Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
rubble said:
Dalton Boys said:
rubble said:
I remember fishing the Barges out of Seal Beach,Belmont & Huntington Piers in the 70's,but I don't recall if they all went to the same ones......too long ago.
Great times though.....huge Bonito,YT occasionally & even Threshers.
I fished off the Seal Beach Barge many times as a kid. The bonito fishing was second to none! As a matter of fact, I have fond memories of fishing the Seal Beach Jetty during wide open bonito bites in the winter. ]I fished off the Seal Beach Barge many times as a kid. The bonito fishing was second to none! As a matter of fact, I have fond memories of fishing the Seal Beach Jetty during wide open bonito bites in the winter.

Where have those fish gone? Did we overfish?

Good times for sure![quote]

Hey Jeff,did you ever use those Homemade splashers at the Jetty we use to make out of a piece of broomstick...??? We painted one half Red & tied it about 18in ahead of a Bonito feather.Caught so many that after awhile we just used 4-6lb# on Mitchell 300's and a light stick.

WOW,the Memories that come back,Main St. in the 60's/70s...........We need to talk....;)
Leaving on Vacation Tomorrow,be back in a week....Later
Robert, I mainly fished with frozen anchovies. My friends and I would ride our bikes down to the jetty and fish for hours. I fished on the barge many times as well.

Some of my fondest fishing memories consist of catching those bonito. As a matter of fact, I'm hoping to go to the island this weekend to fish the frontside bonito. My son's Nick and Matthew love catching the micro tuna and they are anxious to use some new lures they got for Christmas.

Wish us luck!

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
My first "at sea" fishing experiences were on the Star of Malibu barge in the 1950's. Went there several times before getting to ride one of the day boats. . . .the Gee Bee. Just about everything that happened on those trips are still burnt in my memory.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Been there, done that.

I understand your pain. Because we were rather poor, when I didn't use live bait, I used mostly those silver colored jigs with feathers on them. (I won't mention the name we called them, but back in the day, that's what everyone said.) With the right action, you could catch fish pretty well.

But the "real" fishermen (the OLDER guys who were maybe 20-25) used metal jigs. You know, iron. So I saved and saved, and I spent my money on two lures called a "Candy Bar" and a "Spoofer". (I'm pretty sure that's the right name, but it has been almost 5 decades.) On my next trip out to the barge, I ended up on the California, and waited for the bones to start. About 8am here they come. So I fling the Spoofer out, start reeling, and BAM! Fish on. It's not real crowded (I'm thinking it was a weekday), and the fish (as bones do) is moving sideways. I'm going around all that crap they had along the rail, handing the rod around to myself, etc. Then I get to something too big to go around (I can't remember now). So I stop, and try to fight the sucker from there. He keeps going along the side, catches a couple of lines, ducks under the back end of the boat, and breaks me off. Now I've lost the lure, I've caused two other OLD guys to get pissed cause they are tangled, and I don't get the fish. (That pass of fish averaged around 5-6 pounds, which was very nice size. I didn't get a one. The more common size was 2-3 pounds.) Memory is tough, but I'm thinking I was 12 years old, so I'm bummed. This experience with expensive iron kept me from fishing it for several years. The candy bar sat in my tackle box for about 4 years. Those ___ feather jigs worked fine for me, they cost $.39, and of course, the bait of those years....anchovies, always worked pretty well. I walked as far away as I could from those two guys, and quietly fished with bait.LOL

Having to fish on the barge with all it's obstacles actually provided some good skills for fishing for larger fish on a LR boat...especially an anchored one. Never thought of that before.

You remember those net/metal rings with ropes on 'em they had to help you get up bigger fish? You'd drop it down under the fish and then lift it up? You pretty much had to have a buddy help you, cause if you were a kid, the decks ignored ya (you weren't gonna tip).
I think they had maybe 4 of those per barge. On a Saturday when big bones were running, with the occasional YT mixed in, there might 10 people all screaming for those nets. As a kid, we never seemed to get one....and would lose our fish trying to hold it next to the barge. So we made a "gaff" of our own. We got a big (I mean huge) treble hook and we used a split ring to connect it to the bottom of a 8 oz torpedo sinker. We then tired a light rope to the top of the torpedo sinker. When we had a fish at the side that was too big to haul up, we'd drop the torpedo sinker below him, pull up quickly, and snag him. Then we could pull him up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I got my first "boat rod" in 1975 at the "Stockade" in Stanton for my eighth birthday. I still have it, 5FT, 10 ceramic guides, cork grips, and stainless reel seat. I remember asking the salesman if it could handle a 50lb fish. I wanted the Jigmaster but my Dad suggested the new Diawa spinner, it was a compromise but I was more than happy.

My grandfather lived on Pt. Dume and we would fish the half day boats out of Malibu and Paradise Cove. I would pin on a squirt and hold on, as I was warned that a 50lb WSB could pull me over at any moment :) . I remember my grandfather catching a 20+lb halibut and I was thrilled that he had won the JP! I was shocked when he returned the money to the crew and thanked them, he later told me that they work very hard for the little money they earn and I have yet to keep JP money since.

At 9 years old, I had soaked enough salted anchovies and caught a lifetimes worth of tomcod from the HB pier. Live bait and the barge was the next level. My mother would drop me off at the Seal Beach pier and I would carry my big Plano box and fishing rod down to the end (I might have stopped a few times due to the amount of lead in it) and fish the 1/2day (GW ?) or the barge.

I?m so glad to have these memories, I can hardly wait to buy Nicholas his first rod.

