Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been mulled over a few times. Sorry guys but it seems the trend with topshots has been getting shorter and shorter.

From how I see it the shorter the topshot the easier it is for the dine to swim, which can result in more bites. The downside, chafing at boatside, spectra tangles rubbing on the anchor. I am sure there are more. What length do you guys consider to be too short and what might be too long and at what length does your RISK REWARD relationship balance out?

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Depends on what one is fishing for and if it's bait jigs on the hook or drifting what the water conditions are how good the bait is lots and lots of factors determine what length my topshot will be...

I have fished as short as 5 feet but mostly they run about 25'...my main goal is to get bit...then I'll worry about the details. 8)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fishybuzz said:
Depends on what one is fishing for and if it's bait jigs on the hook or drifting what the water conditions are how good the bait is lots and lots of factors determine what length my topshot will be...

I have fished as short as 5 feet but mostly they run about 25'...my main goal is to get bit...then I'll worry about the details. 8)

Let's just say we are fishing the slide on the lower banks for large YFT.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
buy2ls said:
Maybe this has been mulled over a few times. Sorry guys but it seems the trend with topshots has been getting shorter and shorter.
Oh boy, here we go again! ;)
buy2ls said:
From how I see it the shorter the topshot the easier it is for the dine to swim, which can result in more bites. The downside, chafing at boatside, spectra tangles rubbing on the anchor. I am sure there are more. What length do you guys consider to be too short and what might be too long and at what length does your RISK REWARD relationship balance out?
buy2ls said:
I like a short top shot although not as short as some. About 25'- 35' give or take does me just fine. What I like best is the contact you have with your bait, even with a heavy topshot. I've never had an issue with the anchor or at boatside because of fishing short. Many people say that you have no give or "cushion" fishing short and while that is true, if your drag is set properly you shouldn't need to worry about breaking off.

This post edited by Baja Dreamer 06/12/2008

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baja Dreamer said:
buy2ls said:

buy2ls said:
buy2ls said:

I like a short top shot although not as short as some. About 25'- 35' give or take does me just fine. What I like best is the contact you have with your bait, even with a heavy topshot. I've never had an issue with the anchor or at boatside because of fishing short.

Many people say that you have no give or "cushion" fishing short and while that is true, if your drag is set properly you shouldn't need to worry about breaking off.
The same with fluro? more than 25' seems a bit pricey!!

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
buy2ls said:
Baja Dreamer said:
buy2ls said:

buy2ls said:
buy2ls said:

I like a short top shot although not as short as some. About 25'- 35' give or take does me just fine. What I like best is the contact you have with your bait, even with a heavy topshot. I've never had an issue with the anchor or at boatside because of fishing short.

Many people say that you have no give or "cushion" fishing short and while that is true, if your drag is set properly you shouldn't need to worry about breaking off.

Pricey????? you just paid $3000 to get on the boat and have probably another $5000 in gear and you think 25' of FC is pricey.....lmao

Fishing the slide for BIG YFT ...25' of 130# soft steel...yea baby.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well? maybe we ought to redefine "Pricey" as 10 100' Blackwater fluro topshots of 100lb, 130lb 150lb and a few of 200 for the hell of it. Really though see no need for fluro longer than 25'? You guys really like that Soft Steel huh? Do you like the Ultra? What about thier fluro?

This post edited by buy2ls 06/12/2008

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
buy2ls said:
For straight fluoro topshots I usually just dived the smaller coils or spools in half or in thirds, depending on how long they are. Seaguar 130 for instance I get in 15 meter coils and I just divide it in thirds. This gives me three topshots that are just over 16' long and in calmer conditions this is just fine for me.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
fishybuzz said:
Pricey????? you just paid $3000 to get on the boat and have probably another $5000 in gear and you think 25' of FC is pricey.....lmao
That's one "gotcha" for David! ROTFL!!! 8)

fishybuzz said:
Soft Steel is good stuff alright, but I still like my Izorrope! ;):tu:

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Baja Dreamer said:
fishybuzz said:
That's one "gotcha" for David! ROTFL!!! 8)
fishybuzz said:
Soft Steel is good stuff alright, but I still like my Izorrope! ;):tu: FISH HARD!
I like the kinder and gentler Soft Steel Ultra....... Izorrope is too stiff for my delicate disposition :p The only heavy FC I only use is Seaguar...in the lighter weights 20# thru 60# I like Seaguar, Ande and Triplefish FC.

