this far is 15-40lbs, with larger fish staying more southerly
>or traveling up & outward of the Channel Islands. Then again,
>most private boat bft catches are fairly rare here, especially
>given the huge commercial pressure here now.

I couldn't have said the above any better myself Rory.
You don't owe anyone any explanation for keeping that Bluefin!
They are definately a highly prized commodity for us Private Boaters.
Here's the original thread for your reading pleasure.
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=315&topic_id=150122&mesg_id=150122

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Just for the kicks you may want to check out the website www.swordfishingcentral.com. Its a great site the south Florida guys have. This will give you all a true perspective of the size swords that are caught on a nightly basis. Its a very healthy resorce they have there. Also the recent Chasing Swords seminar that Pacific Coast Sportfishing Magazine held in Newport Beach, which by the way was very well done and informative, featured Capt. Cory Berlew of Deerfield Beach, Florida. This guy has over 700 swords caught with well over half tagged and released. We all recieved one of his DVD's. Shows him catching 3 swords. First one was BIG. It was lost after a 2+ hour fight. The next one was about 100 lbs. The last looked to be about 40 lbs and was released. To them it was a great night of fishing.
Tight lines & Big fish to you all.
Jeff

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

Thanks for the link. No hard feeling please. I wasn't really trying to slam your efforts, but wanted to see KP's reaction to the release statement since he posted the photos & story.

Someday if I could afford to go and cannot get one going here in the Pacific, I would consider heading to FL myself!

Just to show the differnce between trophy fish on each coast...

Now that is a back breaker, imho...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

There have been Bluefin up to 800# caught just outside of the Channel Islands here in Cal.
Photo Ho

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
RE: 800lb BFT off Channel Islands..

To my knowledge, no fish that big were landed by recreational sportfisherman, nor by rod & reel. Just a bonanza for a day or two by the net boyz...

It is thought that with the depths out here, tuna that large would head for the deep water and spool ya.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I remember it like yesterday.

November and December 1988, and the first week of January 1989.
15 boats netted the BIG Tuna from 300 to 1009 pounds.
It took place between Santa Rosa and San Nicholas islands.
Japanese wholesalers paid as much as 32 dollars a pound for the Tuna.
Most of the commercial fishing feet in San Pedro considered this a miracle.
This event changed the participating fishermans lives forever.
It was freekin' amazing!

I have an article and pictures buried somewhere.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Banned
720 Posts
RE: I remember it like yesterday.

John, please try and dig that article up.

I am very interested in that and would love to read about it.

I mean that sincerely!

The Stewmaster

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
RE: I remember it like yesterday.

they also popped up a few years earlier in that same decade. rory is correct. look at the charts and the depths of the area. I believe it was '84 or '85. tackle reps tried doing the long range-thing when being spooled - clipping rigs together. they stopped at 3 rigs over the side.
on the east coast, these fish are typically caught and chased in less than, what, 100 FEET of water?

·
Registered
231 Posts

None taken Rory. Hope you feel the same about the BD post. :D Just good clean fun. Heck I even wish it was my fish I was defending. Mine got away. I think mine was around 2000 Lbs. Right KP?
Jeff

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

·
Registered
231 Posts

Hey BTW PHOTO HO you do some amazing stuff with a camera. Very cool sh!t. :)

Scallywag
Edgewater 22CC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts