Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a post by old timer and he mentioned fishing off of the Redondo Barge and it brought back good memories. I too grew up on that thing probably going once a week in the summers and the rest of the the time when I had no money was spent on the Redondo rocks or in a leaky P.O.S. fiberglass dingy that we found near a dumpster in an ally. We would fish the Redondo bay in that thing and used to catch big bonito right there. When we had money we would go out on "The Gentleman" out of Paridise Cove. Man that was livin!I saw the captain on more than one occasion shoot a rifle (i think a .22 at blue sharks and seals). I will never forget when some salty old man ate a live anchovey right in front of me to gross me out. I think was about 11 years old then so It must have been around 1975.

On the barge we would catch lots of bonito and mackerel. With the mackerel we would throw them up in the air about 20 feet and let them fall back in the water from the barge which was about another 20 feet above the water and listen to them smack the surface. (dont tell the SPCA) but I think most of the swam away.I think I also drank my first beer on the barge when I was a teenager! Anybody else had any good times back in the day in the Redondo or Malibu area?

·
Banned
123 Posts
[email protected] Oh, My God..that was me. I used to have a couple brews and drop them Pinhead Anchovies all the time. Love Live YT hearts.
I worked that boat. I fished P.Cove a lot not much happening there, but Malibu was good.
I could tell stories but no one would believe them.
but got lots about some "movie folks" down there..
and the "Tonga Lei"?(sp) was my hang out...saddle up to a couple "Fog Cutters etc.". and a few of those poly appitizers..

SF-61

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Those were really fun times. We use to go out to the barge, suck down a few, an those were some big bonitas back then. I laugh now when people say look at the log he's bringing up. Hell, some of those logs we use to catch were huge. Also use to fish alot out of P.C. on the that boat. Almost every weekend one or the other places or hit Ventura, or San Clemente an fish the boats. I think it was like $7.00 for 1/2 day, something like that. But the fun trips was on the Happy Man out of Marina Del Rey. Would take that boat out 3/4 times weekdays for 1/2 day an catch yellows, and halibut. Best part was no Fuel Surcharge. LMAO

Hollywood

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
If the archives search worked past 2004 (which they do not, at least for me), I could refer you to some great threads on this topic. I've requested that AC fix that, but I've not gotten much traction on my requests to fix things on the boards.

Anyhow, the ole Sacramento looked like this:

But there was another barge at about the same time (yep, for a while there were two out there). And I'm thinking that this single deck barge was there BEFORE the Sacramento. If my memory serves, it was painted an orangish color??? But I cannot remember the name....anyone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I remember the Isle of Redondo as the one I fished off of in the early 1980's, but I can't remember what the barge was called in the mid 1970's. Anyone have an idea? I remember that it was different name.Hopefully Im not thinking of the one in Long Beach. I was young then and just happy to have my older brother take me out fishing so I don't remember the names so good.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I remember fishing the Barges out of Seal Beach,Belmont & Huntington Piers in the 70's,but I don't recall if they all went to the same ones......too long ago.
Great times though.....huge Bonito,YT occasionally & even Threshers.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
There was a barge Varga, that would go back and forth from Huntington to Santa Monica in the early 70's. I used to fish it all night out of Santa Monica for mackeral and all kinds of stuff you don't hear of anymore, like one nite i caught a hake, and caught a couple of small salmon grouper. It was anchored on the star of Scotland wreck.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I fished the Isle of Redondo a few times.
They would bring it in to the RB Harbor in the winter if I recall.

Sacramento
Other Names: None Date of Sinking: 1968
Rig/Type: San Francisco Bay Ferry/Fishing Barge Cause of Sinking: Foundered
Length: 268' Breadth: 42' Tons: 2,200 Cargo: None
Built: 1877/1923 Location: Two miles off Redondo Beach
Hull Construction: Wood Depth: 180+ Visibility: Unknown

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/sacramento.htm

Georgia
Other Names: Mistakenly identified as the Retriever Date of Sinking: February 22, 1966
Rig/Type: Fishing barge Cause of Sinking: Intentional (disposal)
Length: Breadth: Tons: 96 Cargo: None
Built: 1902 Tacoma, Washington Location: South Redondo Beach
Hull Construction: Wood Depth: 135' Visibility: 15-30'

This wreck was discovered in 1984 by a group of divers out of King Harbor and tentatively identified as the former fishing barge Retreiver.

