Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought about posting this in the tackle board...but i really need input from private boaters on this one.

after having killed a few kodiak 1100gph bait pumps, i'm thinking about upgrading to the new rule tournament series pump with the bronze base. it looks like it's built solid and it will take advantage of the 1" thru-hull i have instead unlike the other pumps that all use 3/4" intakes. my concern is noise.....does anyone else have this pump? is it quiet? how do you like it?

input appreciated....

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Looks like a big jump in cost . .
http://www.cgedwards.com/Rule/rule03.html

Do you really need the extra water flow?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsea, thanks for the reply....i got antsy and went and bought one at west today. first time i've ever seen one in stock at a place actually. i got ripped and paid $135 for it even with port supply! oh well....when it comes to fishing i tend to be a little impulsive

do i need the extra flow? probably not. what i really hope to attain is greater reliability. this pump is heavy and built with bronze instead of plastic. i'm hoping it has a heavy duty stainless shaft and good sealed bearings that won't seize soon. i've been through too many kodiak/rule pumps in the last couple of years...and the most recent pump cost me half a tank of primo fat dines from larry's last weekend.

for anyone else that looks at this pump, it's not any quieter than the kodiak pumps but not any louder either. it's a different sound because it's a large pump that spins slower rather than a small pump that spins really fast.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
According to Live Bait Larry, it only draws 5 amps. Might be a good replacement for Jabsco Centry Puppy in a wet application. Does it have a plastic impeller or bronze? More info

http://www.livebaitlarry.com/high_output_pumps.asp

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
literature included in the box states a 4.8 amp draw at 12 volts, but the impeller is plastic. it probably would draw more amps if it had all that extra rotating mass....just a guess.

·
Registered
612 Posts
>literature included in the box states a 4.8 amp draw at 12
>volts, but the impeller is plastic. it probably would draw
>more amps if it had all that extra rotating mass....just a
>guess.
>
I have been using a Tounrament Series pump for about a year. It has great flow. It will overfill my 65 gallon bait tank if I dont divert some of the flow. If I remember correctly; 8.4 amp draw at 12 volts is stamped on the pump.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, hopefully you remember incorrectly or have lesdyxia because 4.8 amps sounds a lot better to me than 8.4 amps. either way, glad to hear you haven't killed it in a year. i've been through at LEAST two pumps in a year (which i attribute to being permanently immersed in saltwater in the slip).

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Edited for length

>for anyone else that looks at this pump, it's not any quieter
>than the kodiak pumps but not any louder either. it's a
>different sound because it's a large pump that spins slower
>rather than a small pump that spins really fast.
>
>

Slower RPMs should help it last. I killed 3 Shurflo 1100s in a year all with bearing failures. The third one I took to them for replacement the tech wanted to open it upwhile I watched. Bearing failure like the first 2. He told me that the projected life for them was about 2500 hours. The ones I had all died before that time. I doubt that being thru hulled in a slip has much to do with bearing failure.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have two, three year old Tournaments pumps with the plastic bases. The pumps are installed on a piece of starboard and include a valve manifold and 109db flow alarm which lets me know if I have pump failure and respond It's going to be difficult to loose a tank of squid or bait far from home.

One pump easily supplies enough water for my two tanks which total ~75 gallons. I've had no problems with the Tournament pumps however they do get fairly warm despite the water jacket. Based on prior experience with virtually all of the available 12v pumps I really don't expect them to last more than 5 years; I believe that they are warrantied for three. IME Larry has the best prices and offers great service.

The brass base Tournament pumps may be preferable to the plastic base models as the brass base pumps also use a brass impeller which permits the pump to shred most eel grass and kelp that gets through your strainer. IMO the plastic base should only beused if you need to get a source of water for a wash down pump without installing another thru hull. That said I have the plastic pumps and have been very satisfied.

One final thought. Upon opening the small Rule/Kodiak pumps that have failed over half have had eel grass or kelp clogging the impeller. When I addressed this issue by installing a Kodiak strainer over the clam shell pickup, my average pump life doubled. The easiest correction is to purchase a plastic strainer than easily Alternatively you can install an in-line filter between the pickup and your pump. This works very well but is more expensive.

John
Pescador
BlackWatch 31

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow thanks for the great info. time will tell....

one thing though, my bronze base pump has a plastic impeller. i wonder if they've gone cheap on their brand new models....

·
Registered
683 Posts
Been using the commercial grade Rulle 1500 with stainless shaft for 5-yrs without a hitch. Replaced it to keep as a spare and installed a new 1600 with brass bass. Fricking cranks and is quite. 4.8 draw. Suggest dump the puppy. They're great as a temp washdown pump but are louder than a sportie sitting next to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts