Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
If I have one, and it's easy to install (not Daiwa's POS joke of a clamp on the Saltists), I'll install it. But IMO, it is not b=necessary at all.
I landed a 260 with no clamp on at all.If you examine a lot of boat loaner heavy gear, they don't have them.
And I've seen more damage to Fuji reel seats from heavy handed clamp installation.
Only necessary on my rods with no reel seat, but that's JMEO.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I only use them if I don't have a reel seat, besides that I have taken them off all my reels including my kite rig.

I think it really makes a difference when holding the rod and casting big gear (30's and 50's) I feel more in control without my fingers having to reach up and over the bulky clamp.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use them on all my reels. I just don't trust the reel sets alone because of heavy side to side pressure on a big fish. They are a bit bulky on some but i want a secure seat. The only rod i don't use them are with my rod with the Aftco Unibut. I love my Penns because those are what i was weened on. I can cast the heck of of them. Does anyone know if there are replacement clamps in newer style reel seats for the older Penns. The wing nut style seats that are hard on the fingers. I am an old fogy and i am a Penn only except my smaller Daiwa's and one 20# spinner. I can cast the heck out of them and I've never had a failer. Thanks

This post edited by boeing461 06/21/2008

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have removed my clamp hardware on my reels(Accurates from the 197 to the 665)..Clamps just get in the way and serve no real purpose IMHO. Fuji graphite seats will last a life time unless you use a clamp then they can be crushed and cracked like a walnut shell. Aluminum seats hold up alot better under the pressure of a clamp.

On the heavy gear clamps may have a place.

If you have a cork taped rod then of course you would need a clamp...But you need to be carefull not to crush the blank!

·
Registered
794 Posts
fixedpower said:
At what line test do you think it is needed to have reel clamps? I have newer rods with Fuji seats.
I use reel clamps on most trips 3/4 to 11-days long. On the longer trips just them as a back up. On the shorter trips because at the end of one I found a guy "taking down" my rod/reel. If he had not had to take the time to get the reel clamp off the reel would have been gone..... Does not protect the reels from someone who really wants to take your stuff but it kept my 270 in my reel case that time!

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
mefishinxs said:
I have removed my clamp hardware on my reels(Accurates from the 197 to the 665)..Clamps just get in the way and serve no real purpose IMHO. Fuji graphite seats will last a life time unless you use a clamp then they can be crushed and cracked like a walnut shell. Aluminum seats hold up alot better under the pressure of a clamp.
You've never had days of diesel engines thrumming along vibrate the reel seat loose and drop a reel on the deck at night, have you? And in all my years I have never even come close to crushing a reel seat with the reel clamp. You're not supposed to put them on "stupid tight".
mefishinxs said:
On the heavy gear clamps may have a place.
On the heavy gear they DEFINITELY have a place!
mefishinxs said:
If you have a cork taped rod then of course you would need a clamp...But you need to be carefull not to crush the blank!
Remember that "stupid tight" thing I spoke of? ;) FISH HARD!

This post edited by Baja Dreamer 06/17/2008

·
Registered
172 Posts
Overflow10,
You can buy an electric scriber that works on metal and plastic. I use it to put my D.L. on anything that can grow legs. I get the thin magic marker and put my name on the rods with a lil epoxy over the top. Mark all your electronics including your car radio.
The scum bags will often pass on this stuff because it's hard to sell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.