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Geo&Retri.htm

This next one has nice und pics at the below link.

2007-07-01 Redondo Artificial Reef Barge
Scott and Margaret Webb took Jim Lyle and I out for two dives on the barge on the Redondo Beach artiificial reef. This reef consist of scattered piles of rubble, only a mile or so outside of King Harbor, on the north side of the Redondo Submarine Canyon. Always cold because of the proximity of the canyon, there was a midwater layer of poor vis that made the bottom dark, but vis on the bottom was quite good, 30 or 40 feet.

The barge was added to the reef in 1974 and in the last several years, currents and surge have opened up a lot of holes in the hull.

http://www.rogercarlsonphotography.com/gallery2/v/2007SoCal/20070701_redondo_barge/

This postcard in on ebay, I've been collecting S Bay postcards
PV, Redondo for a few years. I have this one and about 50 others.
I usually pay $1 to $8 each. The hardest one to get is of the
Redondo Beach Club ( Burnout ) It burned down in the 50's.
I am into S Bay memorabilia. Have a couple small 1800's 1900's
medicine bottles from RB Drug stores.

Great Post, DR

Attachments

·
Banned
11,202 Posts
This picture is wrong....

In the written text accompany the picture, it states the barge C-Coaster is in the background. That barge is the Californian. I know that for a fact. The C-Coaster was not all one level (deck), but had a raised foredeck (bow) that you use to have to walk up stairs to fish there. I recall very vividly, having saved my allowances to buy a giant sized super-duper lure, not like the little ones used on trout, this one was BIG. I remember tying it on my fishing pole, and heading up those stairs. I stood right at the bow, on an old cleat, to give more height, with the bow mast to my left, and the salt breeze blowing into my face as well as my cast.....
I launched it for all I was worth. I let it sink a bit, then started my retrieve. I saw it coming up from the depth and back toward me when POW..... a big old bone sideswiped it without even slowing!

It tore me up as I was too short to fight the fish over the height of that railing. My rod was bouncing off the railing, and pulling me back toward those stairs. No way could I go down those stairs with a fish on, so it broke off :(

Man....that was weeks of saved allowances, and I only got one cast with it......damn.
Right now I'm thankful OT lives in Iowa or I'd take it out on him, just remembering now causes me a great disappoint 8*

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
rubble said:
I remember fishing the Barges out of Seal Beach,Belmont & Huntington Piers in the 70's,but I don't recall if they all went to the same ones......too long ago.
I fished off the Seal Beach Barge many times as a kid. The bonito fishing was second to none! As a matter of fact, I have fond memories of fishing the Seal Beach Jetty during wide open bonito bites in the winter.

Where have those fish gone? Did we overfish?

Good times for sure!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Dalton Boys said:
rubble said:
I fished off the Seal Beach Barge many times as a kid. The bonito fishing was second to none! As a matter of fact, I have fond memories of fishing the Seal Beach Jetty during wide open bonito bites in the winter. ]I fished off the Seal Beach Barge many times as a kid. The bonito fishing was second to none! As a matter of fact, I have fond memories of fishing the Seal Beach Jetty during wide open bonito bites in the winter.

Where have those fish gone? Did we overfish?

Good times for sure![quote]

Hey Jeff,did you ever use those Homemade splashers at the Jetty we use to make out of a piece of broomstick...??? We painted one half Red & tied it about 18in ahead of a Bonito feather.Caught so many that after awhile we just used 4-6lb# on Mitchell 300's and a light stick.

WOW,the Memories that come back,Main St. in the 60's/70s...........We need to talk....;)
Leaving on Vacation Tomorrow,be back in a week....Later

1 - 20 of 44 Posts