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/13/2008

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
buy2ls said:
Well? maybe we ought to redefine "Pricey" as 10 100' Blackwater fluro topshots of 100lb, 130lb 150lb and a few of 200 for the hell of it. Really though see no need for fluro longer than 25'?
First off, those lengths certainly would be expensive! 8*

But there is no need at all for fluoro topshots that long. You don't get the same amount of stretch in fluoro as you do in mono, and if it's rough enough to need that long a topshot, you don't need flouro for stealth anyway!

Another way to look at it is; If 2'-4' works for a leader on lighter lines, why would you need more than that on your heavy rigs? Many boats recomend using a 3' fluoro leader on a heavy rig, but personally, I don't like the extra knots, crimps, or other hardware so I just use a straight fluoro topshot.

buy2ls said:
You guys really like that Soft Steel huh? Do you like the Ultra? What about thier fluro?
Yup! It's good stuff and so is the Soft Steel Ultra. I like that in the 175 lb. because it has the same diameter as 130 Izor and it's very limp line as well as being strong.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
I have been fishing about 8 to 10 feet of straight Seaguar flourocarbon for big fish, big swell or flat calm, landing them. Trust me, it is not for everybody. The abuse my body takes on some headshakes sometimes makes me wonder why I do it, but I really like the way it fishes.
It's not for every boat either. Some boats have a problem with the short topshots, some welcome them.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
wahoodad said:
I have been fishing about 8 to 10 feet of straight Seaguar flourocarbon for big fish, big swell or flat calm, landing them. Trust me, it is not for everybody. The abuse my body takes on some headshakes sometimes makes me wonder why I do it, but I really like the way it fishes.
The 'hoodaddy has a standing appointment with his dentist after every long trip to get his fillings replaced! 8*
wahoodad said:
It's not for every boat either. Some boats have a problem with the short topshots, some welcome them.
Really?! Hhmmm, which ones? ;) FISH HARD!

This post edited by Baja Dreamer 06/13/2008

·
Registered
312 Posts
For the slide, I'd say there's not much need for a short topshot. The boat's moving and you're slowly dragging the bait through the water (due to imperfect freespool). In fact, I'd argue that the more drag your line has (more mono), the less your bait will get dragged behind the boat. Once the boat stops, then a short topshot might be important again but by then, you should be bit.

On the Excel, they recommend 200# leaders for the slide since they are not line shy, etc.

I use a 50yd topshot with either straight tie 130# Izorline or 200# Izorline leader.

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bearwell said:
For the slide, I'd say there's not much need for a short topshot. The boat's moving and you're slowly dragging the bait through the water (due to imperfect freespool). In fact, I'd argue that the more drag your line has (more mono), the less your bait will get dragged behind the boat. Once the boat stops, then a short topshot might be important again but by then, you should be bit. On the Excel, they recommend 200# leaders for the slide since they are not line shy, etc. I use a 50yd topshot with either straight tie 130# Izorline or 200# Izorline leader. Chris
That's interesting. The drag of the longer topshot helps pull line off the reel to get the dine into the zone when you are sliding back. So It would make sense to have one longer rig set up for slide drop back and a short one for flylineing. Very cool Jeff

This post edited by buy2ls 06/13/2008

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
wahoodad said:
I have no problem getting a bait back on the slide.
Me neither.

And a slight problem I noticed for the folks using a longer top shot was that as the heavy mono line would start to come off of the reel, it would also have a tendancy to "unwind" on their spools and make a sort of a "light bird nest". This made it much harder to get the line off of the spool than it was for those of us using the short topshots and only had to watch spectra come off the spool.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Baja Dreamer said:
.......a slight problem I noticed for the folks using a longer top shot was that as the heavy mono line would start to come off of the reel, it would also have a tendancy to "unwind" on their spools ....
Now that is a problme I have when using longer lengths of Izor-rope 130. Great line but even on a 50 size reel as soon as it looses a little tension on the spool it kinda goes "sproing" (get that technical term??) and then there is a mini-birds next to deal with...... I love that line when I am tying knots or hooked up but man it can be frustrating getting it out.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.