Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been ten years since dad passed away and this Fathers Day my heart will be heavy as I remember how he introduced me to this wonderful sport we all love. My fondest memory takes me back to 1962; I was six years old, living in Isla Vista. Dad came home from work one day with two long pieces of bamboo. When I asked him what they were for he laughed and said we were going surf fishing! We went into the garage where dad pulled out a bag full of hose clamps, black electrical tape and guides (we didn't have a lot of money back then).We proceded to tape the guides onto the bamboo poles, attatch the reels to the poles with hose clamps, grabbed a handful of hooks, sinkers and a bag of frozen salted anchovies and headed to the beach. Dad taught me to cast in the surf and how to feel the bites. We caught olive rock fish and ronkies up until dark. Being too tired and sleepy to walk the mile back down the beach, dad put me on his shoulders, grabbed the rods in one hand, bucket in the other and hauled us home. So, this Fathers Day, give your dad a hug or a phone call if he's still with us and tell him how much you love him for being the great father he is. I miss you dad..... Your Son

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Wow! That kind of hit a spot with me. This year will be 30 years since my father passed away. I just turned 12 and my dad took me fishing for the first time after I had been asking him to take me for quite sometime. I was so stoked to have caught my first fish (Opaleye) on his old Roddy. I thought I caught a whale and talked about the fish all the way home in the car with dad that day. 2 months later my father passed away from a heart attack. I was never able to enjoy fishing with him again. I still think about that day he took me fishing for my first time everytime I'm out on the water and it always bring me a smile to remember that. I think I will go to the cemetary this Sunday and clean up his gravestone and put some nice flowers around it in rememberance of him.

This post edited by Pelagic Hunter 06/12/2008

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
My Dad passed away almost 6 years ago...I miss him everyday he was my best friend and gave me unconditional love...if your Father is still alive spend as much time as you can with him, don't be too busy don't put it of spending time with him...if you have had difficulties with him...kiss and make up....Happy Father's Day!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
My father passed away 2 years ago from cancer. He was not into fishing at all, but he knew that I was. I was approx. 12 years old living on the central coast, I believe it was the end of July. He had bought me a fishing pole (not sure of the make) with a Dawia spinning reel on it, a spool of 25lb mono and 3 four oz. diamond jigs. All of which was gonna be my birthday gift. However he had heard that the macs were in thick so one he decided to give my gift 1 month early.
I was so happy I jumped on bike and headed for the local pier. That day was a warm one in low 80s' and the wind was blowing about 15 knots water was real choppy. Because of the wind there were only 4 people on the pier that day. So got out on the end tied one on and started jigging every other cast was mac on, that was fun, after being there for about 30min or so I casted out jig reel jig reel jig (whamo) the rod almost flew out my hands, and started peeling line, there was this older lady there and said son you have hooked a seal nope after about 5min of playing tug a war it came up on the suface it was a thresher and he was extremely pissed off, with all the macs in water he slapped that jig with his tail needles to say but my blood was pumping now. 25 to 30 min later I got it to the surface down by the pilings, well it just so happened that the older lady had a rope gaff with her so she lowered it down took a couple of times but managed to get him. Because of the height of the pier we could not hoist him up so we walked in to the surf and placed my rod against the rail (with the bail open) and hauled ass down there, clothes and all walked into the surf almost waist deep and she threw the rope down at that point I was able to drag him on to the beach. He was approx 6' including tail.
I will never forget my dad's face when he came to pick me after the phone call. Thanks dad, I will see you on the other side.

FREEZER

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
dad got me started on the Speed Twin when I was seven. Now, I write about fishing, work on fishing boats, and go fishing every day I can. I'm taking him out on the Aloha Spirit tomorrow. Hopefully the Sea-Bass turn on and we can get him his first.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My dad passed away 30 years ago and I have missed him especially of late, for some reason. You never get over the loss of your parents but there are indeed times that you miss them more than others. As I have gotten older, I miss being able to talk to him about this very subject, getting older. Young folks today don't appreciate that older folks are smarter simply through experience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones right now. My dad is 75 and I can remeber that very first day he took me fishing and we have been sharing trips for the last 40 years and they only seem to get better. His most recent trip was a 7 day with me on the Indy where for the first coupla days he watched as others caught fish and a lot of PB yellwtails came over the rail. By the fifth day he was lurking 1/2 way up the rail slinging iron and with a slow grind managed 12 fish in a row to 32lbs. I can honestly say he wore a **** eatin grin for weeks after that trip. He is my hero and we have 2 more 5 day trips and another 8 day scheduled for later this year. God bless all those who have lost there fathers and for those that have not, enjoy every moment you have with them, memories are priceless!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.