Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
RE: Any of ya remember this baby?

I spent many a night on the old Sacramento barge back in about 66 to 69. I can remember sleeping on the generator cover to stay warm. No shore boats between midnight and 6AM. Great memories.
Photo Ho

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Geez, I wonder if we ever were on at the same time.

I used to love the deal where you paid $3 for Saturday fishing, and if you wanted to stay overnight, you could stay for $2. (Whereas if you paid on land, you had to pay $3 for overnight.)

One year, I'm thinking '64, there was this massive late summer/fall run of sable fish. They didn't bite during the day hardly at all, but if you stayed overnight, you could slay 'em. If you dropped down 3 hooks with chovies to the bottom with a 4 oz sinker, you could pull up three fish almost every time. Most of 'em were only 1-2 lbs, but every once in a while you'd get one that went maybe 4-5 lb. Man, those were good eating. Now they sell it as "black cod" but every since that summer, I've loved the taste of sablefish.

After my buddies and I caught enough sables to eat, we'd try to catch the blue sharks (not to eat, for fun, C&R) that seemed to hang out around the barge. Cut a mack in half, put it on a 8/0 hook with a steel leader, change the spool of the Jigmaster to heavy line (40!!! pound test!) and go for it. When the balloon went down, boy that was exciting.

And that early morning bite, before the first taxi boat got there, was really good for bones.

Yep, for the money, it was a great fishing opportunity. And in those days, a parent could let a kid do it without worrying a bunch. There were always grand parently types that seemed to look after ya. And scold ya if you started screwing around.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In 1952, I took the girl I was to later marry fishing on the Sportsfisher on one of our fist dates. It worked out very well. She caught a 35 lb WSB at Catalina Island that day.

We still take an 8 day together almost every year and have celebrated 53 years of marriage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
>Thanks for the background on the Olympic. I have had many a
>fine day of calico bass fishing on the Wreck of the Olympic
>over the last 10 years. Sorry to know that 8 people lost
>their lives when she went down.

Diamond Jim
Do you have the numbers of location of the Olympic? I would like to stop over it just to say hello. Sounds corny but I think it would be nice, D-J

·
Registered
239 Posts
Diamond Jim Talking about the Pike. As I said I walked a beat on it for three years, before I went on Vice.This was when the Nave had three or more big Warships there just about all the time.
It has been so long ago that I was down there, We went to the FHS and I was lost. I could not Imagen so much of changes, I did talk to a LB Cop and we had a good laugh about all the stuff I told him. His remarks was God I would of loved to have been on in those days. I agreed with him, I would not like to be a Police Officer in this day and time. They earn every bet of there pay and put up with a lot of $hi#.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Really great stories, guys. Keep posting 'em, as you remember 'em.

Old Hand or others, how close did the tunas come in back then? I have a memory of being on the Newport or Balboa pier in the 60s when big tuna-type fish began going airborn after a school of bait. Somebody yelled that they were albacore and I remember guys running to a tackle shack on the pier to buy Spoofer jigs. No one landed one, but it was memorable seeing them cutting up the school. In retrospect, they were probably bonito but at my age, I didn't know the difference.

Man, the LA Basin must have been incredibly beautiful in the 30s and 40s.....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The full story of the Olymic II can be found at:

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/Olympic.htm

The story does not include the coordinates of the wreck.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Spent my early fishing years on Belmont Pier during the late '50s/early '60s. During that time Jack and June Ascolisi ran the bait stand on the pier and Riley Compton ran Belmont Bait and Tackle at the foot of the Pier with "Curley" doing tackle repair and custom rod wrapping. Did a lot of deadheading on the Queen of the Sea (Billy Wantz Captain), the Hurricane (Bob Hodgen Captain), and the Paradise & Islander Barge (Gary Billington, Chief Deckhand). Ted Schuber used to work the live bait tank on the pier, and if you "faked him a ticket", he would give his buddies a bucketload for free. The girls on the beach used to always parade by the bait tank to see Ted and his famed "unibrow", so there was never a shortage of girls on the pier back in the day. My best trip ever was a 3/4 day run out of Pacific Landing on the Fisherman II back around 1960 where we ran into a school of Albacore not even half way to Catalina in the channel. As I remember, the skipper was ****** Ashley at that time. He spotted the fish under a group of Seagulls, so we didn't have to troll at all. The fish count was 150 Albacore for the 15 passengers, which was limits for all. We actually ended up getting back to the dock several hours early since we were limited out.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Cool stories. I love hearing stories from the past and before my time. Here is a clip from the 1989 L.A. Times that is pretty cool. A Boy With a Fishing Pole Discovered His Life's Dream 60 Years Ago

I started fishing as a kid back in the late 70's and had blast catching bonito, bass, and cudas on the local boats from Seal Beach Pier to Pedro. The bass counts were huge back then. The common bait from the bait receivers back then were anchovies, with a mix of spanish jacks, brown bait, and pompanos. Sardines were not abundant back then.

I fondly remember being able to save up enough money to fish the overnight boats to Catalina and catch a yellowtail or black seabass (legally back then). I also used to go on rock cod trips to the Cherry Bank and we would use Penn 6/0 or 8/0 reels spooled with dacron and using 10 hook ganions and catch huge reds, salmon groupers, and cow cods with an assortment of some other deep water bottom dwellers that you don't see any more. We would fish 900 feet deep in some areas. Cranking those reels with a 5 pound weight from those depths with the really low speed reels were a work out. LOL!! Those are some great memories.

Attached is one of the boats that used to run out of Seal Beach Pier.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I used to fish the Queen of the Sea half-day with my dad when I was a kid. Back then I think the 3/4 day was the "Big Mac"

Also fished the other landings occasionally. Fished the Victory the year is was new.

