Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lal and Cory with quality Yellowtail, 30, 33, 34 & 34 lbs.

Rising early, with very little sleep, I met Lal at his house in Cerritos at 1:30 am. We launched out of Davies landing in Long Beach. Cleared the harbor by 2:12 am, destination Avalon, Catalina to pick up some squid before pursuing the ghost! No squid in the local receivers.

The ride over to Catalina was a rough one, making only 15 knots most of the time. About 8 knots of wind and plenty of washing machine swells. Visibility was good, yet without a moon hiding behind overcast skies, it was pitch black fo most of the journey. We hailed a light boat when we reached a position about three miles off the Island. Our reply came back with no light boats in Avalon, try the backside.

As we passed the east end we were able to make contact with the light boat Clara Marie. Picked up a generous ½ scoop of very healthy sized squid. The Armada (about 20 boats) was hanging just off the third Vee to about ¼ mile west to Palisades. We found a fishy spot in 90? of water, approximately 100 yards inside of a light boat, working for a seiner operation. Soon after we anchored up, the seiner came close by and wrapped the squid float. As they dispersed the net, they continued to release under water firecrackers to frighten the numerous seals feeding on the squid. We thought, no chance the ghost is going to make an appearance with all this noise?

At 6:30 am my dropper loop goes big time bendo! Big fish on, and off to the races. Gad these tails can pull hard, on 50 lb. no less? After a 10 minute fight, Lal sinks the gaff in what turns out to be the baby of the day, a 30 lb. tail.

Lal no sooner hands me the gaff loaded with tail, and his 40 lb. sliding sinker rig goes off. Yikes this fish is headed to the high grounds, ripping out line with a screaming drag. A valiant fight for 12 minutes, and this 34 Lb. Yellowtail hits the deck.

At 7:15 am my dropper loop gets bit again in the rod holder, I?m working my 30 lb. outfit with a small rubber core sinker, and quickly hand it to Lal, while setting the on another big Yellowtail. As Lal reels in my rig, he gets bit on the wind in, and we have a double going. I look over and Lal?s fish is taking drag so fast, he is quickly into the spectra backing. His fish was easily 400 to 500 feet out, and looked like would tangle in the anchor rope of a nearby boat. Fortunately this did not happen. My tail comes to deep color and shortly is within gaffing range; Lal puts his rod in the rod holder, and sinks the gaff in another 34 Lb. Yellowtail.

Lal returns to land his fish, which fights hard to the finish. Finally we see color, and I gaff a 33 Lb. Yellowtail, wow what a sensational morning of big tail fishing.

We had no more action for the next hour, and decided to pull anchor, then worked our way west to fish the beaches and milky water, hoping for the elusive ghost, or some icing on the cake with a nice Halibut. Made it all the way to China point with no biters. The wind was picking up, so we headed to the front side of the Island, and finished our day at Empire, with nothing to show for our efforts. Not wanting to risk a difficult ride home with forecasts of higher winds in the afternoon, we called it at 12:30 pm. The ride back being quite pleasant.

Some more pic?s at Lal?s house.

4 Big Tails ready for the knife.

The filet table loaded with tasty hamachi filets.

How about this thick filet for sashimi tonight?

Thanks again Lal, it was a day to remember.

Hook up! Cory

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
I don't know how to repy.

I thought of two replies.

1) Oh, so ya struck out huh? No white sea bass eh? You loosers!! Only some stinky 30+ pound yellowtail. Geez. Pretty lousy angling!:)

2)HOLY CATFISH!! What monsters! My biggest YT (even with LR fishing) is only 37 pounds.) Back when I fished local areas, I never got one above 25 pounds. And you guys nail 4 (FOUR) over 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which boat were you on? The blowup, or real vessel?

(Oh yeah, congratulations!)

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
re: I don't know how to repy.

Oldtimer said:
I thought of two replies.

1) Oh, so ya struck out huh? No white sea bass eh? You loosers!! Only some stinky 30+ pound yellowtail. Geez. Pretty lousy angling!:)

2)HOLY CATFISH!! What monsters! My biggest YT (even with LR fishing) is only 37 pounds.) Back when I fished local areas, I never got one above 25 pounds. And you guys nail 4 (FOUR) over 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which boat were you on? The blowup, or real vessel?

(Oh yeah, congratulations!)
Yep we were fishing on the Rubber Ducky! 18' blowup boat, burnt 17 gallons of gas, for just under 100 miles. Can you say affordable? Yee ha! What it lacks in comfort, it makes up for in economies of scale! A die hard fishing platform!

·
Registered
10,241 Posts

Gotta love it when the bait costs more than the fuel. :tu: Nice guards...may have to rename the boat Bloody Duck now. :p I'm entertaining my in-laws from New York. I needed this vicarious fix.
Congratulations on a fine catch and the smart move to beat it back early. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
We were fishing just east of you next to the Freedom. I'm suprised you only have four because every time we looked over at you you guys were bendo! We only saw one WSB caught. Our boat had 2 hookups, one 34lb yellow landed, one about the same lost on anchor line of another boat and one 29" halibut. Great job guys.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Great job we were out there to but I worked west of the group. I finally got a small but legal WSB and my partner got a little bigger one. They were not like the big ones, but I guess the fish gods felt sorry for me and let me have two.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nicely done.Steroil...hmmm maybe it's about time you need steroils Cory,just kidding. Did you see any 6 pack boat? The Dreamer and Phantom got limited yesterday. thanks for report cong

This post edited by JTIME5 06/12/2008

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.