Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. we have 12 days to go for our Willy&Hoodad trip. What are your intentions on the type of gear your brining.

I plan on 6 set-ups, (1) dropper loop set up
(1) Jig stick set up
(3) 40# set ups
(1) 50/60/80 set up

These are all mostly Avets, SX, MXL, 6/3, 30 , speedy 12, Boss Mag
Also assortment of iron, LTL's, (love them) an trolling feathers.1

If I need anything else, I'm sure between Fishy, Willy, Hoodad, it will be on board an they are all greascious enough to share.

11 days an a wake up gang.

Ray

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
Just setting Matt up. We'll share a long rod, no need for duplication there. We'll share a troller too.
1 Heavy for dropper loop
1 80# bait outfit (come on big bluefin)
1 60# bait outfit
1 50# bait outfit
1 50# yoyo rig
2 40# bait outfit
1 30# bait outfit
Tackle box crap doesn't matter, shoot 3 guys could work out of one box IMO.
Eight rods and reels, and I feel he has all he needs.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
ROTFLMAO at myself .....I have no idea what I'm taking, I packed a bunch of rods and a bunch of reels three weeks ago and took them out and stashed them at Cofe's and Iron Thrower's before my three day, I'm sure there is a adequate amount of whatever for whatever we'll run into.

And like Hoodad said we could all probably work out of one box....

This trip is imo shaping up perfectly...new moon, weather is setting up nicely, great skipper, awesome crew, good sign of fish and some of the best fishermen and some of my best friends around on board ......just won't get better than this.

and besides it is what it is....I'm going fishing!!!!!!:tu:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey Ray...I wish I could get down to 6 outfits..Right now I have 10 but think I'm going to leave the troller at home and use the boats rig..So that makes 9,until I think about it some more :) :) See you when you get off the boat as we will be boarding..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John, you know my intentions are limiting myself to just 6. But we all know things CHANGE> LMAO. Going to try my best to keep it that way. One thing great about LTL's is some of my sticks that I will use as 40# is capable of going higher. Willy, Hoodad, you think the kite will be used at the rocks. Never been on a trip to the rocks were it wasn't used unless the wind diden't co-operate.

Ray

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Iron Thrower said:
John, you know my intentions are limiting myself to just 6. But we all know things CHANGE> LMAO. Going to try my best to keep it that way. One thing great about LTL's is some of my sticks that I will use as 40# is capable of going higher. Willy, Hoodad, you think the kite will be used at the rocks. Never been on a trip to the rocks were it wasn't used unless the wind diden't co-operate.

Ray

LMAO Ray takes only six because he uses 4 of mine too....8)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the Nice gear list. I will be on the Excel Braid 8 day trip running the same dates. Looking really good, new moon at the Rocks and scattered yellows all over!! Justin will have to fire the third engine to beat you fishy guys down there:p Lets go get em!!
Steve

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys-

The Rooster office just cashed my check so I'm officially on. Can't wait! This is my first long trip since my 10 day back in 2004- darn time flies.

Anyway, I have been getting absolutely worked over at work and it won't let up until this Friday so I haven't even been able to think about it. The only thing I've been able to do is turn in my TLD 30 2 speed and Trini 16 to be serviced.

I plan on reviewing and purchasing all my terminal tackle this weekend.

This is what I'm planning on bringing:

80lb bait / trolling / drooper loop set up (2 speed)

60lb bait / dropper loop set up (2 speed)

50lb bait set up with Trinidad 40 (yo-yo and fishing tuna at the rocks or bft)

I'm also thinking of getting one of those smaller Avet 2 speeds to fish 50 and 60 on the yo yo and bait. Anyone have advice on this purchase or should I just stick with the Trini 40?

40lb bait set up for the bigger yellows and bft and possible wahoo at rocks?

40 lb set up on 100J for slinging the surface iron

30 lb bait set up - rod for albies /smaller bft / yellows

25 lb set up - trini 16 and 800L- rod for albies

25 lb - back up rod for albies/ fish trap

20lb scratch fishing on the albies

15 bass stick to screw around with Calicos if we stop at an island or the baja coast.

I haven't fished the RRIII yet. Any advice on preparing for boat and for the day of departure? I have no idea who I'm bunking with. I think I am the 2nd to last reservation so I might be low man on the totem pole. Do we sign in / board based on when we reserved our ticket?

So psyched for this trip. Been wanting to fish with Wahoodad for years, but could never find the right time. God knows, I won't ever be able to fill in the shoes for my little bro (zzzzz), but I'll try and pull my weight.

Just hoping the albies and bft keep getting with the program, but mostly looking forward to having the chance to fish Alijos. Man, I really hope we make it there- as I have been reading about the spot for over 20 years. See you guys in 12 days!

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
bajabaron said:
I'm also thinking of getting one of those smaller Avet 2 speeds to fish 50 and 60 on the yo yo and bait. Anyone have advice on this purchase or should I just stick with the Trini 40?