Tight lines,
Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
i'm only 43 but i remeber the barge out in redondo quite a few days also i remember fishig off the peir at belmont and being able to catch a yellow tail or two most days . or deckhanding on the queen of the sea and being 13 and everynite in the summer spending our money at the pike . fun days .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yep, I remember fishing on the barge "Sacramento" out of Redondo, Don't remember catching many fish on that barge. My best memories are when I worked as a deck hand on the barge "Bounty" out of Belmont Shore in the late 1940s. She was a three or four masted ship that was built in 1933 for the movie Mutiny On The Bounty with Clark Gable. The masts were cut down to just a few feet above the deck, with a huge live bait tank amidships, Cook would catch a Halibut each day and cook it for supper for the crew, he slathered it with 1890 French Dressing, tasted great, I still use french dressing on my fish. The other barge out of Belmont Shore at the same time was the fox barge, I caught the largest Halibut I have ever caught off the Fox barge, to wit 37" long and weighed 48 lbs or was it 48' long and weighed 37 lbs??? My 75 year old memory fails me. On the barge I made Calcutta cane fishing poles which I sold to the fishermen for $15.00 each. I had a stock of about 10 cane poles built and stored below when a big bad storm hit the coast and the Bounty drug her anchors and smashed into the breakwater and sunk. Down under went my job and my Calcutta fishing pole business. Sure wish I had taken pictures of the barges and the taxies that served them. Ray Ray, Tennessee, 2180DLX Carolina Skiff 90HP Honda

This post edited by Ray Ray 01/24/2008

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ray Ray said:
Sure wish I had taken pictures of the barges and the taxies that served them.

Ray Ray, Tennessee
Get some postcards on ebay.

The 'Voyager' is still running in Redondo, whale watching.
The 'City of Redondo' is still running daily too.
I think it was built in the 20's.
The City was my favorite due to the fact I had a friend that was a deckhand and could dead head sometimes. Nice boat due to the
wide beam and is real low to the water.
DR

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
re: Been there, done that.

[quote=Oldtimer said:
I understand your pain. Because we were rather poor, when I didn't use live bait, I used mostly those silver colored jigs with feathers on them.
When the Bones were thick at S.B.Jetty or Kings Harbor(behind the Blue Moon Saloon)a piece of Foil on a Hook or simply a Chrome hook was all that was needed..... By the way,when Pier fishing I used such items as old Spark Plugs & Pennies with a hole in them for weights..... Used those Many times to get keeper Halibuts,YT,etc. up on the S.B.,Hungington & Belmont Piers as well as the Barges....

This post edited by rubble 01/25/2008

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

We only fished it when we had money. Which was never. I can remember the smells! 40 years later and thinking about driving under the King harbor Arch brings a smile to my face. Frozen anchovies, I never saw a live one til I was in my 20s. Live bait was anchovies when you could afford them or if you went albie fishing in SD. Great memories.

Anyone else ever spend the night on the Manhattan Beach Pier?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Serenity Now said:
Anyone else ever spend the night on the Manhattan Beach Pier?
No,but spent many a night on S.B.,H.B.,Redondo&Belmont,both of which actually had electric plugs on the lightpoles that we used for our amp-sucking electric heaters in the Winter.......;)

I used to fish the discharge pipe under the Restaruants at the Old Pierpoint Landing......talk about [email protected](....

·
Banned
358 Posts

CaptButch said:
Did any fish the Hermosa Pier when the Bonita would run? and Frank will sell the hot jig the Dimond Jig?
Hey Butch, I fished Hermosa Pier in the late 70's & early 80's. Frank was a classic...............he would get on his PA, and say "get your hot jig, the diamond jig at........................the bait shop!" Attached is a pic of me & a 30lb butt taken off the end of the pier in 77? or 78? 8)

This post edited by Xlobsterman 01/27/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

rubble said:
When the Bones were thick at S.B.Jetty or Kings Harbor(behind the Blue Moon Saloon)...
The Blue Moon Saloon is now 'Samba'
I posted on the surf fishing board that spot in code.
I called it 'Punta de Brazil'.

Other made up names were;

Casa de Mapas
The Cemetary

People asked 'where is Casa de Mapas' 'The Cemetary'
You guys will never figure out 'The Cemetary'

But 'Casa de Mapas' is a easy one!

Any thinkers care to guess :?

DR

·
Registered
12 Posts

Xlobsterman said:
CaptButch said:
Did any fish the Hermosa Pier when the Bonita would run?
and Frank will sell the hot jig the Dimond Jig?
Hey Butch,
I fished Hermosa Pier in the late 70's & early 80's. Frank was a classic...............he would get on his PA, and say "get your hot jig, the diamond jig at........................the bait shop!"
Well I worked the Burger Stand at the pier and hauled bait from the New Sun Beam and stayed with fishing now I work as a 2nd on varoius sportboats from San Deigo to Long Beach it all started with Frank at the Hermosa pier...frist boat I got paid was the City of Imperial Beach in Redondo

·
Registered
180 Posts

doubledip said:
Anybody rember a guy named Clyde on the redondo bait barge? He lived on a boat there called "chug a lug" the name fit him well.Nice guy
I worked with Clyde for a few years,quite the character.
I could tell you some stories.
Clyde is retired and lives in laughlin.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I use to paddle my FOLBOT out there to the barge at 4:30 AM back in the late 1980's. We would catch mackerel and then after the first morning crew arrived start catching yellowtail on the mackerel. It bugged the old timers no end to see a couple of guys in what was the equivalent of a kayak catching yellowtail in front of their eyes. I learned light line fishing in King Harbor for bonito. Those were the days that made a young man a fisherman.
drgary

21 - 40 of 44 Posts