All Coast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe there are some WSB lurking along the coastline (boy do I need an excuse to go fishing!) I have had luck fishing for WSB rigged like you might for salmon (downriggers, flashers, etc) off Guadalupe beach. Can one fish this way prior to the opening of salmon fishing? Of course if you caught an incidental salmon it would be released.......just curious if you can fish rigged a certain way targeting another species? Your thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Generally speaking, salmon has more restrictions than other fishing, so any method acceptable for salmon should be acceptable for other fish. Methods are more relaxed south of Pt Conception anyway.

Your risk (and it's a big one) is NOT catching a salmon in sight of DFG using lures that are designed for salmon. If you don't have any fish on board, then it's your word against theirs that you are "targeting" salmon or seabass.

You'll pretty much be 100% guilty if you hook and reel in a salmon on your "WSB flasher rig". You'll be 100% innocent if you reel in a WSB. With no fish on board, you may be 50/50. However, being south of Pt Conception, you may be 75/25 innocent in their eyes. On the other hand, if some salmon has been caught near the area, you may just become 90% guilty even with no fish on board. The closer we get to April probably also shifts the presumption of innocence closer to presumption of guilt.

It seems like some grey area to me. If you're comfortable with grey areas, go for it. If not, keep the salmon gear at home.

So you just have to ask yourself one question, "Do you feel lucky?"

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks....that was a great response and very similar to one received by a friend that is very knowledgable about such matters. Basically it's interpretation. It's funny as we also bounce ball for halibut using flashers and hoochies etc....like salmon. Also, I would be fishing in closer to shore rather than in 200+ feet of water. BTW I was kinda surprised this question was moved as it IS a fishing question, but whatever works. Again, thanks for the comeback.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Your post was moved because the OTHER board is for FISHING REPORTS ONLY.

Thank You.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

G

·
0 Posts
Your welcome, and thank you. I'm just offering MY interpretation.

I also fish with a guy who is very knowledgable about such matters, so I need to stay on my toes.

Good luck on the seabass - looking forward to reading/posting some reports soon.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Email or call Ed Roberts at the DFG:

Edgar W. Roberts III
Marine Biologist
California Department of Fish and Game
619 Second Street
Eureka, CA 95501
707.441.5757 Office
707.445.7883 Fax
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
You CAN troll for WSB using salmon gear like flashers and hoochies before the salmon season opens.

You CANNOT have a salmon in your possesion before the season opens.

Dave
My Three Sons

G

·
0 Posts
The definitions of Take/Hunt/Pursue are the grey area here.

You CAN be cited for hunting salmon out of season. If the warden thinks your intent is to poach, you can be cited.

You MAY NOT be sucessfully prosecuted.

You MAY have a really tough time explaining an incidental catch of salmon with that rig.

If noboday sees you, then you WILL NOT have a problem if you release it. The possesion part is the easy part - just don't hook up a salmon while trolling deep.

I think the definitions of Take/Hunt/Pursue are intentionally linked together in the code to allow for interpretation by the system. Hopefully common sense always prevails (taking into consideration of depth/location, etc.).

How likely is someone to be sucessfully prosecuted if they hook up a salmon while targeting WSB with a down rigger and hoochies (a rig common for salmon, and not so common for WSB)? It depends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts