Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, what is the deal with the use of ringed hooks these days. I understand the bait swims more freely and the knot is probably more secure, but the shiny silver ring has to make them less stealthy and a little heavier. What is your guys opinion, do you think ringed hooks helps out with your hook up ratio and landing ability? Or is it just one more way for us tackle who's to spend our money.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
I really think it's more of a confidence boosting thing: if you think you're going to get bit, you do. All's I can say is that in a picky bite, I felt I got more fish with ringed (not circle) hooks and fluro than without.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I will second Boswell's comments. On my 5 day trip last last year, I was having trouble catching anything, I switched to ringed hooks and started catching fish. By the way, Charkbait is running a weekly special on Owner ringed hooks. Special ends tonight.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yo RF, Speaking only for me, I use ringed hooks for everything until the bite goes wide open. Not only does the bait swim more freely but the ring moves the knot/crimp just a bit further away from anything that might rub against the fish. Once on the fish the connection will almost always be direct from the hook to the tip of your rod. Some folks might like a knot that is open or is open at first and then slides down but for me the rings are a must. I get mine from Guy and Annette at Ringedhooks.com. You can call Guy and get all the information you want on any hook on the market right over the phone or by Email. You can also discuss the size of the rings for your given application. I use slightly heavier rings on my big fish hooks and love them. In the old days the ringed hooks were my secret weapons as I could ring my own hooks. With Ringedhooks.com I would not even think of doing them myself anymore. Now many folks use and love them. Good luck with your decision Jamie

This post edited by fishordie 06/14/2008

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The ring hook allows the line trailing the bait to be straight. I believe when mono bends or curls it is more visable to fish along with pulling the bait to the side it is bending from. A ring hook or a loop knot has been proven by many good fishermen to increase your bite ratio. When I go fishing I try to use fresh line from a large spool that does not have a set in it. After each fish I cut back the line until I see at least 5-6 feet of straight line.

I use a open looped uni knot on anything but heavy line when the bite is picky. (rocks tuna, bluefin exc..) I have had no problems with that knot and do not use ringed hooks unless I use 80# or higher.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
just depends....most of the time I'll use a ringed hook if the bait is weak or weak current I'll use just a open uni less drag and less weight....

But seriously I'd much rather be lucky than perfect... I think sometimes we over analyze this kinda stuff......:)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I like to use the idea learned from an older angler I know only as Frank, who's theory was to bit-by-bit move the odds into your favor.
Pick a good bait, moves it a little.
Ringed hook, moves it a little.
Fluoro, moves it a little.
Etc, etc.
By themselves ringed hooks don't make a big diff, but when you do all the little things you can, before you know it, you're one of the hot sticks!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Ringers work very well especially on surface bites - the "bit by bit" post was dead bang on. As to your concern for heavy/shiny, I previously operated on 100% stealth - smallest possible dull color hook, smallest leader, smallest sinker etc. and over time (and many lost fish) noticed that (within reason) hooks don't seem to matter. Smaller or fine wire hooks and leader lose fish, especially bigger fish- period. Nowadays I prefer the largest hook (both size and thickness)in black chrome the bait will carry, altho shiny Duratin or Mustad bronze work equally as well. IMHE attitude, fishing at the bait tank, ringed hooks, and FC are the main factors for getting bit.

·
Registered
376 Posts
at a buck or so each i have not been very fond of them. i grew up when we had anchovies ,not big old dine's and we caught tons of fish without ringed hooks, floro and spectra. that said , if you feel they help you catch more fish use them. i personaly don't have a ringed hook in my box. until someone just totally kick's my ass with ringed hooks and floro i will continue to fish like i allways have, picking the best bait, carefully getting it in the water and letting it swim away fast and free. this has worked for me,for 25 plus years, so i see no need to change.

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
Nothing new about ringed hooks, they were around 40 years ago when I was a kid and my dad would use them occasionally. I think it was VMC was making ring back then but I?m not sure. I use them pretty often, and they don?t really cost much in the scheme of things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.