Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i just aquired a couple of bait'o matics and ballyhood thresher shark lures. the rigging is stock and seems to be in good condition. i know a lot of people throw away the stock rigging and make their own as they are more heavy duty. my question is should i do the same? i am using fairly light tackle (penn 6/0's with 60 and 80 test.) is it nessessary to re-rig since i am not using 2-speeds and heavy line.

thanks,
monty

·
Registered
73 Posts
You should re-rig the bom at least. I have never lost a fish due to failure but have landed a few with the hooks almost straight. I do know some guys who have lost fish to them. You can rig them the same way just using heavier hooks. I have a couple of ballyhoods and if I rememeber right they were ok. By the way 80lb is the a good line class for threshers but it is considered heavy tackle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only change that I made was to go with forged hooks. Of course as luck would have it, I purchased the pyro colored BoM the day before we went Thresher fishing and did not get a chance to re-config the lure. Of course that was the lure that got wacked. We fought the TS for 2.5 hours on 80lb and 20+ lbs of drag. When we landed him the hook looked fine, did not seem to straighten out at all. Dumb luck ? Anyway the TS went 296lbs.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.