Remember the tram on Belmont pier for a dime? My dad would pay to let us ride, or give us a dime and we could walk. We always walked and he took the gear on the tram.

Remember the kiddie-rides at Pierpont?

I pretty much quit fishing in the mid '70s when I got mixed up with the wrong crowd..

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Was this later renamed "City of Seal Beach" in the '80s?

Yes you are correct. The other boat they had back then was another old boat named the "G.W." AKA Great Western. That was their designated 3/4 day boat.

One landing I did not fish back then was Art's Landing in Newport. Growing up in Long Beach at the time, Art's just seemed too long of a drive to get on a 1/2 day or 3/4 day boat from that landing. Queen's Wharf, 22nd Street Landing, and Belmont Pier were my other go to landings back then. As I got a little older my buddies and I would drive to San Diego in the early 80's and fished the Coronados on the older overnight boats.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Yes you are correct. The other boat they had back then was another old boat named the "G.W." AKA Great Western. That was their designated 3/4 day boat.

One landing I did not fish back then was Art's Landing in Newport. Growing up in Long Beach at the time, Art's just seemed too long of a drive to get on a 1/2 day or 3/4 day boat from that landing. Queen's Wharf, 22nd Street Landing, and Belmont Pier were my other go to landings back then. As I got a little older my buddies and I would drive to San Diego in the early 80's and fished the Coronados on the older overnight boats.
I remember the GW (Garbage Wagon) being out of out of Belmont. Remember the short skipper (Bears fan) with the beard? That thing was a sand-bass magnet. I understood it was originally sister to the Matt Walsh and was originally George Walsh.

I used to be able to make the twilight on the city of seal pretty regular. I think it had a black skipper (John?) running the twilight...

I never fished Art's either. When I was a kid it was always Belmont or Seal. Didn't Huntington have boats back then with the hairy-ass boarding process?

Remember the old Belmont pier?

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I remember the GW (Garbage Wagon) being out of out of Belmont. Remember the short skipper (Bears fan) with the beard? That thing was a sand-bass magnet. I understood it was originally sister to the Matt Walsh and was originally George Walsh.

I used to be able to make the twilight on the city of seal pretty regular. I think it had a black skipper (John?) running the twilight...

I never fished Art's either. When I was a kid it was always Belmont or Seal. Didn't Huntington have boats back then with the hairy-ass boarding process?

Remember the old Belmont pier?

That's funny, yes the GW was a sand bass magnet. The black skipper (John) running the City of Seal sounds a little familiar. He was kind of a large dude with large arms if I remember that correctly.

Huntington Beach Pier never ran boats from there that I remember. It was the Seal Beach pier that could be treacherous trying to step onto the boats from the lower gang way when there was a swell. Sometimes you would have to toss your tackle box and rods to the deck hands on the boat and then time your self to jump on. LOL!

I don't remember the old Belmont pier, I only remember the current one and the tram they used to have back in the old days. I think you may be a little older than me. I did quite of few Sand Bass trips at the Huntington Flats back in the early 80's. We would use lime green, red metal flake, root beer, and pink plastics like scampi and scroungers tipped with squid and catch 15- 20 large sandies per day not to mention the sack fulls of cudas throwing the flat Tady chrome and blue offset diamond shape iron. Remember the large sand bass counts back then?

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
That's funny, yes the GW was a sand bass magnet. The black skipper (John) running the City of Seal sounds a little familiar. He was kind of a large dude with large arms if I remember that correctly.

Huntington Beach Pier never ran boats from there that I remember. It was the Seal Beach pier that could be treacherous trying to step onto the boats from the lower gang way when there was a swell. Sometimes you would have to toss your tackle box and rods to the deck hands on the boat and then time your self to jump on. LOL!

I don't remember the old Belmont pier, I only remember the current one and the tram they used to have back in the old days. I think you may be a little older than me. I did quite of few Sand Bass trips at the Huntington Flats back in the early 80's. We would use lime green, red metal flake, root beer, and pink plastics like scampi and scroungers tipped with squid and catch 15- 20 large sandies per day not to mention the sack fulls of cudas throwing the flat Tady chrome and blue offset diamond shape iron. Remember the large sand bass counts back then?
ON THE MOJO!!!! MOJOBASS!

I killed a lot of sandies with a lime-green mojo.....they were the bullet-head with the split tails. Root-bear and motor-oil were good as well, but that lime-green was the shit! I would sell the scoots to the Asians on the pier and would often cover my trips. I'd head & gut the bass on the pier and they'd buy those too.

When the sandies were spawing, that old GW would chug out there, stop, drop and start killing. It was like the fish were waiting for it.

I barely remember the old pier at Belmont, and do not remember being on it. I just remember seeing it from the new pier before they tore it down.

I'm 63

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
ON THE MOJO!!!! MOJOBASS!

I killed a lot of sandies with a lime-green mojo.....they were the bullet-head with the split tails. Root-bear and motor-oil were good as well, but that lime-green was the shit! I would sell the scoots to the Asians on the pier and would often cover my trips. I'd head & gut the bass on the pier and they'd buy those too.

When the sandies were spawing, that old GW would chug out there, stop, drop and start killing. It was like the fish were waiting for it.

I barely remember the old pier at Belmont, and do not remember being on it. I just remember seeing it from the new pier before they tore it down.

I'm 63

Those are some great memories and some really fun days. What's really funny is I pretty much did the same thing as you when disembarking with a gunny sack full of sandies and cudas. I could sell most all of them to the bucket brigade on the pier before I reached the end and make almost half my money back that I spent on the trip. I really didn't want to have to deal with those slime stick cudas and stinky sand bass. LOL!

I'm in my mid/late 50's.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts