All Coast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closed on the boat and left San Diego around 5:00pm headed to Dana Point....arrived around 10:00 and settled into guest slip for the night. Wanted to leave early Friday, but realized the "stuffing" boxes were leaking like a water hose. Finally located a wrench and tightened down on them and left by 10:00am. Ride to around Long Beach was fine but cleared Long Beach and set across the Bay and wow!, the wind started to build, the seas started to build, and within a few hours we were off Point Dume in 5-7 ft. swells about 2 (maybe 5) seconds apart and 30 knot winds with gusts to 40 knts. It was UGLY! We burried the bow twice in a row and sent green water over the fly bridge...it was time to sneek closer to shore. Turned into Paradise Point and set the hook waiting for the wind to lay down. What a nice anchorage! Sandy bottom, very well protected, and if you had "get ashore" abilities (we didn't), there was a nice resturant. Spent the night and made it to CIH harbor in 2 hours Sat. morning. A few things I "re-learned"...I didn't have my good anchor with me "cause I didn't think I needed one! Two, I didn't have any FOOD! (unless beer is food) 'cause I thought we would make it home. I was brain dead! Luckily, the friend that helped me bring her home had a sense a humor. The weather forecast really missed the wind this weekend, but I was re-enforced that I need to be prepared for anything! The only thing I can say is that I was happy that the 1975 35' Viking weighs in at 22,000 and the twin diesels power through just about anything. Isn't boating fun?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Frank....I'm at H36 in Vintage. I dinked over to your boat on Saturday to look at your ladder. I was looking for something that also worked for getting into the boat from the swim step. The boat next to yours had a single step halfway up the transom...maybe an idea! I'm going to miss my transom door. We'll have to get together soon. Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts