Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave it another try on Saturday morning after an unsuccessful trip a couple weeks ago. Left Newport harbor at 7AM. Ran straight into the SE wind about 4 miles then threw out the Bait O Matics with mackerel pinned under the skirt. Trolled till 11 then pulled up and ran home with our tail between our legs. From the radio it sounds like no one had any action that day. We did see a big pod of what I think where pilot whales. One got us all worked up as it was thrashing around about 500 yards away from us until we realized what it was. That was the highlight of the morning. Also saw what looked like a 20 lb bonito come 3 feet out of the water about 2 miles out of Newport harbor. Still not sure exactly what it was.

Even though it was a wet, windy and no fish where caught, it?s still always great to get a morning on the water.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey RR, Have you guys fish out in front of the Dana pt hospital yet?
Seems that many of the fish are coming from that area. We'll be out on Sat. if your out sat give us a hail (Big Tuna on the Robalo)

its always nice to chat when your on a boring slow troll.

Tight lines

Tuna

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tuna,
Thanks for the response. We where down off the Hospital the day before you guys caught that 300lb?er. We had a big one whack both of our baits in half off the bait-o-matics right at sunset but no hookups. Then last weekend we where trolling in that direction but it sounded like no one was having any action.
Just bought my first house and am moving into it this weekend so won?t be out there but thanks for the heads up. Next time out Ill see if I can post to you or I?ll try and raise you on the radio.
Good luck Saturday. Give us a post if you have any success.
Chas
Red Rocket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.