I haven't fished the RRIII yet. Any advice on preparing for boat and for the day of departure? I have no idea who I'm bunking with. I think I am the 2nd to last reservation so I might be low man on the totem pole. Do we sign in / board based on when we reserved our ticket?

So psyched for this trip. Been wanting to fish with Wahoodad for years, but could never find the right time. God knows, I won't ever be able to fill in the shoes for my little bro (zzzzz), but I'll try and pull my weight.

Just hoping the albies and bft keep getting with the program, but mostly looking forward to having the chance to fish Alijos. Man, I really hope we make it there- as I have been reading about the spot for over 20 years. See you guys in 12 days!
Welcome Chad, it will be great to finally fish with you. If you had the time and money, an Avet LX or JX is a great affition, as is a Boss B-2 665, but the Trini 40 would suffice.
Sign in is as you come to the office, but boarding is the order we signed up for the trip.
Guys, this is Chad Baron, Brad (zzzz) Baron's older brother.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fishy, since I have in my possesion 7 of your sticks,,,,,,,,,possession is 9/10tn's of the law.......LMAO,, Hoodad, you are giving lessons on that flying fish arn;t you?

Welcome aboard Chad, see you at the rail.

Hollywood

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Iron Thrower said:
Fishy, since I have in my possesion 7 of your sticks,,,,,,,,,possession is 9/10tn's of the law.......LMAO,, Hoodad, you are giving lessons on that flying fish arn;t you?

Welcome aboard Chad, see you at the rail.

Hollywood
Atta boy Ray, introduce some stress into our desert rat friends life. You can just say you forgot them or any other excuse.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Willy, what are friends for anyway??? LOL

Fishy tells me your going. Says your picking him up at the airport. Saves me a trip. He never pays for the gas anyway. LMAO.

What say you, fishy, hoodad go out for a great steak dinner thur. nite. My treat. Do they have a Sizzler close by. LMAO

Staying at the Vag. Have two beds, Fishy is bunking at your place so if anyone on this trip is comming down early, get with me an you can bunk also .

Ray

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Iron Thrower said:
Willy, what are friends for anyway??? LOL

Fishy tells me your going. Says your picking him up at the airport. Saves me a trip. He never pays for the gas anyway. LMAO.

What say you, fishy, hoodad go out for a great steak dinner thur. nite. My treat. Do they have a Sizzler close by. LMAO

Staying at the Vag. Have two beds, Fishy is bunking at your place so if anyone on this trip is comming down early, get with me an you can bunk also .

Ray
Sounds like a winner...but I'm at willy's mercy as he has the wheels....I do know we have to pick up the feet....

Hey Iron Thrower.....Is Sizzler's a Ruth's Chris franchise????? :p

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
If the doc says I can fish Thursday, this is what I would take:

1) 30# Outfit Super Seeker 670/Accurate 270
2) 40# Outfit Super Seeker 6470/Accurate 870
3) 50# Outfit/Bait Jigs Super Seeker 6465H/Accurate 665N
4) 60-80# Bait Super Seeker 6465XH/Accurate 665
5) Long rod (probably have to leave home hurt the back too much)/Newell 533 4.6.

Maybe double up the 40# but that's it. I don't troll or do the dropper loop thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
wahoodad said:
bajabaron said:

Welcome Chad, it will be great to finally fish with you. If you had the time and money, an Avet LX or JX is a great affition, as is a Boss B-2 665, but the Trini 40 would suffice.
Sign in is as you come to the office, but boarding is the order we signed up for the trip.
Guys, this is Chad Baron, Brad (zzzz) Baron's older brother.

Thanks for the welcome, David. I'll have the 5 rods I got from you ready to put the hurt on the fish.

I'm thinking of using some saved up credit card points and getting an LX or Boss 665 loaded with 60-65 pound spectra and a short 50 lb top shot. I figure that is a sweet all around two speed that can cast 50 lb a lot better than a TLD 30.

Does anyone know when check in and departure is? I don't see it on the website. I will unfortunately have to drive down from LA early Friday morning.

Psyched!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The boat leaves at 1:00 PM. Check in is min. two hours before leaving. Boarding is tied to check in. Suppose to get back at 9AM on the 5th. FS is going to be between 25/30 per day, permits $100 an JP is 35.00

10 days to go gang.

Ray

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Iron Thrower said:
The boat leaves at 1:00 PM. Check in is min. two hours before leaving. Boarding is tied to check in. Suppose to get back at 9AM on the 5th. FS is going to be between 25/30 per day, permits $100 an JP is 35.00

10 days to go gang.

Ray

Dang Iron Thrower...I'm gonna have to get a night job to pay for the FS and permits...LOL

I think boarding on the Rooster is by assigned numbers according to when you sent you $$ in not how early you get there the day of departure....willy correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.