Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Perspective is so interesting.

Old times depends totally on one's perspective. To me those who talk about the 70's as being old times are newbies.

Being born and raised in Pedro and taking my first fishing trips with my Dad when I was 7 well before WW II began and doing my pinhead chores on the Sunshine II and the Sportsfisher, those were the old times.

Working commercial albacore trolling when we had to wait for the submarine nets to let us in and out of the harbor, those were the old days.

I am willing to fudge a bit and allow those who reflect on the fishing scene after the war in the late 40s and 50's as the old times in Pedro, Long Beach, and the Bay Area -- but really anything later than that is the modern era.

But then again, it is all perspective.

·
Registered
19 Posts
re: Been there, done that.

I'm not sure if iv ever fished the barge ,But used to fish the area on my Dads boat in approx 1970- 75 , we would launch out of Marina Del Ray & usually you could catch Bonita before out of break wall ,,,Then few yrs later it got slower on the Bonita sometimes you would have to troll 15 minutes to catch one - LoL !!! Anyone remember the boat lift at Redondo ? & yes there were huge Bonita off Redondo < I got one that was 13 lbs I i still remember that it circled the boat many times before i landed it ,Also remember them flopping on deck almost back over the side !!! Cool memories !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fished the Redondo barge and the L.A. harbor barge back in the day.Those definitely were the days
Yeah, as a kid we would fish king harbor all the time . This would have been in the early eighties. I remember paddling out to the bait barge with my childhood friends on their plastic Coleman crawdad. We had built our own wooden bait sled that could hold a half scoop of anchovies for $10. We would catch bonito all day and when we had caught enough boneheads, we would paddle back and sell them for a buck each on the pier so we could buy another half scoop of anchovies and fish some more. We learned to fish with light line and size 4 or 6 bait hooks using pinhead anchovies. I think back about those summer days so long ago quite often. Those days were a huge part of my childhood and helped shape us to become the fishermen we are today.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts