Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing Wednesday 6-18-08 with Bill Fisher on his 18? Trophy. ?Toad Hall?. Bill has a really quaint residence near the water, off a cliff with a spectacular view, some 10 miles south of Rosarito. I drove down Tuesday afternoon from San Bernardino in record time, 2 ½ hours including getting the red light at the border (only a 30 second delay) and spent the night. Went out to dinner, after watching the first half debacle put on by the Lakers, which only got worse in the second half.

Rising at 4:30am we drove south to Las Salinas Marina. We left Bill?s slip in Las Salinas at a little after 5:00am, arriving at the Finger Bank shortly before 6am. It was extremely foggy, while the seas were calm, there was quite a bump, making the uphill tack unpleasant.

We began the day targeting rockfish, and/or giant squid in 250? to 350? of water. The Reds and Grumpy Grouper ?Extinct Bocaccio? were willing biters in a number of areas, although not as plentiful as in some past trips. The current was ripping, and as such each spot was usually good for only one drop before needing to re-position the boat.

In the first several hours we managed 7 healthy Red Vermillion Rockcod and a half dozen good size Bocaccio, to go with a bunch of Starries.

Bill with a couple of dandy Reds to six lbs.

Here I am with an average size Bocaccio (Salmon Grouper)

Here I am with a Red Vermillion Rockcod.

The wind kind of came and went, however, never really exceeded 10 knots, and mostly was in the 5 to 8 knot range. Around 11am we headed in cl to shore to fish for bass and other shallow water critters on the plastics. We caught numerous short Lingcod, and finally this Larger Ling slammed my plastic and started taking drag on my 15 lb. line. A good fight to the finish, on light tackle.

The bass were not very playful today, as Bill caught one sand bass about the same size as my one Calico bass.

Here I am with a Calico Bass.

The fishing remained slow in the shallows, so we gradually made our way back to the Marina, stopping in a few more deeper spots. This sheephead ate my jig tipped with squid in about 200? of water.

http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48c/data/506/Bill-Salinas-06-18-08_012.j]

[img]http://myfishingpics.com/photopost48c/data/506/Bill-Salinas-06-18-08_013.jpg

We ended our day at about 2pm, and stopped just inside the harbor to clean fish, and the boat. The fog never really lifted until we entered the Marina. Back to Bill?s to have a cold beer and take a siesta before making the long trek back to Diamond Bar. Crossed the border in San Yisidro in 45 minutes, I picked a bad lane, it should not of taken that long.

BTW the lines for gas below Rosarito, and above Rosarito were very, very long, all for Diesel, as I pulled right up to get regular gas at around $2.65 a ga. Figured I saved $25 bucks on approximately 12.5 gallons in my small truck. Reminds me of the late seventies waiting in line for gas. In TJ you could not even get near a gas station.
Bill, once again a fun day of fishing, I had a blast, as usual. Hope the tuna and tails go off soon. Thanks so much for the invite, and fabulous hospitality.

Hook up!
Cory

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BIG TENTACLES said:
You guys slayed em again. Thanks for the report Cory. I wish I had as much time at the rail as you. My days are a coming.
Tight lines, BIG TENTACLES OUT !!!!
I hope you find more of those days to be spent on the water. Big T!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.